Hello

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Hightower
Diet: Vegan

Hello

Post by Hightower »

Hi everyone.
I'm a new vegan, just started. Frankly I'm not a very strong willed person, and I've been a very heavy meat eater up until now. I decided to become a vegan for the same reasons I'm an atheist: I seek knowledge and I follow the evidence. I've heard bits and pieces of information about the meat industry before but til now I've chosen to ignore it so I can keep eating what I want. Every time I ordered chicken wings I'd eat it and enjoy it, but I couldn't help but think to myself "several birds had their wings cut off, and just for this?". More research into the matter only made things worse. I had to make a choice, I didn't want to be a part of the problem anymore.
I don't agree with all things vegan, but I'm choosing not to support the industry that causes so much suffering. Hopefully joining this forum will give me access to the advice and knowledge I need to make this a sustainable lifestyle.
Volenta
Master in Training

Re: Hello

Post by Volenta »

Welcome! Great to hear you made the change, and it's indeed the most rational choice to make. :)
Hightower wrote:I don't agree with all things vegan, but I'm choosing not to support the industry that causes so much suffering. Hopefully joining this forum will give me access to the advice and knowledge I need to make this a sustainable lifestyle.
In my opinion you don't have to be very passionate against unnecessary suffering to be a vegan. It just the insane amount of suffering that the industry causes, that if you care only a little bit, you already should go vegan. There are many differences in opinion within the vegan community, so it's alright to disagree with some things. I love to hear though about the things you think you're disagreeing with.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome! :D
If you need any help, feel free to make a new topic in the vegan support section.
We already have some topic about health and recipes.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum and to veganism. Just curious, what specifically mean when you say "i don't agree with all things vegan"?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Hightower,

Nice to meet you, I'm glad you've joined the forum.

Congrats on going vegan.

Don't worry about not agreeing with everything every vegan says, we don't agree with each other on many points. We aren't a hive mind ;)
You can find a number of arguments I've had with TheVeganAtheist here, on things from Farming and Zoos, to Semantics and appropriate word usage in activism (e.g. "meat is murder" etc.).

Hightower wrote:I'm choosing not to support the industry that causes so much suffering.
That's all it takes, at heart.
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Thank you for all of the friendly welcomes!
@TheVeganAtheist, I've heard a few arguments that I don't understand yet. Specifically against pet ownership and honey. I haven't done a lot of research into the various motivations behind veganism yet. Only that when I decided to start paying attention, It didn't take long to realize I needed to give up meat, egg, and milk products. I especially don't like being played the fool. I grew up thinking that you need meat to build muscle, and milk to build strong bones etc. That kind of misinformation really grinds my gears so to speak.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Hightower wrote:@TheVeganAtheist, I've heard a few arguments that I don't understand yet. Specifically against pet ownership and honey.
We have a topic on pet ownership here where we discussed the problems. You yourself started the honey topic, so there you can find what the case against honey is about. Feel free to respond.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Welcome ! Did you become an atheist / vegan around the same time?
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hightower wrote: Specifically against pet ownership and honey.
The pet ownership issue is usually more about where the pets came from- e.g. rescue pets, vs. breeders.

Since there are so many dogs and cats, for example, who are euthanized in shelters, buying a dog or cat who has been bred instead of adopting a rescue means another animal in a shelter will die. Since the only major difference in a rescue and bred animal is usually aesthetic, it's a bad choice to buy form a breeder (there are also health consequences from inbreeding).

Volenta linked to a good thread, where we discuss hypotheticals about breeding in the future, if the shelters were empty and animals were no longer killed as a result of choosing a breeder over a rescue.

Exotic pet ownership is another issue, which has to do with arguments of animal cruelty, and that these animals are often obtained by being trapped in the wild, and shipped (where many of them die in the miserable conditions in transport).
There's also a concern over whether some pets can be happy when kept with humans, in human environments (dogs and cats probably can, for others it's not so clear- rodents may also be able to lead happy lives with humans).
Hightower wrote: I especially don't like being played the fool. I grew up thinking that you need meat to build muscle, and milk to build strong bones etc. That kind of misinformation really grinds my gears so to speak.
I know what you mean. It's really disgraceful how much misinformation the industry - and old wives tales - spread.

The vegan community isn't completely free from misinformation either, but it's a bit better (and the vegan skeptic community is better still).
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

PrincessPeach wrote:Welcome ! Did you become an atheist / vegan around the same time?
I stopped believing that a god exists when I was a preteen, I'm going on 30 now. I've only started a vegan diet this week. I've heard that vegans are good at cooking and I have to say it seems to be true. I've never made anything more than a hamburger helper before but early this week I made a big pot of vegan spaghetti from a recipe I found online. I've never even sauteed something before but I did my best and it turned out quite delicious!