Vegan in Mexico City

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
thebulkingvegan
Diet: Vegan

Vegan in Mexico City

Post by thebulkingvegan »

waht's up everyone. I've been vegan for almost a year now and I've been feeling pretty damn good. Before I went vegan I got really sick and had to go to the hospital. I apparently consumed some sort of "bad" milk and that's what caused all of the pain. I realized that my body could no longer support dairy products and I had the same problems with meat. I watched Cowspiracy, and that's what pretty much made me go vegan. I was born in a place saturated with beautiful forests and beaches and I couldn't stand the idea with all of what I grew up with being destroyed because of something as stupid as having a "tasty" meal everyday. My pleasures are not more important than the general wellness of the world and everyone that lives in it. I love the vegan community and how chill everyone is. I'd like to expand my knowledge on veganism and learn as much as I can. I love meeting vegans online and have conversations about anything really. Also, I guess I could give someone tips or whatever about veganism because I'm not that new to the lifestyle. Thank you for reading and hope to talk to you in the comments. I'd like to leave a question for however does leave a comment tho. My question is: How has your life changed in the smaller, not so obvious ways, since going vegan? Thanks again for reading, and I'll try to reply to everyone. Peace.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Vegan in Mexico City

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome bulkingvegan. Are you doing body building?

Interesting question, I'll have to think about it. It may have been too long to remember.
thebulkingvegan

Yea I'm kinda doing bodybuilding, I say kinda because I haven't really been tracking my progress and caloric intake for a while now. I am just getting back to it though.
Also, how long have you been vegan for?
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Hi thebulkingvegan, welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here. I'll need some time to think more about your first question. For now I'll just say that I enjoy food more now, knowing that I'm no longer contributing to some of the world's most cruel and environmentally-destructive industries.
I've been vegan for 3 years now.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome!Are you Mexican? If so your English is pretty good.
thebulkingvegan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:05 pmI love the vegan community and how chill everyone is.
When I first became vegan one of the things that struck me was how well people wrote (and how smart they seemed). I'm glad you've had a positive impression so far but I'm pretty sure you will soon change your opinion on the "chill" part.
thebulkingvegan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:05 pmHow has your life changed in the smaller, not so obvious ways, since going vegan?

This is hard to answer since what's obvious to one vegan may not be to the other. However, what surprised me is how my way of thinking changed after becoming vegan. First of all, I started hated my pre vegan self, and couldn't believe it took me so long to make the realisation. I also developed a hatred of non-vegans. No one can tell when they meet me. I am a good actor and am generally perceived as a "nice guy" but my thoughts would be considered as dark and disturbing by some. I am not the least bothered by a "sad event" like a plane crash. I mostly consider such events good riddance of meat eaters. I am however constantly bothered by the thought of the suffering going on in slaughter houses around the world.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
vegan81vzla

Post by vegan81vzla »

6yo Vegan from Venezuela here
thebulkingvegan

Lightningman_42 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:22 am Hi thebulkingvegan, welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here. I'll need some time to think more about your first question. For now I'll just say that I enjoy food more now, knowing that I'm no longer contributing to some of the world's most cruel and environmentally-destructive industries.
I've been vegan for 3 years now.
That's awesome, I can't imagine what my life will be like in 2 more years as a vegan. Thank you for welcoming me to the form dude.
thebulkingvegan

Thank you for answering the question so in-depth my friend. Yeah I'm Mexican but I lived in the US for a big part of my life. I can honestly say that sometimes that I've been filled with some hatred towards non-vegans, but I figured out that it isn't helpful for anyone and it actually has a negative effect only on you and your mental and physical health. I hope to keep talking to you on here. I'll try to post more thought provoking questions on here since that's what the theme is here I guess :lol: . thanks again for commenting. I look forward to having more conversations on here.

Jebus wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:47 am Welcome!Are you Mexican? If so your English is pretty good.

This is hard to answer since what's obvious to one vegan may not be to the other. However, what surprised me is how my way of thinking changed after becoming vegan. First of all, I started hated my pre vegan self, and couldn't believe it took me so long to make the realisation. I also developed a hatred of non-vegans. No one can tell when they meet me. I am a good actor and am generally perceived as a "nice guy" but my thoughts would be considered as dark and disturbing by some. I am not the least bothered by a "sad event" like a plane crash. I mostly consider such events good riddance of meat eaters. I am however constantly bothered by the thought of the suffering going on in slaughter houses around the world.
Take5

Post by Take5 »

Hi thebulkingvegan and welcome to the forum

I totally get the wanting to hate non-vegans thing - I try and counter that by remembering how long it took me to see the light. I tell people if they become vegan before the age of 65, they're ahead of me. Been vegan now for 14 years, but I was a big meat-eater prior to that.
thebulkingvegan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:05 pm How has your life changed in the smaller, not so obvious ways, since going vegan?
Well, my health has improved - I consider myself now cured of osteoarthritis, which had been steadily getting worse. Took several months before I realised that - but my constant nasal drip dried up in weeks.

I'm also doing a bit of bulking up myself - mainly by doing press ups and swinging (ATM) a 9kg kettle bell around. I'm aiming to do a bit of fund-raising later this year - my pitch will be 'sponsor this 79yr-old vegan to do 100 press ups in one minute.' I'm well on track, since my latest PB is 98. But, TBH, my ability to exercise owes as much to intermittent fasting as it does to veganism. I've been IFing for over 5 years now, losing 24lbs in the process.

My good health rests on 4 pillars - veganism, IFing, bodyweight exercises and HIIT.

I'm a lot more vocal about my WFPB diet these days, although I still pull my punches. I was going to include a couple of vegan jokes in a round-robin email I was sending to my friends, but I censored myself - wonder what you guys think?

Q. How many vegans does it take to change a light bulb?
A. 2 - one of them to read the label.

Q. How many omnivores does it take to change a light bulb?
A. None - they prepare to stay in the dark.

And I'd love to confront them with a quote (from either Gary Yourofsky or James Aspey):

"You either don't know, or you do know and you don't care!"

But so far I haven't. I'm going to start a thread which will touch on this. I moderate a group called 'Enquiring minds), through the U3A, and I'm looking for new topics for the next term. So look out for that.
Last edited by Take5 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebulkingvegan

@Take5, that's so cool. I'm glad to hear that your health is improving. Also damn those jokes are funny hahaha "one of them to read the label". I enjoyed reading your post, thank you for commenting. I'll be looking out for that thread!