Greetings from Toronto

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Greetings from Toronto

Post by brimstoneSalad »

K_Shea wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:10 am
As for vegan culture, I don't really know what to say about that. I don't know a lot of vegan people, in person. I'd guess it's thriving, since restaurants and grocery stores (especially Trader Joe's) have so many options.
Wow, that's surprising. The image I get of California is one of particular support and community for vegans. Although, I guess it's not too surprising since vegans are still quite the minority.
And many if not most are a little asocial.
I suspect this is a reason why they didn't cave to peer pressure to continue eating meat, veganism kind of selects for people who aren't incredibly social.

There are exceptions of course, which are probably the best face to face activists.
K_Shea

Post by K_Shea »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 am
And many if not most are a little asocial.
I suspect this is a reason why they didn't cave to peer pressure to continue eating meat, veganism kind of selects for people who aren't incredibly social.

There are exceptions of course, which are probably the best face to face activists.
Hmm, that's an interesting point. I haven't thought of that.

I definitely have been surprised by the peer pressure, particularly how immediately I will cast aside my beliefs for the sake of maintaining social harmony at family get-togethers. Rest assured, I've only cast these aside in my head; I catch myself dismissing my beliefs for a second and then try to refrain from caving in. While I've been successful so far, I certainly didn't expect the social and peer pressures to be as prevalent as they have been for me.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Once more people are vegan it will be much easier for others to follow, since the peer pressure will lighten considerably.
Then eventually it will turn the other way, and the pressure will be to not eat meat (as it is often for not smoking, and not making racist jokes).
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

K_Shea wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:53 pmI think it's been, and continues to be, one of the most important things I've done in my life.
Definitely, and congratulations for achieving that!
brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 ammany if not most are a little asocial.
Do you mean California vegans or vegans in general?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 ammany if not most are a little asocial.
Do you mean California vegans or vegans in general?
Vegans in meat eating cultures where there's strong peer pressure to conform.
Being a little less social helps many people ignore that peer pressure. Otherwise, being very strong willed, but that's a little more rare.