Hello :)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Kyorax
Diet: Meat-Eater

Hello :)

Post by Kyorax »

Hi everyone,
my name is Dominik and I am 15 years old. I live in Munich, Germany.
I was brought up with the Christian faith, but we rarely visited a church. My mother believes in the biblical story of creation while my father is an atheist. Until 3 years ago, I believed in a god as well, but I was sceptical regarding the biblical story.
I became really interested in science at that time, which made me question my faith even more, because it didn't seem to make much sense. There's a scientific explanation of our existance that is based on evidence, not just on blind faith. Moreover, I could have been born anywhere else in the world and would believe in a totally different story. I watched a lot of videos about atheism and debates between atheists like Richard Dawkins and theists, which made it very clear to me: there is no evidence to justify a belief in a deity. I also read Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion", which gave me an idea why we have religions today and how little sense this concept makes. We have religious education in school, but I decided to go to the ethics class after that.
It feels good to have an evidence based worldview instead of blindly believing what some old book says. I have been discussing a lot on youtube in the last months, but the people I discussed with usually just skipped the questions they couldn't answer and tried to change the topic. That's one of the reasons I am here: I'd like to have some interesting discussions with good arguments.
I discovered "TheVeganAtheist" yesterday and really liked the way he reasoned his arguments.

About my diet: I'm currently a meat-eater, mainly because I like the taste and I haven't thought about it too much. Most people I know eat meat, too, but I know some vegetarians. Vegetarianism is quite common here in Germany (about 9-10%), but the people I met never really had convincing arguments for becoming a vegetarian. However, this channel made me interested in that topic and after watching some videos about it, I plan to eat less meat and eventually become a vegetarian, maybe a vegan later, but that will take some time as I'm really used to eating animal products.

A bit about myself:
I like reading and I have been playing the piano for 5 years now. I also go jogging from time to time.
My plan is to study biology, physics or chemistry after finishing school. Although I'm not quite sure what exactly to study, I know that it will be something that has to do with science. I have been learning English in school for about 4 years now, so I still make a lot of mistakes. Sorry for that. Please correct me as often as you can! I'd like to improve my language skills.

I'm looking forward to interesting discussions about religion and learning more about veganism!
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello :)

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum Kyorax. Is your community (i.e. friends/family) religious? How do they respond when they find out you are an atheist?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome!
It's amazing to hear you'll give a try for veg*nism.
The Vegan Forums already have lots of suggestions, recipes and diet advices.
What do you like to read?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
Kyorax

Post by Kyorax »

My mother is religious, my father is an atheist. She just doesn't like the idea of not believing in god, she thinks we should respect him and ackknowledge his existance, but she doesn't believe in heaven or hell. She thinks that the church just made that up. So her reaction was pretty mild. She doesn't like it, but she accepts it.
My father likes that I think critically and gave up my faith.
My grandparents died before I became an atheist.
Well, my friends had different reactions. Some of them aren't too familiar with atheism. They just assume that there is a god who created us without really questioning that, so it was surprising for them that someone doesn't believe in anything like that. I mean, they know that there are people who believe in something else, but not believing in anything is pretty new to them. But that doesn't change anything as they usually keep their beliefs to themselves.
All in all, atheism seems unusual to some people, but they will accept it and it doesn't change anything. People still treat you the same way.
Kyorax

Post by Kyorax »

thebestofenergy wrote:Welcome!
It's amazing to hear you'll give a try for veg*nism.
The Vegan Forums already have lots of suggestions, recipes and diet advices.
What do you like to read?
I am currently reading Richard Dawkins' books. I like his writing style and the topics.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi, and welcome!

I think I said it in the other thread, but that's awesome that you're so open minded, and working on going veg over time. We'll help wherever we can.