Hello! And a little about myself, too.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
fumblesquid
Diet: Vegan

Hello! And a little about myself, too.

Post by fumblesquid »

Greetings! I am Fumble and I am proud to be a vegan atheist. I'm from the US and am currently attending college.

I started off being your typical 'meat is best' pre-teen. I actually thought animal rights were silly. Because I was brainwashed by my upbringing to think that the United States is some gold-standard for ethics (yeah right), I figured we must be justified in our mass killing of animals. Regardless of those thoughts, meat tasted horrid to me, so I went vegetarian (while still consuming dairy like a mad little girl). At my moments of vegetarianism I still supported meat, I just didn't eat it. I still supported it because my peers assumed I was one of those "wacko animal loving vegetarians," so I played the cool animal-hater like everyone else (keep in mind this is middle school, now).

Then over the course of a few years I became curious. I started looking up slaughter videos just to get a glimpse of all the hype around factory farming. Anyways, those images stuck with me - I began being a proud vegetarian! After reading into being vegan and reasons behind it for a year, I adopted the lifestyle (including the diet, no animal testing on cosmetics, no leather or suede, etc). I have been vegan for nearly two years now. A slow transition worked well for me, because I know I wasn't following some fad or trend, I was actually learning and changing my beliefs.

As far as being an atheist, I do admit, that comes largely from my father who is pretty adamant that there is no god, gods, goddesses, magic, etc. Throughout my childhood I was raised to believe what he believed, and it stuck with me. There are no significant belief changes, or even deep thought processes around myself being atheist. I am guilty of what so many theists are guilty of - family tradition. Regardless, I feel atheism is pretty darn cool because I can engage sexually with fellow women without some mysterious figure sending me to hell for something that is completely consensual and causes no harm. So I'm rolling with it!

Glad to meet y'all.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Re: Hello! And a little about myself, too.

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome! :D
fumblesquid wrote:Because I was brainwashed by my upbringing to think that the United States is some gold-standard for ethics (yeah right), I figured we must be justified in our mass killing of animals.
Yes, the Bandwagon fallacy is quite common, sadly.

How is atheism viewed where you live?
And veganism?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
fumblesquid

Post by fumblesquid »

thebestofenergy wrote: How is atheism viewed where you live?
And veganism?
Atheism is fairly common where I live, and is more often accepted by the youth. I remember in high school my religious peers felt excluded for holding strong beliefs about god and the bible. I found it kind of neat because I don't think it's typical of most places in the US. Veganism is not so much accepted where I live though, and there aren't many vegan places unless I drive a good distance.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi fumblesquid,

Welcome to the forum,
What a great introduction!

It's hard for me to think of more questions to ask.

Maybe: What are you studying? (if you mind sharing)
fumblesquid

Post by fumblesquid »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Maybe: What are you studying? (if you mind sharing)
I'm trying to major in math, and minor in studio art! Best of both worlds. Thanks for asking.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

fumblesquid wrote: I'm trying to major in math, and minor in studio art! Best of both worlds. Thanks for asking.
Ooh, a math savvy artist, awesome! You're a rare breed my friend.

Ever do any mathematically inspired artwork?
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Welcome to the forums !
Don't be a waste of molecules
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum! Great to have another vegan atheist!
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics