Denver/Boulder, Colorado, USA new individual

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
BernieBro420
Diet: Vegan

Denver/Boulder, Colorado, USA new individual

Post by BernieBro420 »

Hey-hey-hey! This is my obligatory introduction post. UV is constantly plugging this spot in her Vids, and I'm hungry for conversations with Hypothetical like minded folks.

Demographics: late 20s hetero married male.

Occupation: media Duke for a company headquartered in Boulder, and therefore half my time is spent there.

Ideology: Atheist. Anti-Theist. Social safetynet liberal. Effective Altruist. Phish fan. Vegan. Empirical data trumps all. Anti-Trump. Determinist. Consequentialist & so on & so forth. Sam Harris is almost always right.

Hobbies: Twitter shit posting. Woodworking. Staring into the genome. Attending concerts. Digging through 100 years of jazz recordings. Proving myself wrong. Arguing online
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Denver/Boulder, Colorado, USA new individual

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome BernieBro420, I assume the screen name is ironic?

How do you stare into the Genome? And when is Sam Harris wrong?
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

Username: Bernie Sanders can still win the 2016 election, and I want the world to know.

How genome is studied: You stalk C0NC0RDANCE on YouTube & Twitter.

Sam Harris may be wrong about free will. I'm not sure yet.

To form a grounded opinion on free will, I looked into the hot button topic of race and IQ. Conjecture & vacuous truths are bountiful, so I figured: there must be observable differences in biology if this has any truth. By the time I finished the remedial training, I was much more interested in the causes of Autism.

There is free software to search the HapMap. You can download it on GitHub. I look at studies, then look for a GWAS distribution of alleles in studies. From that point, I look at demographics that are complicit in the proposed effects of the study's subject. Then I look at environmental components.

^ This is how I'm trying to systematically understand society in a way that has as little opinion as possible.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

"BernieBro420"
A+

Welcome :D
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

Thanks! Feeling the positive energy from this forum radiating throughout my chakras, like a 3,000 year old breatharian inhaling the sounds of Jerry Garcia's spirit infinitely soloing at the quantum level in a world built of pure prana.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

BernieBro420 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:29 pm Username: Bernie Sanders can still win the 2016 election, and I want the world to know.
There are about a million posts where we're arguing about Sanders.
Basically whether his pseudoscientific beliefs weigh more heavily in the negative than his good ones.
EquALLity thinks he's a net positive (and that he might change his mind on some of the other things), but despite usually supporting Democrats, Sanders probably would have made me switch teams (due to his trade protectionism, anti-GMO, anti-Nuclear, and very pro-animal agriculture subsidy [particularly dairy] positions).

Booker 2016!
BernieBro420 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:29 pm Sam Harris may be wrong about free will. I'm not sure yet.
You should start a thread on it. :)
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

BernieBro420 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:14 pm Thanks! Feeling the positive energy from this forum radiating throughout my chakras, like a 3,000 year old breatharian inhaling the sounds of Jerry Garcia's spirit infinitely soloing at the quantum level in a world built of pure prana.
...What xD
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:43 pm
BernieBro420 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:29 pm Username: Bernie Sanders can still win the 2016 election, and I want the world to know.
There are about a million posts where we're arguing about Sanders.
Basically whether his pseudoscientific beliefs weigh more heavily in the negative than his good ones.
EquALLity thinks he's a net positive (and that he might change his mind on some of the other things), but despite usually supporting Democrats, Sanders probably would have made me switch teams (due to his trade protectionism, anti-GMO, anti-Nuclear, and very pro-animal agriculture subsidy [particularly dairy] positions).

Booker 2016!
BernieBro420 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:29 pm Sam Harris may be wrong about free will. I'm not sure yet.
You should start a thread on it. :)
Ok but -

1) Trump also had trade protectionism, so Trump wouldn't be better than him in this way
2) He's anti-GMO only in the sense that he wants mandatory labeling, which I don't agree with but don't see as a big deal
3) Nuclear energy is important, and this is the one thing that I think actually matters most in terms of him being wrong, but it's just one issue, and Trump is worse by literally denying climate change and by already having pulled us out of the Paris Climate Accord (by not enforcing it)
4) He's not any more pro animal-agriculture than any other politician. Don't most support subsidies for animal agriculture? Not because they support factory farming, but because they want to help farmers. Bernie has a pretty good rating according to animal activist organizations overall. Meanwhile, Trump's sons hunt animals for sport...
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome to the forum. Why did you choose to get married if you are an atheist?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 am 1) Trump also had trade protectionism, so Trump wouldn't be better than him in this way
And as it turns out, that was bullshit. Trump caved to the party and hasn't acted on that nonsense.
I don't think Sanders would change his mind on that. In this case, doing what he said he would is very dangerous.
EquALLity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 am 2) He's anti-GMO only in the sense that he wants mandatory labeling, which I don't agree with but don't see as a big deal
It may or may not, but I seem to remember some mandatory labeling of a certain arbitrary group pre-World War II, and we know how that turned out. ;)
Just saying, labels aren't always just labels. It's an unconscionable exercise of government authority against GMO technology for the sake of populist fear mongering. Either he's actually against GMOs (which remember he said once, so we don't know what else he'd do), or he's compromising his ethics on this.

It's important to note, too, that Sanders is responsible for promoting alternative medicine too and getting insurance to cover it, which is government sanctioned pseudoscience that's probably already harming millions of people. That's one of his greatest legislative "successes" and it's pure evil.

I don't trust him. Or rather, I trust him to do evil. Yes, what's done is done and since he already did it I can't complain that he'll do it again (I don't really hold the actions of the past against people, just their policies), but I expect him to do something similarly harmful against agriculture if he gets a chance.
EquALLity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 am 3) Nuclear energy is important, and this is the one thing that I think actually matters most in terms of him being wrong, but it's just one issue, and Trump is worse by literally denying climate change and by already having pulled us out of the Paris Climate Accord (by not enforcing it)
Trump hasn't done much beyond symbols, though. What's the actual impact of Trump's actions today? Sanders would have the power to stop nuclear power and steer the entire country's infrastructure in the wrong direction. A mistake that would cost trillions, and potentially many thousands of lives, and cost precious years in addressing global warming.
EquALLity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 am 4) He's not any more pro animal-agriculture than any other politician. Don't most support subsidies for animal agriculture?
He's about the most pro-industry as you can be without being a Republican. Most Republicans do, though, yes. He's probably not much worse than the average Republican.

Booker doesn't seem to be any fan of agribusiness subsidies:
https://www.booker.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=20
EquALLity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 am Not because they support factory farming, but because they want to help farmers.
Then subsidize vegetables instead of dairy. :)
Or better yet, end them entirely and give consumers point of purchase credits to buy more vegetables.
Food stamps seriously need to discriminate between vegetables and candy.
EquALLity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 am Bernie has a pretty good rating according to animal activist organizations overall. Meanwhile, Trump's sons hunt animals for sport...
Trump is terrible, but not really worried about what his sons do.