Fellow vegans, help me keep my head

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Pixi
Diet: Vegan

Fellow vegans, help me keep my head

Post by Pixi »

Hi everyone. Cognitive Dissonance. If one more person tells me they love animals, hate animal cruelty, know that animals are suffering but 'they like the taste of meat" I just may pop a gasket. I try to be the decent and caring vegan, encouraging a vegan lifestyle by just living as one but I am losing my patience. HOW can they NOT SEE the TRUTH?????
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Fellow vegans, help me keep my head

Post by DarlBundren »

Cruelty is a form of unnecessary violence. Take the Wikipedia definition:
Cruelty is indifference to suffering, and even pleasure in inflicting it. Sadism can also be related to this form of action or concept. Cruel ways of inflicting suffering may involve violence, but affirmative violence is not necessary for an act to be cruel. For example, if a person is drowning and begging for help, and another person is able to help with no cost or risk, but merely watches with disinterest or perhaps mischievous amusement, that person is being cruel—rather than violent.
Many people don't think it's cruel to kill for food, because they erroneously regard it as a necessary act. Even though this is not the case anymore, it has been true for such a long time that it is obviously ingrained in our minds. Unfortunately, humans are not good at thinking rationally. Most of us are irrational in one way or in another, and changing the way we think is often a slow and painful process. Don't give up.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Pixi, it can definitely be frustrating.

What inspired you to go vegan?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Hi Pixi!

I'm not a Vegan myself, so feel free to ask me about that on a separate thread or message.

Were you raised into a Vegan family? If not, then at some point, you made the choice to become a Vegan. Sometimes it takes people longer to understand that which is right in front of them, because that is how they were taught. Did you ever have a person try to teach you something that was important, but it took you a while to accept or learn it?

Have you ever learned something that you valued from a person who yelled at you to change your thinking? A lot of people feel like Vegans are yelling at them to change; Sadly, this is due to the most vocal of the group who profess to care about other beings, yet fail to show the same compassion toward their fellow primate relatives.

A flash flood against a rock wall will eventually dry up, but a small stream that is persistent yet gentle can eventually cut a deep ravine into the same rock wall. :)

Nice to meet you!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 amSadly, this is due to the most vocal of the group who profess to care about other beings, yet fail to show the same compassion toward their fellow primate relatives
What a dumbass comment! Would you say the same thing about the most vocal of of the group against nazis. Yeah, I just wished he showed the same amount of compassion towards nazis as he does to the people in the concentration camps.Meat eating causes suffering, and the most vocal people should be applauded. Veganism wouldn't be what it is today had it not been for a few outspoken vegans.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Pixi. Human hypocracy is something we vegans need to learn to live with. Whenever you encounter such hypocracy try to point it out in a non confrontational way.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

What a dumbass comment!
Maybe he was referring to those vegans who use veganism as a means to express their anti-natalist/misanthropic sentiments. Vocal activism can be good, but it really depends on what your are supporting.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 pm Human hypocracy is something we vegans need to learn to live with. Whenever you encounter such hypocracy try to point it out in a non confrontational way.
Jebus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 pm What a dumbass comment!
:lol:

Of course I was referring to those Vegans who make the news by doing something "radical", such as harassing persons at a restaurant. ;)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.