Hi from Ely, Cambridgeshire

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
AmandaInEly
Diet: Vegan

Hi from Ely, Cambridgeshire

Post by AmandaInEly »

I think I am more plant-based than vegan. I am joining the forum to get more information independently from my children (who know everything, or certainly more than I do). I'm also a knitter and like wool and silk. SO not really vegan at all, then
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Hi from Ely, Cambridgeshire

Post by DarlBundren »

Hello AmandaInEly. Welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here.
Can you tell us a little bit more about the reasons why you've chosen a plant-based diet?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Amanda, I hope you like it here.

Is there an ethical component to your being vegetarian (the no-meat part)? I can understand not being very worried about silk worms. :-D
AmandaInEly

Post by AmandaInEly »

The argument that got to me was the environmental one. And vegetarianism is pretty pointless, I think. The dairy industry also produces lots of wase and eats food we could just eat straight off. Ditto eggs. I can't really defend my use of wool but I am a knitter and I have seen acrylic wool. Nope, don't like it. Cotton and linen are nice but a bugger to knit and rather heavy.

It was my son who started it. And then my daughter. A year and a bit now, Veganuary 2016.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

AmandaInEly wrote: ↑Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:24 am The argument that got to me was the environmental one. And vegetarianism is pretty pointless, I think. The dairy industry also produces lots of wase and eats food we could just eat straight off. Ditto eggs.
The environmental argument is a very strong one, particularly compelling for humanists if you lean that way.

Vegetarianism; I meant it more in the general sense of dietary exclusion.
Pure vegetarians don't consume dairy or eggs either, but may use animal products otherwise.
AmandaInEly wrote: ↑Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:24 amI can't really defend my use of wool but I am a knitter and I have seen acrylic wool. Nope, don't like it. Cotton and linen are nice but a bugger to knit and rather heavy.
Do you knit professionally?
I know a lot of vegans end up having to use leather boots or other products for work or hardcore hobbies where synthetics aren't up to the quality level (stitching and construction mainly, sometimes heat resistance etc.).
There are limits to synthetic materials in some crafts.

PETA lists a few options:
http://www.peta.org/living/fashion/vegan-knitting/
It's very possible that there are no good alternatives, but interesting to experiment with new options.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the knitting options in more detail. I'm sure it would help others to have a thread on it.