Greetings from Toronto

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
K_Shea
Diet: Vegan

Greetings from Toronto

Post by K_Shea »

Hi everyone,

I'm Kyle. As of two weeks ago I made the switch to a vegan lifestyle and not long before that began to consider myself to be an atheist. I'm looking to immerse myself in research, discussion, and critical thinking--all of which I hope to engage in here. Looking forward to conversing.

Cheers.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Re: Greetings from Toronto

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Hello Kyle, welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here. What made you decide to go vegan?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Kyle, and congrats on going vegan! I hope you like it here. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
K_Shea

Post by K_Shea »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:15 am Welcome Kyle, and congrats on going vegan! I hope you like it here. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Many thanks, will do!
K_Shea

Post by K_Shea »

Lightningman_42 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:37 am Hello Kyle, welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here. What made you decide to go vegan?
Thanks for the warm welcome!

As I'm sure is the case for many people in this forum, I made the decision after exposing myself to quite a few sources, studies, videos, etc. I come from a research background in the social sciences so I was at first drawn to the health studies regarding a plant-based diet. Yet, I started to gain exposure to the ethical and environmental ramifications of plant-based eating in contrast with an omnivorous diet and this period of information-gathering is where I cemented my yearning for a plant-based diet.

This then led me toward a vegan lifestyle altogether, in which I reject animal exploitation outright--not just on my plate. Though to be sure, I'm still improving and learning on this regard. I'm also still coming to terms with how both fascinating and alarming the ubiquity of animal products is and how I never noticed before.

I see you live in California, how have you found the vegan culture there? From what I gather it's quite supportive and thriving but I've only been in the state for 8 hours on a layover. I might be starting grad school just outside of L.A. in September so I'm pretty excited to see what's in store!
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Welcome to the forum Kyle, I hope you'll enjoy being vegan.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
K_Shea

Post by K_Shea »

miniboes wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:50 pm Welcome to the forum Kyle, I hope you'll enjoy being vegan.
Thanks a lot! I think it's been, and continues to be, one of the most important things I've done in my life.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

K_Shea wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:12 pmI see you live in California, how have you found the vegan culture there? From what I gather it's quite supportive and thriving but I've only been in the state for 8 hours on a layover. I might be starting grad school just outside of L.A. in September so I'm pretty excited to see what's in store!
It's quite easy to eat vegan in California, particularly in the Bay Area with so many restaurants. I like to eat Thai, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, and whatever has lots of tasty vegan options. There's even this one fully vegan Chinese restaurant in Hayward, "Veggie Lee", which I've been to and I really liked.

As for vegan culture, I don't really know what to say about that. I don't know a lot of vegan people, in person. I'd guess it's thriving, since restaurants and grocery stores (especially Trader Joe's) have so many options.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
K_Shea

Post by K_Shea »

As for vegan culture, I don't really know what to say about that. I don't know a lot of vegan people, in person. I'd guess it's thriving, since restaurants and grocery stores (especially Trader Joe's) have so many options.
Wow, that's surprising. The image I get of California is one of particular support and community for vegans. Although, I guess it's not too surprising since vegans are still quite the minority.