Hey!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
LogicLover
Diet: Vegan

Hey!

Post by LogicLover »

Hey everyone :)

I was raised my extremely religious Christian missionaries but that didn't work out very well and I went my own way! From the age of 5-15 I was a Christian by indoctrination, then whilst 16-19 I was terribly confused and went by "Agnostic," and from 20-26 has been a slide, from Agnostic to Atheist, which is where I stand now.

In terms of diet, I have been vegan for 8 months. Before then, I was an avid meat and dairy eater, but the rationality which was used to get me from Christian to Atheist also got me to look at the health and ethical reasons why I should move from being an animal eater to a plant eater.

TheVeganAtheist youtube channel helped me so much in my journey, I've probably watched 80% of the videos on archive and am still loving it! Sometimes I try to get a family member to watch some content with me but it normally ends with them getting outraged by the blasphemy (aka truth?) :roll:

Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to join this forum as my entire family is still religious, and it is nice to hear more rational points of view!

PS. I want to buy a VeganAtheist hoody! :D
PrincessPeach

Re: Hey!

Post by PrincessPeach »

Welcome to the forums ! You don't know how happy it makes me to hear;

LogicLover wrote:TheVeganAtheist youtube channel helped me so much in my journey, I've probably watched 80% of the videos on archive and am still loving it! Sometimes I try to get a family member to watch some content with me but it normally ends with them getting outraged by the blasphemy (aka truth?)

What kind of vegan food do you like to eat? :)
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi LogicLover, and welcome!

Great intro post, congratulations on going vegan; I'm glad VA's videos were able to help you so much.

Do you still live with your parents now in the hyper religious household?
LogicLover

Post by LogicLover »

Thanks for the welcome! :)
PrincessPeach wrote: What kind of vegan food do you like to eat? :)
I love a plant based diet, so lots of fruits, veg, grains and legumes! Cooking is awesome so I'm having lots of fun experimenting on my old favourite recipes but substituting the old unhealthy options for options which fit the new lifestyle :)

brimstoneSalad wrote: Do you still live with your parents now in the hyper religious household?
I live with my parents at the moment because London is a crazy expensive place to live! It was a huge struggle at the beginning but now they are learning to accept that me questioning things was not just a phase and are very slowly becoming more receptive to criticism. They live in a bit of a bubble so I feel that if I don't show the other side of the argument, that they will never really understand it!

It's really difficult. Obviously I don't want to cause any problems but I feel like my parents have suffered so much from stress which I feel is caused by relying on someone who doesn't exist so they are continually being let down and end up accumulating years and years of unanswered prayers! It really sucks to watch. :(

My sister, (also atheist but very spiritual and believes in "a force") left the family when she was 18 and doesn't talk to them about religion any more. She says that I need to stop talking about it to them too - that I need to just let them do whatever they want to do. I don't know... I feel like there is nothing wrong with having conversations about religion if both parties want are happy to take part?
:?
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum LogicLover. Great to have another vegan atheist in the community. How do you find being vegan in England? Ive always thought that since the vegan movement was born there, I would have thought it would be easiest being vegan there. Am I wrong?
PS. I want to buy a VeganAtheist hoody!
done. If you want something else made, or modified, let me know.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
LogicLover

Post by LogicLover »

TheVeganAtheist wrote: How do you find being vegan in England?
Of course I can't speak for the whole of England, but being vegan in London (and almost anything else for that matter!) is super easy. I cook most of my meals at home but every restaurant that I've been to so far has had either a separate vegan menu or at least a few vegan options to choose from. There are even two really great 100% vegan restaurant and buffets about 10 minutes from where I live which is pretty nice!
TheVeganAtheist wrote: done. If you want something else made, or modified, let me know.
Yay! Thanks, I can't wait to order it! :D
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

LogicLover wrote:
Of course I can't speak for the whole of England, but being vegan in London (and almost anything else for that matter!) is super easy. I cook most of my meals at home but every restaurant that I've been to so far has had either a separate vegan menu or at least a few vegan options to choose from. There are even two really great 100% vegan restaurant and buffets about 10 minutes from where I live which is pretty nice!

What a place to live! <3
Now when you cook do your parents partake as well?
LogicLover

Post by LogicLover »

PrincessPeach wrote: Now when you cook do your parents partake as well?
My mom has been in the USA looking after a sick family member for a while so I've been living with just my dad for the last 8 months. I thought I'd show him a few of the documentaries like "Forks over Knives" and see what he thought.... he decided he'd join me in giving veganism a go for 3 months (yay!) So we actually ended up going vegan at roughly the same time. I started cooking all the meals for us both and after the 3 months he was feeling and looking so much better that he decided to keep going and we're both at 8 months now! :D
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I hear what you are saying about your family members hating TheVeganAtheist's videos. I showed my Muslim friend his channel, and he clicked on "CRAZY SHIT The Quran Says" and he got all pissed off. He was saying stuff like the video is fake, etc. He also claims that all he does is bash on other religions, and don't even get me started on that. Anyways, welcome to the forum LogicLover! Hope to see more stuff from you soon!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

LogicLover wrote:
My mom has been in the USA looking after a sick family member for a while so I've been living with just my dad for the last 8 months. I thought I'd show him a few of the documentaries like "Forks over Knives" and see what he thought.... he decided he'd join me in giving veganism a go for 3 months (yay!) So we actually ended up going vegan at roughly the same time. I started cooking all the meals for us both and after the 3 months he was feeling and looking so much better that he decided to keep going and we're both at 8 months now! :D
What a beautiful story !

Mom's going to be in for a shock when she returns home, ay?

I want my mother and father to go vegan so bad it brings me to tears.
I think mom is realizing how healthy a vegan lifestyle, she looks at me and see's herself and a possibility of something that she may be again and then I know she looks at my son her grandson son who has been completely vegan since he was 13 months old and see's how healthy and smart he is and she cannot deny that how healthy of a family I've created. My son is 18months old now, he can count up to ten already, he can read words, he can sing parts of the alphabet, he also has 14 teeth already strong healthy and white, he has reached all the 2year milestones ...
I haven't watched fork over knives maybe I'll watch it then re-watch it with my parents.... !