Hola :)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Hola :)

Post by DarlBundren »

Jebus wrote:If they are cheap or not depends on where one lives. I recommend eating tomatoes and carrots for anyone who thinks they taste good and/or needs a source of fiber, but they are definitely not packed with vitamins
I suggested tomatoes and carrots because, in my experience, they can be added covertly to familiar dishes without changing their taste too much. They are usually easy to find and cheap, although I don't know about their country. I was thinking of something like a salad of spinach, carrots and tomatoes. Carrots have a lot of sugar, but they are antioxidant-rich (especially when cooked) and high in vitamin A. Tomatoes are antioxidant-rich and have a lot of vitamin C.
Bell peppers are great, of course.
Jebus wrote:Chia seeds are ok (although flax seed is better) but definitely not peanuts of sunflower seeds.
I suggested chia seeds because of their long shelf life. I understand why you don't like peanuts, but how come you dislike sunflower seeds too? Too much omega-6?
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 3:07 amIt can result in low energy, chronic hunger (which can make a relapse into animal products more likely), and physical symptoms such as undesirable weight loss, loss of period and loss of sex drive, issues with hair skin and nails, and others.
This sounds a lot like malnutrition. In most cases, low calorie and malnutrition go hand in hand. It is difficult to get information about the result of low calorie/ high nutrition diets. Please post a link if you know one. If you are correct this is good news as it means that the empty calories I add to my body by a high beer consumption is actually beneficial.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 3:07 amif you're after vitamin C, your best source may be red bell peppers
I don't even think it's possible for vegans to not get enough vitamin C. There seems to be vitamin C in almost all plant based foods.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:03 am This sounds a lot like malnutrition.
Look into calorie restriction with adequate nutrition; it may be waning in popularity, but it was a bit of a craze in life extension something like ten years ago.
Jebus wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:03 am If you are correct this is good news as it means that the empty calories I add to my body by a high beer consumption is actually beneficial.
I wouldn't say that.
Regardless of the source, better to eat more calories from healthy foods than empty calories.
But alcohol is something else...
While technically alcohol has a low glycemic index, it can screw with your body's insulin levels, and in addition burden your liver and damage your nervous system. Such calories aren't beneficial whether they're empty or not. ;)
Jebus wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:03 am
brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 3:07 amif you're after vitamin C, your best source may be red bell peppers
I don't even think it's possible for vegans to not get enough vitamin C. There seems to be vitamin C in almost all plant based foods.
If you mostly eat cooked grains, it can be a little tricky to get optimal amounts.
Plenty of vitamin C in most veggies if you eat enough, but not everybody will eat enough of them.
Galaxy_Defender
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by Galaxy_Defender »

Hi, sorry for the late response.
DarlBundren wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 5:34 pm
Breakfast: fortified soy/almond milk, cereals, nuts and an apple.
Is there an alternative for the fortified vegan milk? Regular soy milk here is expensive enough, fortified is like crazy.

Also thanks everyone for the advice! I'll try to follow it at the best of my capacity.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Galaxy_Defender wrote:Is there an alternative for the fortified vegan milk?
Sorry for the delay. Soy milk and whole-grain fortified cereals would be another option. If milk is too expensive, try oatmeal and water. Bring a cup of water and ½ cup of rolled oats to boil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in some fruit and cocoa powder.
I suggested fortified vegan milk just to be on the safe side, but it's not really necessary. If you eat enough and supplement with B12 and vitamin D (either that, or 20 minutes of sun exposure) you can easily do without fortified food. Just make sure to eat your beans and veggies.