Hello

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Gregor Samsa
Diet: Vegan

Hello

Post by Gregor Samsa »

Hello. Found about this forum very recently because of the AY debacle. Seems like an interesting place. Decided to go vegan about 4-5 months ago.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Gregor!

It seems like a few people are joining from seeing that. It certainly throws into question whether any actual "murking" went on.

What inspired you to go vegan?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome to our community.

Did you find it difficult to go vegan? Are there any foods you miss?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:14 pm Welcome Gregor!

It seems like a few people are joining from seeing that. It certainly throws into question whether any actual "murking" went on.

What inspired you to go vegan?
What planted the seed was probably me eating dogmeat once when I was in China, a long long time ago. I ate it because I didn't see any valid reason to consume cows, pigs and chickens but not dogs without being a hypocrite. Problem was it didn't feel right at all.

Much more recently (about 5-6 months ago) I basically heard about an experiment with obese people in two groups. Group A were offered a slice of cake and had the option of knowing the calories in that slice. Most of the people then simply elected to have the slice without actually finding out the calories. In group B the same conditions applied except in this case they were told the calories even when they elected not to. What happened was that most of those people ended up deciding not to have the cake!

The reasoning is pretty obvious. You want the cake, but you know that if you find out the calories in the cake you can't justify eating the cake. So you remain willfully ignorant. The conscious mind is protected from the dissonance.

When I heard about this I thought "oh my what hypocrites", but then it just dawned on me that I had been doing the exact same thing with animals. I suddenly realized that the reason I had stayed away from pretty much any factory farming footage and slaughterhouse footage in particular was very simple: I subconsciously knew that if I watched some of that footage I probably wouldn't be able to justify consuming animal-products anymore, and since I wanted to be able to consume animal-products I had been actively avoiding it. And so I watched some footage. And nope, couldn't justify it. Not one bit. The only remaining hurdle was whether or not veganism was at least nutritionally adequate, which I pretty quickly found out was the case (again... willfull ignorance). And so veganism was the only way forward.
Last edited by Gregor Samsa on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa »

Jebus wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:30 am Welcome to our community.

Did you find it difficult to go vegan? Are there any foods you miss?
The only reaslly difficult part is eating out. I try to keep it vegan but I also agree with PETA's stance that pestering the waiters too much will make veganism look way more difficult and is thus counterproductive.

The main thing I miss is cheese. Big surprise huh :D
maledicenttails

Post by maledicenttails »

Gregor Samsa wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 am The only reaslly difficult part is eating out.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Is this allowed? I feel like this was just waiting for it..

But yeah, eating at restaurants can be difficult for newstarts. Im lucky enough to live in an area where I can pick and choose what food I can eat.
Gregor Samsa

Post by Gregor Samsa »

maledicenttails wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:47 pm
Gregor Samsa wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 am The only reaslly difficult part is eating out.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Is this allowed? I feel like this was just waiting for it..

But yeah, eating at restaurants can be difficult for newstarts. Im lucky enough to live in an area where I can pick and choose what food I can eat.
Haha I wasn't aware of that other meaning of the phrase.