Hello

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
emmy138
Diet: Vegan

Hello

Post by emmy138 »

Hello, I go by Emmy. I'm 27, and I live in Georgia.

I'm an ethical vegan, and I don't really know a lot of vegans in real life. I'm a pretty regular watcher of Unnatural Vegan, and have seen the link to this board in the description of her videos. Hopefully, this will be a nice place to interact and also to get better at talking about veganism in general.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hello

Post by Red »

Hey Emmy! Welcome to the forum. What inspired you to switch to veganism?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Hi Emmy, welcome to the forum. :)

I'm curious, how long have you been Vegan? For me personally another YT channel related to this site called The Vegan Atheist got me to go Vegan in mid 2014.

There aren't a lot of debates here as nowadays most active members are Vegan and essentially agree with each other on key issues. But there are some very informative and helpful members here which can give you lots of information on ethics and rationality/philosophy, as well as practical advice for making Veganism easier for you.

Here's a random question, but what sort of music are you into? Are you into any Vegan bands? I need to know more Vegan musicians. :) Personally, metal music is a big passion of mine, but I'm open to many other genres too, like folk, rock, ambient/electronic, jazz, and classical.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Emmy! Georgia the state?

What inspired you to go vegan? Any documentaries or videos in particular?

I hope you like it here.
emmy138

Post by emmy138 »

I've been vegan for 4 or 5 years, I'm not really sure, but I first went vegan at 18 which only lasted a year before burnout. As far as making the switch to veganism, I've been vegetarian since I was 12, I've just always felt a lot of empathy towards animals and meat just seemed kind of obvious to avoid and to do less harm, but I always sort of assumed that dairy, eggs, and other byproducts were fine. I think I first became aware of veganism and the ethical arguments from going to the Warped Tour when I was a teenager where Peta and some other organizations would hand out leaflets and have booths about animal abuse with byproducts. As I said, I first tried to go vegan at 18, but it didn't stick, and after that, I knew that it eventually would be something I wanted to go back to. When I decided to try it again, I followed a lot of vegans on Tumblr who blogged about the ethics of veganism and seeing Earthlings helped motivate me. I also got on Colleen Patrick Goudreau's 30 Day Vegan Challenge after struggling for a while, and that helped me struggle less.

Yes, I live in Georgia the state.

As far as music I feel like I like a pretty good variety. I like a decent amount of electronic, Emancipator and Flying Lotus are some of my favorite producers, I'm a really big fan of hip hop, Run the Jewels/Killer Mike, and Kendrick Lamar being some favorites there, some neo folk and indie like Sufjan Stevens and Joanna Newsom, and I'm going through a really big morose 80s alternative phase, like the Cure, the Smiths, and Joy Division. Aside from Morrissey and Andre 3000 of Outkast I have no idea if any of the musicians I listen to are vegan. I think one of the singers for Thievery Corporation might be, and I remember seeing a video the lead singer of Sigur Ros did of making raw vegan recipes with his partner, but I have no idea if he's still vegan or if it is more than dietary.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

It sounds like your story with Veganism was pretty similar to mine. I'm 20 now, but I first went Vegetarian in 2012 when I was 15, a month or two after being Vegetarian I quickly went to Veganism and that lasted for a year until I burned out sometime in mid-2013, and rationalized that "eggs and dairy weren't inherently unethical" (I can't believe I was so ignorant of the practical issues which make those industries unethical, though part of why I also went from Vegan to Veggie was because the mostly rice diet I had been following wasn't working for me.) But at the age of 17 in mid-2014 I came across TVA and found this forum where I learned a lot about the ethical issues and also about how to have a sustainable healthy Vegan diet, so I've been Vegan ever since. I'm glad you returned to Veganism too. :)

As for those music artists, I think I've heard all of them by name, but the only ones I've actually heard music from are Kendrick Lamar, The Smiths, The Cure, and Joy Division. Though it's only been a few songs from each which I've heard. I remember liking The Cure, The Smiths and Joy Division. What are some of your favourite songs from them, and would you recommend any of them to me?

I haven't actually heard their music, but since you're into Sigur Ros, are you into any other post-rock or shoegaze?

This is the only post-rock band which I know and like, you might've heard them already, but if not here they are.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XaLT7xOoJc8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=waGDKnFv_Vg

Being into The Cure, Joy Division, and The Smiths, have you heard/like the band My Bloody Valentine? I haven't actually heard their music, but I've heard they're similar.

Here's a metal song I like with some neo-folk elements, their second album was 100% neo-folk but some of the vocals were less than stellar, I'll show it to you if you're interested though. But here's one song from their first album.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Ubctz2ywA
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Hi Emmy, many moons ago I spent a year in Georgia (Brunswick/St Simons Island). I went back to visit a couple of years ago and found things very backwards as far as veganism goes. It this your impression as well? Are things improving?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.