Denver/Boulder, Colorado, USA new individual

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Dream Sphere
Diet: Vegan

Re: Denver/Boulder, Colorado, USA new individual

Post by Dream Sphere »

So far, the album Naked City apparently has a lot of variety which is nice, and it's all tasteful to boot. So none of it feels phoned in or trying too hard, it all just sounds like he/they(?) had a lot of good inspiration and ideas and executed it all really well too. This is probably my favourite jazz album now, though in a way that's not saying much because I know very little jazz, but putting it in perspective I'd give this album a 9/10 or greater in terms of general enjoyability.
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

Check out Sun Ra's "Space is the place" or "my brother the wind" albums, that's a reasonable next move from Astro Black. During the late 60s-70s, he became dedicated to the afrocentric free funk zeitgeist, before that he was a modern jazz player in the same vein as Dave Brubeck or Art Blakey.

Lookup "Sun Ra Batman" & you'll get an album by "Dave & Dale" that's a little known Sun Ra Arkestra gem. It has a popular novelty quality.

Music suggestions: sure, I'm curious as to what you've got
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

BernieBro420 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 am GMO labeling has already happened (3) & virtually nobody noticed.
The law that replaced Vermont's ridiculously draconian labeling requirements with something more reasonable and clearly defined (only trans-species) with lots of exemptions, that will come into effect in a couple years, and probably just requires it to be on a website consumers can access for more information?

It's designed to not be very noticeable, but the anti-GMO crowd certainty noticed and they're not happy about it.
I do not think Sanders would have stopped there.

Hopefully S.764 will put an end to the madness, but there are still concerns about implementation.
The Vermont law needed to be struck down because it was affecting other states too, and I don't like the compromise but none of the anti-GMO people (as far as I know) do either.

BernieBro420 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 am The Democrats propose the GMO bills & Hillary, like Obama did, would sign them, just as Bernie would. It's merely futile speculation now though.
He signed it because it was a compromise that probably helped resolve the problem with Vermont's law that was spilling over into other states. Hillary may have too, but Sanders would have signed far worse; he probably wouldn't have signed S.764, he probably wouldn't stop until there was a surgeon general's warning covering half the package of any food that contains transgenic ingredients with no exceptions.
BernieBro420 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 am If you're looking to argue about nuclear power & GMO technology, then "The Bernie Community" was great for it; just like Veganism & Phish (who is from Vermont) Communities.
??
I'm wondering why you supported him if you know how serious the issue is.
We can't wait a decade to start changing course on nuclear power.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

BernieBro420 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:16 pm Check out Sun Ra's "Space is the place" or "my brother the wind" albums, that's a reasonable next move from Astro Black. During the late 60s-70s, he became dedicated to the afrocentric free funk zeitgeist, before that he was a modern jazz player in the same vein as Dave Brubeck or Art Blakey.

Lookup "Sun Ra Batman" & you'll get an album by "Dave & Dale" that's a little known Sun Ra Arkestra gem. It has a popular novelty quality.
That's great, thanks for all of the recommendations. :)
BernieBro420 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:16 pmMusic suggestions: sure, I'm curious as to what you've got
I'm uncertain if you'll be able to tolerate most of this since the vocals are harsh, but here's some metal with jazz elements.

Start from the first track by scrolling down to the track listing and picking it, for some reason the top play button will start you on track 4, but 2 and 3 are good to me. This album has elements of jazz, but also mixes lots of other genres. If you scroll down you can read a little thing on how the various people involved in making this album went about putting it together. Some of the music's a little obnoxious and cheesy, but most of it's grown on me a lot, so I hope you'll like it. https://selfspillerwitk.bandcamp.com/album/worms-in-the-keys

Here are a couple of the jazzier tracks from Sigh's In Somniphobia, and one from Imaginary Sonicscape. https://candlelightrecordsuk.bandcamp.com/track/iii-lexcommunication-a-minuit - https://candlelightrecordsuk.bandcamp.com/track/iv-amnesia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwixFR3Ul7Y

Here's some really dissonant stuff which's jazz influence is less apparent, since it doesn't share iconic jazz instruments like the sax. https://demilich.bandcamp.com/album/20th-adversary-of-emptiness - https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sacred-white-noise - https://gorguts.bandcamp.com/album/colored-sands

