Greetings from England :D

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
ReligiousAnimeNerd
Diet: Meat-Eater

Greetings from England :D

Post by ReligiousAnimeNerd »

Hey there!

I'm ReligiousAnimeNerd, although i'm not too religious. :lol:

I do eat meat, just cause it's tasty imo. However, I respect your opinion if you do believe eating meat is wrong.

About my "religion", I believe God can't be proven or disproven.

Thanks for your time reading my post :D
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Greetings from England :D

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi ReligiousAnimeNerd, I'm not sure what you mean by "not too religious", what are your ethics based on?

I would only say somebody is too religious if their religion is causing them to harm others.
Do you accept the scientific evidence for climate change?
ReligiousAnimeNerd

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 pm Hi ReligiousAnimeNerd, I'm not sure what you mean by "not too religious", what are your ethics based on?

I would only say somebody is too religious if their religion is causing them to harm others.
Do you accept the scientific evidence for climate change?
To answer the first question, what I mean by not too religious is that i'm on the verge of atheism, but not there fully

And as for the climate change question, yes. Because climate change has been around for a long time, because of the ice age and etc.
However, I don't really believe climate change is "man made" as it existed long before we existed. However, if you believe differently, then i whole heartedly respect your opinion.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ReligiousAnimeNerd wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 pm However, I don't really believe climate change is "man made" as it existed long before we existed.
That's like saying that you don't believe humans can chop down trees because trees fell over on their own before we existed. That does not logically follow. Humans can affect nature.

It's the speed of climate change which is man made. The normal rate of change is very slow, taking tens of thousands of years to see the same change we have seen in decades, and it has been that slow for all of history and prehistory (we have records from ice core samples and other sources).
This is the only time we have ever seen such rapid climate change. The scientific consensus is that humans have accelerated that change.

Climate change itself isn't necessarily dangerous as long as it's gradual; the world could adapt. But when it hits you like a bus, there's not much you can do to respond to that.

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.
ReligiousAnimeNerd wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 pmHowever, if you believe differently, then i whole heartedly respect your opinion.
It's not an opinion, it's scientific data, and it's about an objective state of the world which affects and harms living human beings.

An opinion is like "that movie sucks", what color the sky is or the fact that the Earth goes around the sun is not an opinion. Neither is the fact of rapid anthropogenic climate change. If you don't believe it's happening, then you probably just aren't familiar with the science.

What's your certainty level that humans are not affecting the climate? 100%? 50%? I'd like to get an idea of how committed you are to that belief.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ReligiousAnimeNerd wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 pmTo answer the first question, what I mean by not too religious is that i'm on the verge of atheism, but not there fully
OK, well, for a lot of people denial of science comes from religion. For example, Christians tend to deny climate change because they believe that after God flooded the Earth in the days of Noah he promised never to do it again, and they interpret that as meaning God wouldn't let climate disaster harm us, because they believe it is God, not man, who affects the weather patterns.
ReligiousAnimeNerd wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 pm About my "religion", I believe God can't be proven or disproven.
Would you be open to me disproving that belief by disproving "God"?

I usually don't bother, but I would say that you are too religious if your religion is causing you to reject science, and that rejection is harming others (as anthropogenic climate change denial is harming people).
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs266/en/

This hurts people, and it kills people. It's happening today, and if your belief (presumably religious in nature) that it's a scientific conspiracy is causing you to elect politicians who will ignore climate change, and to engage in personal practices that exacerbate it, then the belief needs to change. If that requires disproving "God" to do it, then that's what's necessary.
ReligiousAnimeNerd

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:24 pm Would you be open to me disproving that belief by disproving "God"?
Yes, I would.
Last edited by ReligiousAnimeNerd on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Hi ReligiousAnimeNerd, welcome! What brought you to the forum? I hope you like it here.
ReligiousAnimeNerd

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:14 pm
What's your certainty level that humans are not affecting the climate? 100%? 50%? I'd like to get an idea of how committed you are to that belief.
Well, I dont really look too deep into climate change and global warming and all that, so I'd say maybe 25%. I dont really know too much about it.Honestly I dont really know what im talking about.
But I do thank you for correcting me.
ReligiousAnimeNerd

DarlBundren wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:35 pm Hi ReligiousAnimeNerd, welcome! What brought you to the forum? I hope you like it here.
Ive been a fan of The vegan athiest for a while, and I was bored so I joined.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

ReligiousAnimeNerd wrote:Ive been a fan of The vegan atheist for a while, and I was bored so I joined.
And why had you been following a vegan page for a while, if you don't mind me asking? Do you already know some of the arguments in favor of veganism (or against ethical subjectivism?)? Do you find them convincing?