Hello from South Carolina

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
VeggieLibrarian
Diet: Vegan

Hello from South Carolina

Post by VeggieLibrarian »

Hi all. I just discovered this place after a shoutout from Unnatural Vegan. I've been vegan for about five and a half years now and enjoy a good philosophical debate now and then.

Not sure what else to include in my intro... I'd describe myself as an atheist. I was raised by atheist parents (in the Bible Belt, fun times) so I've never been religious. Chickpeas are my jam. And I really love my dog. A lot.

Looking forward to reading some good discussion from all you fine folks.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello from South Carolina

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome, what inspired you to go vegan?
I hope you like it here and join some discussions. :)
Please feel free to start a thread about anything you'd like to talk about.
NonZeroSum
Master of the Forum

Post by NonZeroSum »

Heya VeggieLibrarian, your numero dos including myself to have come here after UV's recomendation, pleasure :) I like UV's clarity of arguement, so interested in the topic of intersectionality which is up my street, even though I'm not in the consequentialist philosophy camp.

Did your veganism come in part from also having to defend your atheism like me? What breed of doggle you got? Mines a water spaniel, collie cross.
VeggieLibrarian

Thank you brimstoneSalad :)
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:43 pm what inspired you to go vegan?
Oh just a little known philosopher by the name of Peter Singer.

Actually, I first started a plant-based diet after doing some research on nutrition. After a month or so eating a vegan diet, I read Animal Liberation and that started my journey into ethical veganism.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hello VeggieLibrarian! What's it like being a librarian? Got any books that you'd recommend?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
VeggieLibrarian

Hi RedApple!
RedAppleGP wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:14 pm What's it like being a librarian? Got any books that you'd recommend?
It's pretty great. My background is in history, and I get to work with cool archival documents.

Recently, I've been recommending It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis--a fictional novel from the 1930s about fascism taking hold in America. Pretty timely again.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

VeggieLibrarian wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:21 pm It's pretty great. My background is in history, and I get to work with cool archival documents.

Recently, I've been recommending It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis--a fictional novel from the 1930s about fascism taking hold in America. Pretty timely again.
Ah yes, history. I'm quite fond of history, particularly ancient history in the East. 20th century history is also really good too. Maybe I'll consider that book.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Hello!

What part of South Carolina are you from? Charleston is beautiful, I've spent a lot of time there.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
VeggieLibrarian

PsYcHo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 am What part of South Carolina are you from? Charleston is beautiful, I've spent a lot of time there.
I love Charleston! But I'm from the other end of the state, around Clemson.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Welcome to the forums! What's your favourite chickpea dish? I swoon for falafel, it's second only to tofu
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum