Hello, I'm a fellow Vegan :-)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
PurpleMystical
Diet: Vegan

Hello, I'm a fellow Vegan :-)

Post by PurpleMystical »

Hello, everyone! :D

I've been veg since the age of 7 years old and went vegan with my boyfriend last year. I'm not looking back :P For me, being vegan was for the animals and for my religious beliefs. I don't see animals worth any less than any human as well as using animals (dairy slave industry) is harming them and against my personal religious values of harming another being. It's also against my values to harm nature and the farming agriculture is terrible. As a vegan I also strive to waste-as-little-as-possible (even in plants), only take what I need, and recycle and reuse everything. We only have one earth and we are destroying it. Humans truly are terrible beings and sometimes I conclude that the world would be better off without us here.

Rape is not Okay, Slavery is not Okay, Murder is not Okay. Yet As humans we turn a blind eye if it's done to a another species :roll:
It's not okay to take advantage, violate, or harm living creatures.

Treating ALL beings with proper respect is what we need. <3
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Hello, I'm a fellow Vegan :-)

Post by DarlBundren »

Hello there, Purple mystical!

Wow you were really young. How did it start?
Can you tell us a little bit more about your religious beliefs?

Cheers
PurpleMystical

Post by PurpleMystical »

Hello, @DarlBundren . It started because our school took us to a farm (that also happened to have 'ethical small-farm-slaugthering'). It was rather a huge farm and we went astray from the main group looking for the camp grounds for a restroom. One thing led to another and we went into a part of the farm and heard a bunch of noises (like an animal was getting hurt) my classmates and myself ran before the mother (the one helping lead the group) could cut around the corner and see. It was one of the most horrific memories of my lifetime (and I still get vivid memories from it). I still recall feeling "not real" when the school counselor sat us down and told us where meat came from and how it was normal and healthy to do this. I was SO ANGRY and so grossed out and thought they where joking. It was so pathetic them telling me it was 'a good thing to do'. My parents weren't accepting of my concerns and I often got discipline for refusing to eat meat (until the discipline got so bad that CPS got called and they forced my parents to stop or that I would be taken away). It induced a very early age of panic disorder, generalized anxiety and depression. I probably have a underline form of PTSD from the whole experience.

Despite the trauma I didn't educate myself until age 22 of the egg and dairy industry. And it tugged on several uneasy factors within me.

As for my religious beliefs. I came to Veganism through Wicca, personally. Just like Veganism is a natural extension of Vegetarianism, it was a natural extension of Wicca for me. It's the next step in the progression towards compassionate living. The highest "rule" (if you will...) in Wicca is to "Harm None," so Veganism just makes sense.

I think of it like this: It is evil to eat an animal when there is an equally nutritious vegan option because we are capable of empathy with the animal. We wouldn't want anything to eat us. Evil = Choice + Harm + Empathy. That is to say, if we hurt something whilst being aware that we are hurting them, then we are being evil.

Whilst I understand plants are alive. They aren't sentient and can't feel pain. I am causing the least amount of suffering that I can.

Because I do take living things from the earth. I pray to my goddess and thank her. Hoping, she understands I've chosen the less of the evil of the paths and hopefully see that I'm using all the resources I've been given. That includes no wasting food, cooking it fresh, giving back to the earth.
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

It started because our school took us to a farm
Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate it. I am sorry to hear about your psychological problems, I hope you are feeling better now.
The highest "rule" (if you will...) in Wicca is to "Harm None," so Veganism just makes sense.
I see. Are you allowed to defend yourself from violence? Or, what if a good friend of yours is being harmed?
PurpleMystical

Post by PurpleMystical »

@DarlBundren Yes, it would be allowed to defend yourself or a friend (or even anyone being harmed). The idea is to cause the less of harm and to follow common sense and being ethical. Basically: Don't treat living being's badly and not being an asshole. If your interested: https://wicca.com/celtic/wicca/rede.htm Here is the Rede. As well as explain of 3 fold law: http://paganroots.com/information/basics/the-threefold-law/
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

Well, "Don't treat other living beings badly and don't be an asshole" is a good maxim regardless of your religion. :)
PurpleMystical

Post by PurpleMystical »

I agree. Sadly, some religious scripts of some regions promote the opposite.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome PurpleMystical, it's interesting to see more people coming from a spiritual perspective.
I look forward to some interesting discussions!