Unnatural Vegan just said rice is bad.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
guitararvin
Diet: Vegan

Unnatural Vegan just said rice is bad.

Post by guitararvin »

Where does SHE get her carbs? I'm only asking cause she puts out good info so I want to follow her advice.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Unnatural Vegan just said rice is bad.

Post by Jebus »

Carbs is the last thing you need to worry about. There are carbs in nearly all plant based foods. You definitely don't need rice for this.
Last edited by Jebus on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Right, you only need enough carbs to stay out of ketosis (I don't believe ketosis is a state that's healthy to stay in long-term). For some people that's as little as 100 grams. If you want to be really safe get 150 grams of carbs; that would be 600 calories of carbs (about 30% of energy). Very easy to get plenty from veggies and beans without cereal grains.
It's OK to eat more carbs than that, up to about 60% of your energy is very reasonable (depending on your genetics and other factors, some people can handle even more than that). Too many carbs, particularly from sugar, sweet fruit, or processed non-whole grains can probably contribute to heart disease through elevated triglycerides.

If you're an endurance athelete you might benefit from some more carbs for easy to burn energy (since you might need 3,000 or more calories a day), your most nutritious option would probably be oats.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

To add to the above: if you do want to eat cereal grains, as I do, whole wheat is probably your best bet in terms of affordability, health and environment friendliness. Pasta and tortilla's are great if you combine them with a beans & veggies.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum