New member!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
adrienne
Diet: Vegan

New member!

Post by adrienne »

Hi

My name is Adrienne and am 52 years of age. I was prompted by my son, Jack, to join the forum as I am an atheist vegan! I've been vegan for nearly 20 years and atheist for over 30! I became vegetarian in 1985 prompted by a vegetarian friend at work and then decided to become vegan with my husband when we visited a vegetarian restaurant in Glasgow in 1994 and read a poster about veganism on their noticeboard. I live in Gourock in Scotland and don't meet many other vegans or atheists and so it is nice to think that I can be involved in a forum with like minded folk (and folk who are perhaps not so like minded!)
My reasons for not wanting to eat meat is that I think that I can survive very well without killing another sentient being and that there is plenty of plant food available on this planet to allow me to live healthily. I have plenty of friends who eat meat and I don't think that they are morally wrong for doing so. They have made a choice (informed presumably) which differs to the choice I have made and while I would challenge their choice, I don't think that their choice is wrong!
I have doubted the existence of God from an early age and while the question of where we come from is complicated, the fact that there is no evidence to suggest that we have been created by a god or a higher power, allows me to be happy in my uncertainty that that perhaps, human beings have not been created but have evolved over millions of years.
I look forward to being part of this forum!
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: New member!

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome adrienne! Thanks for joining our growing community. How is it living in Scotland as a vegan atheist? Do you find acceptance? Challenging to find vegan options?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome!
adrienne wrote:I have plenty of friends who eat meat and I don't think that they are morally wrong for doing so. They have made a choice (informed presumably) which differs to the choice I have made and while I would challenge their choice, I don't think that their choice is wrong!
Why did you choose not to kill sentient beings, then? Not because it's wrong?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Adrienne, welcome!

I think we should not say that others choice to eat meat is "not wrong"; that's too politically correct, isn't it?

Instead, we should admit and understand that it is wrong, but that in itself doesn't make them bad people.

We amount from sum of all of our actions in the world- good and bad. They may do some good things to help make up for the bad they do by harming animals. But they'd surely be better people if they kicked that bad habit. :)