Hello There! (Awkward Introduction)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Silver
Diet: Vegetarian

Hello There! (Awkward Introduction)

Post by Silver »

Hello, from North Florida!

I'm 30, and currently working on my undergrad in Biology.
I've been vegetarian since June 2012 ("mostly" vegan, but far from perfect)
I like making art, reading, and being outdoors.
I'm the person at the party talking to the host's pets.
Nice to meet y'all! Hopefully, we'll talk soon.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello There! (Awkward Introduction)

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum. That was a great introduction. Nothing awkward at all!
How did you find the forum?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey Silva! What inspired you to turn vegan? What kind of art do you make? Any good books you'd recommend?
Also, good luck on your undergrad!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
vegan81vzla

Post by vegan81vzla »

In what issues would you say you fall short from being vegan, if you don't mind me asking?
What would you say are the prime reasons for not accomplishing what you would consider are beegan standards?
Welcome to the forum
Silver

Post by Silver »

I heard about the forum on Unnatural Vegan's Youtube channel.
Veg story- I went vegan after reading The Kind Diet and watching Fork Over Knives (back to back in one afternoon) with a short term goal of 30 days, and just never stopped. I couldn't go back to my old habits after finding out about how cruelly animals are treated in agriculture and entertainment. The only time I really have trouble is in social situations. People know I'm a vegetarian and they never try to force me to eat meat, but they just can't wrap their heads around cheese, specifically. Even though I'd rather not eat it, I do sometimes to avoid hurting feelings especially with family. I don't really struggle with anything else related to veganism though- I don't really have any need for leather goods or wool or anything like that. Never really cared much for circuses either.
Art- I do a lot of sketch, watercolor, and colored pencil stuff. Some crafts here and there...
Books- in fiction, the Song of Fire and Ice series
In nonfiction, Silent Spring by Rachel Carson is pretty interesting...
Currently reading A Handmaid's Tale.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

That's a unique story! Glad you kept going after the 30 days. Even though some initially do it for health reasons, eventually, reasons such as morality and environmental concerns become the more prominent reason (not saying health isn't important).
I never really understood the craze with cheese. I mean, I guess I liked it, but it was never something I cared about losing. If you ask me, this nation can do with a little less cheese.
But c'mon dude, I know it sucks, but you gotta try resisting the urge to eat because of your family, which usually tends to be a big problem for some when turning vegan. I don't mean to be an asshole, but would you rather hurt the feelings of your family, or take part in animal suffering? I know you can overcome this.
I take part in some sketching too, although I never really got into watercoloring.
I heard that those books are pretty good, but I've never got around to even finding what they are even about.
Anyways, interested in seeing you around!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Silver

Post by Silver »

Yes, I agree with you, Apple! It gets easier the longer I stick to it. My family and friends take it more seriously now than they used to. I think of veganism as something that I actively work on, and I try to treat the people in my life with patience when it comes up. Luckily, I'm so busy with school that the issue doesn't come up too much anyway ;-)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Silver!
I hope you like it here, and congrats on going vegan.

With family, it's often an issue of putting your foot down once (and hurting feelings a little bit, although they probably shouldn't be surprised by now), and then over the long term they'll stop offering the cheese and such.
Of course there is some argument for not being obsessive about tiny things, particularly cross contamination with dairy.

http://www.peta.org/living/food/making-transition-vegetarian/ideas-vegetarian-living/tiny-amount-animal-products-food/

We're glad to help if you need any tips.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome! Veganism is not about perfection. What is it that prevents you from identifying yourself as a vegan?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Silver

Post by Silver »

Jebus wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 am Welcome! Veganism is not about perfection. What is it that prevents you from identifying yourself as a vegan?
It's just a softer way for me to present my views to others. I seem to get a more open-minded response when I just say I'm a vegetarian first. When they ask what I eat, I describe a vegan diet. I try to follow the rule of only answering the question that is asked, and not giving any more info until the person wants it.