Denver/Boulder, Colorado, USA new individual

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
BernieBro420
Diet: Vegan

Re: Denver/Boulder, Colorado, USA new individual

Post by BernieBro420 »

My relationship with Sanders: Used to be a Vermonta, during those times I did what I wanna. Bought my groceries tax free in New Hampshuh', and that's for damn shuh!

Fortunately our founding father Montesquieu separated the powers of the federal government. Presidents, and the political parties that they lead, must pick their battles in Congress to pass legislation.

Do you think that a congressional majority could be summoned for GMO labeling legislation (1)? Nuclear, sure, and it would Germany again (2), except with the fury & attitude of American Rolling Coal. Nuclear needs a better lobby.

An underspoken problem with Sanders is the logistics of his healthcare proposal. Federal Government mechanics would allow for medicine to be leveraged in a budget battle. The bureau that would oversee approval/disapproval of health would be submitted to the authority of unrelated committees, and you'd see levels of political decay that are unlike the countries Sanders gloats about in his speeches. Fukuyama wrote a great piece in Foreign Affairs on this uniquely American phenomenon (3).

That's not to say I didn't root for Bernie over Hilary, but I hope this conveys that I'm not belligerently ideological.

Marriage question: we married for traditional reasons AKA financial benefits.

Freewill answer: before I got #WOKE with Harris, I believed in "Libertarian free will," this deterministic business is quite a shock to me. We're predictably enslaved by our environment & biology, and I'm trying to decide which issues are primarily controlled by which. For example: Intelligence, at my age, is primarily controlled by my genetics (4). However, having not killed anyone, or known many murder victims is a result of a successful society (5) . This paradigm shift has also made me loosely pick back up feminism #DownWithSargonWannabes #TeamGains #HaventShitPostedOnTwitterInHours #RandomlyHashtaggingNonsense

(1) http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/12/01/public-opinion-about-genetically-modified-foods-and-trust-in-scientists-connected-with-these-foods/
(2) http://www.environmentalprogress.org/big-news/2017/1/13/breaking-german-emissions-increase-in-2016-for-second-year-in-a-row-due-to-nuclear-closur
(3) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2014-08-18/america-decay%3Famp
(4) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4739500/#!po=24.6951
(5) http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/23/us/historical-study-of-homicide-and-cities-surprises-the-experts.html
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

Important
============

How do y'all mobile on this forum? Using iPhone. What's the best app?
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

Posting at 1:30 am #VeganAfterDark
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

BernieBro420 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:24 am Important
============

How do y'all mobile on this forum? Using iPhone. What's the best app?
I don't use a small screen (tablet is the smallest I've used the forum on), so I don't know, but others have said they zoom in on the buttons to push them. Since buttons aren't pushed very frequently, most use is just reading and typing, and the formatting shouldn't interfere with that much (aside from the small text, but that's unavoidable on a small screen).
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

BernieBro420 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:21 am Do you think that a congressional majority could be summoned for GMO labeling legislation (1)?
Yes. Fear mongering is very powerful.

Two issues:

1. This would bring the issue into the public spotlight and crank the fear mongering propaganda up to 11. And endorsed by the president.
Note in the pew poll how perceptions change as people hear more about GM food. From mostly neutral to a near majority against and believing it poses health risks. Very few people gain in favor.

2. There's a huge difference in magnitude of passion here. Most people who oppose GM are very pro labeling and even pro-banning, and people in favor of GM usually don't care anywhere nearly as much. It's passion, not indifference, that motivates legislation. This is also demonstrated pretty well in the Pew data. It's not hard for a passionate minority to drive legislation when an indifferent majority sits back.
BernieBro420 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:21 amNuclear, sure, and it would Germany again (2), except with the fury & attitude of American Rolling Coal. Nuclear needs a better lobby.
I don't understand, then, why you aren't more concerned about Sanders' beliefs on nuclear power?
Hillary supported nuclear. So does Booker. These are pro-science candidates. Sanders wasn't.
BernieBro420 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:21 amAn underspoken problem with Sanders is the logistics of his healthcare proposal. Federal Government mechanics would allow for medicine to be leveraged in a budget battle. The bureau that would oversee approval/disapproval of health would be submitted to the authority of unrelated committees, and you'd see levels of political decay that are unlike the countries Sanders gloats about in his speeches. Fukuyama wrote a great piece in Foreign Affairs on this uniquely American phenomenon (3).
That makes him even worse... not even his healthcare policies were politically sound.
I just assumed he was all good on health care, because I was concerned about the other stuff.

