Hello from Helsinki!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Hello from Helsinki!

Post by DarlBundren »

jessdanir wrote: My boyfriend also loved them and is taking them to work as well for lunch :)
That's awesome. :)
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Jess,

What motivated you to make this change? Is tofu available in Helsinki? If so, try scrambled tofu. It's healthful and quick to make. Just cut the tofu in cubes and fry it up while adding all the healthful foods you like. Personally I add walnuts, garlic, goji berries, nutritional yeast and turmeric. Make a large batch that you can heat up and bring to work. Tastes great.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
jessdanir
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by jessdanir »

Jebus wrote: ↑Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:46 am What motivated you to make this change?
Thanks :) I have always had an interest in vegetarian and vegan diets, but when I was younger I hated cooking and when I was vegetarian in my late teens and early 20s, I just ate junk food.

For about 6 months I have really been paying attention to what I put in my body and noticed that it reacted well. I then realized I was eating so much more meat, more than I ever had in my life simply because it was the easiest way for me to get the protein I needed without much thought. I just wanted to change that.

Do I see myself becoming vegan? Not at this time, but I wouldn't rule it out. Switching my lunches to vegan has cut out 5 meals in my week with meat. Most evenings I made vegetarian or vegan cuisine and so at this point I eat meat about once or twice a week. So who knows what the future will bring :)
Jebus wrote: ↑Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:46 am Is tofu available in Helsinki? If so, try scrambled tofu. It's healthful and quick to make. Just cut the tofu in cubes and fry it up while adding all the healthful foods you like. Personally I add walnuts, garlic, goji berries, nutritional yeast and turmeric. Make a large batch that you can heat up and bring to work. Tastes great.
We do have tofu, it is just a bit expensive. I will have to look around to see if I find something that is reasonably priced and give this a try. I personally have never cooked tofu, but have enjoyed it at restaurants :D