And here's another extreme metal song with some jazzy melodies and creative drumming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3xQPJQes8

On the other side of things, here's a couple songs with clean vocals that you might like, if you're into progressive rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaaY00A_0Bo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7719PHj3gd4

This was all off of the top of my head, so I might have better recommendations if I look through my lists of stuff that I'm into. I'm guessing that you might only like the two prog rock tracks if harsh vocals aren't your thing, though, but I thought that recing was worth a try nonetheless. I'll get to some of your other recs to me later today, so far it's been so good.
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:56 pm Sanders would have signed far worse
Funny you should say that, I don't feel like digging for the tweet, but I believe Bernie referred to it as Monsanto shillery.

Why Bernie? Because 420 all day everyday 😎👌 #blaize
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I'm listening to Ornette Coleman and Prime Time perform at Cologne/1987 on Youtube. So far some parts are very, very good, but other jamming sections seem a little aimless to me and start to lose my interest. Maybe I just don't currently have a good enough attention span/not quite in the mood for this style exactly right now. Overall I'd give it a 7/10 or 7.5/10 currently, though as said before some parts are really good and up there with how much I liked Naked City.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

BernieBro420 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:51 pm Funny you should say that, I don't feel like digging for the tweet, but I believe Bernie referred to it as Monsanto shillery.
Sounds like him.
BernieBro420 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:51 pmWhy Bernie? Because 420 all day everyday 😎👌 #blaize
But it's already happening on a state by state level. Doing it on the federal level only speeds things up a little bit... assuming you can get that level of support. And if there is that level of support, there will only be a few holdout states.

A little more 420 a little earlier for the conservative holdouts is more important than averting environmental catastrophe for the entire world?
Take5

Post by Take5 »

BernieBro420 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:21 am Intelligence, at my age, is primarily controlled by my genetics
Not so, BB - your intelligence was determined by the amount of stimulation you received in your early years. There are no genes for intelligence.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Take5 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:06 pm Not so, BB - your intelligence was determined by the amount of stimulation you received in your early years. There are no genes for intelligence.
The difference between a human and a chimp, or even a fruit fly, is a matter of of DNA. Genetics determine potential, so they have a lot to say about intelligence by nature. You can't teach a fruit fly calculus no matter how much stimulation you give it as a larvae. ;)
Early childhood and other environmental factors (even prenatal ones) determine if you reach that genetic potential.

Most of this environmental stuff has to do with 1. Prenatal nutrition (which rich and well educated people have more of)/not being exposed to harmful drugs or alcohol in the womb (again, well to do people have the upper hand there) and 2. Early childhood heavy metal exposure (which people in poor areas get a lot of).
The baby Einstein stuff is a myth (a myth that is very profitable for marketing). Upper class people who have time to give their children extra attention and money for special toys are also less likely to have their kids in an environment where they can be exposed to heavy metals during development, are more likely to take prenatal supplements and not drink, etc.

You have to really ignore or abuse a child long term to affect development and harm adult IQ, they're pretty resilient. Even a little stimulation will reach a certain necessary amount, and extra has diminishing returns. The baby geniuses who are taught calculus at five end up with about the same IQs when they're older as those who aren't, if you control for other variables, it just really doesn't matter much.

Anyway, either one can hold you back (environmental harm is by no means rare). The question is which, in the general population, is more likely to affect overall outcome. As it turns out, for adults IQ differences seem to be about 80% heritable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ
Heratability is a tricky concept, since it varies based on the range of environmental factors present.

Just because we haven't identified which genes contribute to intelligence in which ways doesn't mean we can say there aren't any genes for intelligence; there are likely many, and they interact in various ways.
Although not proven as linked to any particular gene yet, the correlation with certain genetic diseases to brain structure in Ashkenazi Jews and Intelligence is an interesting place to look.

That's not to say anybody's IQ is 100% written in stone; there are things you can do to help a little in a meta-cognitive sense, by exercising your brain and learning the patterns of thought that give it the tools to function more efficiency. And, of course, we can eat vegan and take DHA supplements to (probably) help prevent all the subclinical strokes that lead to brain deterioration in older age. :)