Industry regulation is probably a better path to success here.

BernieBro420 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:21 amThat's not to say I didn't root for Bernie over Hilary, but I hope this conveys that I'm not belligerently ideological.
Why? Hillary checked all of the right boxes on science and environment... boxes that Sanders vocally insisted were circles and then pooped on.

Hillary was more of a war hawk, I'll grant that, but I can't imagine a universe in which Sanders' presidency wouldn't be an environmental disaster. He would have set back progress more than Trump has (where at least what he has done can be easily reversed), and he would have handed Republicans ammunition the same way Trump is destroying his party for the Democrats.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

BernieBro420 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:34 pm Hey-hey-hey! This is my obligatory introduction post. UV is constantly plugging this spot in her Vids, and I'm hungry for conversations with Hypothetical like minded folks.

Demographics: late 20s hetero married male.

Occupation: media Duke for a company headquartered in Boulder, and therefore half my time is spent there.

Ideology: Atheist. Anti-Theist. Social safetynet liberal. Effective Altruist. Phish fan. Vegan. Empirical data trumps all. Anti-Trump. Determinist. Consequentialist & so on & so forth. Sam Harris is almost always right.

Hobbies: Twitter shit posting. Woodworking. Staring into the genome. Attending concerts. Digging through 100 years of jazz recordings. Proving myself wrong. Arguing online

Welcome. I enjoyed playing Phish's song Llama in Rock Band 3. So what kind of jazz are you into? I'm not very knowledgeable on the genre, but I do like some of Sun Ra's stuff. Are you into dissonant types of jazz? Would you be open to metal recommendations which are similarly dissonant? Also, are you into any progressive rock/metal, being a Phish fan? I get that they straddle a number of rock genres, so maybe you're into their other non-prog rock type stuff, then? I don't know them very well, but would be open to taking some recommendations of them since I liked Llama, though playing it was 50% of the fun, it's a shame that Rock Band gets so little new DLC nowadays, 'cause I'm sure that more Phish songs in the game would be fun.
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

Dream Sphere wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 pm
Welcome. I enjoyed playing Phish's song Llama in Rock Band 3. So what kind of jazz are you into? I'm not very knowledgeable on the genre, but I do like some of Sun Ra's stuff. Are you into dissonant types of jazz?
Try thishttp://phish.in/llama. During the past few years they've changed the tempo of Llama, it's worth hearing if you're a fan of the song. Dissonant, aye? Are you a John Zorn (check out Naked City) fan? Ornette Coleman (look up the side act he did called Prime Time) ? Beaver Harris (Beaver Harris 360 Music Experience)? Electric-era Miles (Miles Davis - Dark Magus)? Sun Ra is great. You should check out Kamasi Washington - The Epic if you haven't yet, that's the best jazz album in recent years, his whole crew is supremely talented, and all of the live material I've gathered holds its weight.
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm
Hillary was more of a war hawk, I'll grant that, but I can't imagine a universe in which Sanders' presidency wouldn't be an environmental disaster. He would have set back progress more than Trump has (where at least what he has done can be easily reversed), and he would have handed Republicans ammunition the same way Trump is destroying his party for the Democrats.
Hilary's hawkishness didn't bother me, but Bernie's Middle East policy was delightfully eccentric "Now, I am not suggesting that Saudi Arabia or any other states in the region invade other countries, nor unilaterally intervene in conflicts driven in part by sectarian tensions.

