Hello from TX

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Jimkg4tri
Diet: Vegan

Hello from TX

Post by Jimkg4tri »

Hi My name is Jim I have been Vegan for more then a year.I live in probably the least vegan part of the US.
I spent 30 years in trucking industry which has the highest levels of unhealthy people,Obesity and all its health problems are above the national average
Most of my life I have been concerned about the environment.Most of the freight I have been hauling for last several years where for companies that aren't concerned with the environment so I started feeling a bit hypocritical. At 56 I became unemployed and looking for new direction in life
I became Vegan for health and environment
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Hello from TX

Post by DarlBundren »

Hey Jim,

Nice to have you here. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Is it difficult to follow a vegan diet in Texas? I see you are an atheist too. I guess your lifestyle is rather atypical over there, isn't it? :)

Did you become vegan right after becoming unemployed? Have you experienced any benefits as far as your health is concerned? Are you interested in the ethical (animal-oriented) side of veganism too?

Cheers
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Jim! I hope you like it here.

What inspired you to go vegan? Any particular videos etc.?
Oregon Antic
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Oregon Antic »

Interesting. Having spent some time in Ft.Hood, Texas, I understand you probably feel like a stranger in a strange land.

I was a long time environmentalist that became aware of the impact on the planet of the meat/feedlot industry. And certainly, trucking stuff back and forth is part of that sad story. I eventually became a vegetarian because of my environmental concerns. But, more recently, the information I have discovered on Youtube and other digital media has made me realize this was not enough. Little things like ethics and sustainability and not just incidentally - my own good health - forced me to search my conscience. And I now realize I haven't gone far enough. Milk, eggs, cheese; out - out -out! It's a Vegan I need to be.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Oregon Antic wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:45 am Milk, eggs, cheese; out - out -out! It's a Vegan I need to be.
Welcome Oregon Antic, you should post an intro thread; I'm sure we'd love to read more on your story. It sounds like you've had an interesting journey.