Greetings from South Africa

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
RLRobbins
Diet: Vegan

Greetings from South Africa

Post by RLRobbins »

Hey,
I became vegetarian in 2014 (thanks mostly to my girlfriend and a shocking video of chickens in a battery farm). In 2015, both she and I became vegans after watching a YouTube video by Vegan Gains (his style is very controversial, but it works) and, wanting to have enough facts to back our discussions with non-vegans, we have since scoured YouTube for all the vegan channels we could find - which led us to Unnatural Vegan, who mentioned this forum on a recent video.
I am excited to be part of a forum like this - especially as there is no vegan community where I stay - and hope to contribute as much as I gain in the discussions and debates held herein.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Greetings from South Africa

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome, I hope you like it here!
I look forward to your posts. Please don't feel shy about creating threads, we love new topics. :)
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome. The vegan scene seems to be thriving in SA, and Frys is conquering the world. Are you noticing a vegan surge where you live? Also, please let us know why are you a Christian?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
RLRobbins

Post by RLRobbins »

Jebus wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:32 am Welcome. The vegan scene seems to be thriving in SA, and Frys is conquering the world. Are you noticing a vegan surge where you live? Also, please let us know why are you a Christian?
Frys pies are amazing. No, and I don't expect to see a vegan surge in the Afrikaans community, as many of us have an old school, macho caveman kind of mentality. There is definitely something like a "surge" going on in Cape Town City, though, which makes me feel optimistic.
I'm not sure that this forum is the best place for me to discuss why I'm a Christian, as that would require me giving you anecdotes, and I seriously doubt whether anybody on a forum with the word "philosophical" in it is going to believe anything that cannot be proven. If you'd like to have a discussion on the topic, however, I'd be more than happy to; but this would not include why I, personally, believe what I believe. What I can do is show you why I can't logically dismiss the idea. This would require some back-and-forth, though. Maybe on a separate thread.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RLRobbins wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:37 am What I can do is show you why I can't logically dismiss the idea. This would require some back-and-forth, though. Maybe on a separate thread.
That would be a good topic. Please feel free to start a thread on it.
RLRobbins

Post by RLRobbins »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:11 pm
RLRobbins wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:37 am What I can do is show you why I can't logically dismiss the idea. This would require some back-and-forth, though. Maybe on a separate thread.
That would be a good topic. Please feel free to start a thread on it.
I'm glad you think it'd be a good topic. I'm actually worried about how I can word it without causing hostility. And, as I'm new here, I'm not really sure how this'll work. The whole reason for starting this thread would be to have Jebus read and respond to it so I can give them an answer.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Don't worry too much about hostility, just be as honest as you can. We'll try not to take it the wrong way.

I'm sure other people would like to participate in the discussion too.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

RLRobbins wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:37 amFrys pies are amazing.
Do you know that these contain palm oil? I'm sure this will change soon as Frys had to face a lot of heat when this got out. Some vegans decided to boycott all their products just because the pies had palm oil.

Thanks for starting another thread. I am always interested in how "otherwise" rational people can believe in the bible.
RLRobbins

Post by RLRobbins »

Jebus wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:06 am
RLRobbins wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:37 amFrys pies are amazing.
Do you know that these contain palm oil? I'm sure this will change soon as Frys had to face a lot of heat when this got out. Some vegans decided to boycott all their products just because the pies had palm oil.

Thanks for starting another thread. I am always interested in how "otherwise" rational people can believe in the bible.
I had no idea that they contained palm oil. They advertise themselves as vegan, so I'm not surprised that vegans are now boycotting all their products.

Have not yet started the thread. I can understand why most people can perceive Christianity as "irrational", due to the way its been spread and taken out of context by a lot of people pushing an agenda.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

RLRobbins wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 amI had no idea that they contained palm oil. They advertise themselves as vegan, so I'm not surprised that vegans are now boycotting all their products.
There is a very active South African vegan page on Facebook where there was a heated debate about this a few months back. It got so ugly that one of the Frys owners withdrew from the Facebook page. I still purchase Frys products. I just choose to boycott those that contain palm oil.
RLRobbins wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 amI can understand why most people can perceive Christianity as "irrational", due to the way its been spread and taken out of context by a lot of people pushing an agenda.
Which agenda are you referring to? I think atheists would like to see more atheists in the world just like Christians would like to see more Christians in the world. I personally don't think it has much to do with the way it has been spread. I simply look at the bible (I've studied the Bible a lot more than most Christians) and consider it irrational based on what I read.