What I am saying is that the major powers in the region – especially the Gulf States – have to take greater responsibility for the future of the Middle East and the defeat of ISIS.

What I am saying is that countries like Qatar – which intends to spend up to $200 billion to host the 2022 World Cup – Qatar which per capita is the wealthiest nation in the world – Qatar can do more to contribute to the fight Against ISIS. If they are prepared to spend $200 billion for a soccer tournament, then they have got to spend a lot spend a lot more against a barbaric organization.

What I am also saying is that other countries in the region – like Saudi Arabia, which has the 4th largest defense budget in the world – has to dedicate itself more fully to the destruction of ISIS, instead of other military adventures like the one it is pursuing right now in Yemen.

And keep in mind that while ISIS is obviously a dangerous and formidable enemy, ISIS has only 30,000 fighters on the ground. So when we ask the nations in the region to stand up to do more against ISIS – nations in the region which have millions of men and women under arms – we know it is surely within their capability to destroy ISIS." (1) Can you imagine pressuring Saudi Arabia into fighting Wahhabi inspired jihadists? LOL. It'd be a wonderful way to discard them, sure, their money & oil is nice, but it's not crucial (2). GMO labeling has already happened (3) & virtually nobody noticed. The EU has substantially stricter labeling laws (4)(5) than the 2016 USA bill (6) and it's definitely a wildfire of paranoia over there (7)(8).

The Democrats propose the GMO bills & Hillary, like Obama did, would sign them, just as Bernie would. It's merely futile speculation now though.

If you're looking to argue about nuclear power & GMO technology, then "The Bernie Community" was great for it; just like Veganism & Phish (who is from Vermont) Communities.

The healthcare bill isn't ideal, but it's better than the current system. I vastly prefer parliamentary liberal democracies over federalist republics. Whenever they understand their errors in The EU in the next decade, they'll vote to undo it, but unfortunately we don't get to vote on domestic policy & our elections are winner takes all

(1) https://berniesanders.com/sanders-outlines-middle-east-policy/
(2) https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6
(3) http://modernfarmer.com/2016/08/gmo-labeling-law/
(4) https://ec.europa.eu/food/plant/gmo/traceability_labelling_en
(5)https://ec.europa.eu/food/plant/gmo/legislation_en
(6)https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/764
(7)http://www.dw.com/en/eu-nations-vote-against-gm-crops/a-38150180
(8)http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20170509IPR73942/calls-to-halt-gm-maize-and-cotton-import
BernieBro420

Post by BernieBro420 »

Like, via Bernie & 420 & Phish, I've convinced people to vaccinate their children & whatnot.
Last edited by BernieBro420 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

BernieBro420 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:01 pm
Dream Sphere wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:52 pm
Welcome. I enjoyed playing Phish's song Llama in Rock Band 3. So what kind of jazz are you into? I'm not very knowledgeable on the genre, but I do like some of Sun Ra's stuff. Are you into dissonant types of jazz?
Try thishttp://phish.in/llama. During the past few years they've changed the tempo of Llama, it's worth hearing if you're a fan of the song. Dissonant, aye? Are you a John Zorn (check out Naked City) fan? Ornette Coleman (look up the side act he did called Prime Time) ? Beaver Harris (Beaver Harris 360 Music Experience)? Electric-era Miles (Miles Davis - Dark Magus)? Sun Ra is great. You should check out Kamasi Washington - The Epic if you haven't yet, that's the best jazz album in recent years, his whole crew is supremely talented, and all of the live material I've gathered holds its weight.
That Phish website wasn't working on my phone, but I'll try it on my desktop later or search different youtube versions of the song.

I've heard the names John Zorn, Ornette Coleman, and Miles Davis before, but I don't think that I've actually heard any of their music yet. I'll start with Naked City (which I've heard many positive things about) later today and tell you what I think of it, along with all your other recs which I'll try to get to asap.

What's your favourite Sun Ra song? I've only checked out a couple compilation albums from him on bandcamp, but I've liked most of the songs, and my favourite is "Astro Black."

Would you like to take any recommendations from me?