Hello everyone! New member!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
MK1990
Diet: Vegan

Hello everyone! New member!

Post by MK1990 »

My name is Maor, I'm 23 years old, live in Israel (who is currently under small war against tha Hamas in Gaza- an awful situation), furthermore
I'm a strict vegan for 4 months now, I'm vegan because of ethical viewpoint, but I love to explore the other amazing parts veganism contribute to, such as health aspect, new world of cooking, supporting a better ecological way to live on this planet.
I'm always excited to join communities like this, I love debates about veganism, health, cooking, and religion.

So it is nice to know you all, and it's doesn't matter where you from, peace should be everyone's goal.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Hello everyone! New member!

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome Maor! How do you find living in Israel as a vegan? Do you find many options? how are people's attitude towards you and your veganism?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
MK1990

Post by MK1990 »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:Welcome Maor! How do you find living in Israel as a vegan? Do you find many options? how are people's attitude towards you and your veganism?
Here in Israel we have great support for vegan food, a compeny who called "TEVA DELI" makes most of Israel "meat" like products and they are the best in my opinion, many regular companies support vegans by producing vegan products, we have vegan pizza too :) we also have strong activist network, people who dedicate their life to save animals and help develop a vegan society in Israel.
There's lots of very supportive forums that includes a variety of vegan issues, they help you learn how to cook, how to speak the massage, and much more!
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome to the forum! :D
What changed your mind about veganism, making you become one?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Maor, welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on going vegan :)

I know a lot of Jews are interested in veganism because it seems more convenient than keeping kosher with meat, etc. Is that common in Israel too?
It seems that a lot of Jewish products and cooking are already vegan when they're pareve (except egg, and sometimes fish and weird loophole exceptions), so it sounds like it would be really culturally convenient for the most part.

Are you an observant Jew, or more culturally Jewish? Orthodox, agnostic, or?

I'd love to hear more.
MK1990

Post by MK1990 »

thebestofenergy wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D
What changed your mind about veganism, making you become one?
Well, at first I tried to avoid all the videos who show the truth about the industry, I knew that when I will expose myself to this videos there's no way back and I'll go vegetarian/vegan because I love animals.
So after a while, my sister (vegan) didn't stop bugging me about the true nature of my food, after a while I just couldn't keep it up anymore, I felt bad with each bite, I knew something was wrong, and I had to explore the truth. So I've decided to watch gary yorofsky famous lecture, I thought that after this I'll become vegetarian because I knew being vegan is extreme and crazy....but after what I saw in Gary's lac true I knew it can't go half way, so I became a vegan, didn't tried to get that "last ice cream" "last schnitzel" I've stopped, right there, and now I'm a happy vegan for 4 months ... I'm an activist, try to spread the massage out there, and now I tell myself "how could I lived like that for so long?" "How I agreed to stayed in the dark, and not wanting to know?"
MK1990

Post by MK1990 »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi Maor, welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on going vegan :)

I know a lot of Jews are interested in veganism because it seems more convenient than keeping kosher with meat, etc. Is that common in Israel too?
It seems that a lot of Jewish products and cooking are already vegan when they're pareve (except egg, and sometimes fish and weird loophole exceptions), so it sounds like it would be really culturally convenient for the most part.

Are you an observant Jew, or more culturally Jewish? Orthodox, agnostic, or?

I'd love to hear more.

thank you :)
i love god, but i hate the laws of our religion, they tell you how you should express your love for god and i don't believe my love should be expressed through some laws that have been written by some modern rabbis.

yes it is more convenient to be a vegan jew, the reason for this comes from our kosher laws... jews are not allowed by kosher to mix meat and milk together, so because of this reason, we have many products that are labeled as "PARVE" which means they don't have any milk or meat in them...so the majority of this products are 100% vegan, but there are some that ,made with eggs or gelatin from fish\cows bones...so vegans stay away from those..

regarding your other claim, about jews who changing their diet to a vegan one based on the kosher aspect, i think that it dose't matter to them, our bible, encourages meat, dairy and eggs eating, but there are some important rabbis that claim that the need for meat, dairy and eggs is not the same as the bible says, and nowadays it is more More ethical to avoid meat, dairy and eggs.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

MK1990 wrote:but there are some important rabbis that claim that the need for meat, dairy and eggs is not the same as the bible says, and nowadays it is more More ethical to avoid meat, dairy and eggs.
That's great :)

I'd love to hear how they express that. Are there any famous essays, or youtube videos or something of those rabbis you know of that could be a good example?

Although I've never read in Hebrew, I know the Old Testament pretty well. There's a lot of shared history among Abrahamic religions.

I have only seldom gotten the chance to debate with rabbis.
Kanade

Post by Kanade »

Welcome, i've noticed that israel is very open with vegan debates.

I'm curious though, as a Jewish person what is your opinion on the comparison between the mass slaughter of animals with the holocaust?
“I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.”
― Abraham Lincoln
MK1990

Post by MK1990 »

Kanade wrote:Welcome, i've noticed that israel is very open with vegan debates.

I'm curious though, as a Jewish person what is your opinion on the comparison between the mass slaughter of animals with the holocaust?
in my personal opinion, i think that the comparison is right to bring up, although you may find many jews who will reject your opinion once you bring it up.
people are very sensetive here about the holocaust, and animals are at the bottom when it comes to rights.
but u think that every open minded person will agree that this comparison is right, because if we put aside the differences between people and animals and focus on the level of suffering. they are all equals.