I am surprised the name Jen wasn't already taken

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Jen
Diet: Vegan

I am surprised the name Jen wasn't already taken

Post by Jen »

Hi there, I'm Jen. I was born and raised in Northern Virginia. I now reside near St. Paul, MN with my husband of 8 years, and 18-year-old son.
I've been vegan for 6 years and though I am not religious, I enjoy taking the time to be thankful for everything positive in our lives.
Dream Sphere

Re: I am surprised the name Jen wasn't already taken

Post by Dream Sphere »

Hi Jen. :)

Have you tried introducing your husband and son to Veganism?

I've personally had success with getting my Dad to go Vegan, but while my Mom agrees with me for the most part, she's coming around to it much slower.

It's also nice to see that you've kept with Veganism as long as you have. I've only been Vegan for about half that time. :)
Jen

Post by Jen »

I don't handle or cook meat, so they were introduced to vegan cuisine from the start.
My son dabbled in vegetarianism at one point and eats much less meat now.
My husband's meat intake has declined more and more as the years have gone by. I love to cook, and he loves my cooking, so it works out that he only eats animals when he's at work, or when we order in/eat out. And for the past 6 months or so when we order from Chipotle or Which Wich, he's been telling me "I'll have what you're having".
I'm an ethical vegan, so I have no plans of ever going back. Thanks for the questions, and stick to it. I am still surprised how much time has gone by. :)
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Yeah, I'm an ethical Vegan too. I think all of the active members here are primarily so as well.

So, of course I'll stick to it. :)

That's really good that you've gotten both close family members to reduce so much. That's basically how I worked with my Dad, and he kept getting better and better over a year or two until the point he decided to go all in. So, don't push too hard (I'm worried I did that with my Mom,) but doing what you are doing sounds good as it sounds like it's continuing to encourage lesser animal product consumption.

If you aren't too busy, maybe you could offer making your husband some of his lunches to bring to work.

Here's a random question, but what music are you into? I assume having an 18 y/o son means you grew up in the 80's and early 90's? Those were some interesting times for music. Though in my favourite genre I prefer the 90's to the 10's, but I also like a lot of classic rock from the 50's to the 80's.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Jen! What inspired you to go vegan? Any particular documentaries or people?

I hope you like the forum.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Dream Sphere wrote:
If you aren't too busy, maybe you could offer making your husband some of his lunches to bring to work.

Here's a random question, but what music are you into? I assume having an 18 y/o son means you grew up in the 80's and early 90's? Those were some interesting times for music. Though in my favourite genre I prefer the 90's to the 10's, but I also like a lot of classic rock from the 50's to the 80's.
Often times he'll take leftovers. I'm not the best with making time for meal prep, but it's something I've been working on with frozen pb&j sandwichs and rice dishes.
I enjoy many types of music but a large chunk would be old school hip hop and r&b.
Last edited by Jen on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen

Post by Jen »

brimstoneSalad wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:05 pm Welcome Jen! What inspired you to go vegan? Any particular documentaries or people?

I hope you like the forum.
Thanks! Earthlings did it for me. I was unable to watch much of it without muting/fast forwarding. :cry:
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Jen wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 pm
Dream Sphere wrote:

Often times he'll take leftovers. I'm not the best with making time for meal prep, but it's something I've been working on with frozen pb&j sandwichs and rice dishes.
I enjoy many types of music but a large chunk would be old school hip hop and r&b.
That's good that you're doing what you can in regards to meal prep for family members. :)

Unfortunately, those two genres I'm not into at all really.

What other music are you into? My favourite genre is metal, but I like a fair amount of rock, plus a bit of folk, jazz/blues, ambient, and classical. As well as a tiny bit of country like some of the old country songs found in the game Fallout: New Vegas, as well as slightly more recent country acts (from the 70's as opposed to the 40's or 50's) like Jim Croce.

My favourite band is Blind Guardian who play power metal. Have you ever heard of them? I'm guessing you know Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Metallica. Out of those three bands Blind Guardian is most similar to Iron Maiden.

Here's a recent song from them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NAtNIbF61jY
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Hi Jen, are there many vegans in Minnesota?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Dream Sphere,
I do not enjoy metal, though I used to really love White Zombie. (Loving that he and his wife are vegans!) Love the blues, especially Stevie Ray Vaughan. I like a bit of Lana Del Rey.
Nostalgia hits when listening to Randy Travis and other country music that my grandma would listen to, but I wouldn't say that I like country.

Jebus,
I don't think there are many. I'm not especially social, and probably because of that fact I've yet to meet a vegan irl.