Hi! I am French from Paris and new to veganism :-)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hi! I am French from Paris and new to veganism :-)

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Ah, ok. Well, if you don't want to take the medicine, you could just try therapy.
If one's depression is rooted in a particular aspect of environment or philosophy (like a pessimistic world view), and that aspect changes, the depression has been relieved the the root, and neither medicine nor therapy are necessary anymore (unless it comes back).
The goal of therapy is ideally to identify the cause and help you change it to relieve the depression.
In most cases, medication is best used as a temporary crutch to help the person identify the cause of the depression and change it.
eloine

Post by eloine »

EquALLity wrote:
eloine wrote:
EquALLity wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum!

Congratulations for deciding to go vegan. :D
If you need any help with finding vegan substitutes and advice about your diet, this is a great place.
Are you taking a vitamin B-12 supplement?

What is it like in France?
Also, are you in treatment for depression?
Hi :-)
No I am not treated for depression anymore because meds do more bad than good, instead I compose music and since I stoped eating animal products ,I feel better, more positive, I believe this is meat fish and dairies that were increasing my depression because it was like putting something in my mouth that was gore and gloomy like living a horror movie for real so then it makes it harder to find life beautiful, if you must feed yourself with death to be healthy it is not worth to live, this is what was making me depressive
Ah, ok. Well, if you don't want to take the medicine, you could just try therapy.

Also, did you make your profile picture? I really like it.
I'm working on a new profile picture now. I can't believe it's been nearly a year since I changed it. o_O
yes I tried therapy in the past but this is useless..as I said, I make music now so I don't need anyone anymore to explain to me that I must put myself in a mold by adopting a behavior and thinking to accept the unacceptable. Because I am sorry but this is the role of therapists...they are not here to help you to accept your creativity they are here to shut it down and to transform you to a blind sheep that lives a troubleless life in this insane society like all other humans and that accept the unbearable and unacceptable.
eloine

Post by eloine »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
EquALLity wrote: Ah, ok. Well, if you don't want to take the medicine, you could just try therapy.
If one's depression is rooted in a particular aspect of environment or philosophy (like a pessimistic world view), and that aspect changes, the depression has been relieved the the root, and neither medicine nor therapy are necessary anymore (unless it comes back).
The goal of therapy is ideally to identify the cause and help you change it to relieve the depression.
In most cases, medication is best used as a temporary crutch to help the person identify the cause of the depression and change it.
medication is dangerous, it has some serious side effects + most medecine are tested on animals.
The problem is that the worse mental illness, no one wants to admit, is to abuse innocent living creatures to satisfy our pleasure for eating dead burned animals...all the other sickness comes from this primary vice
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote: medication is dangerous, it has some serious side effects + most medecine are tested on animals.
If you have serious depression, medication is less dangerous than suicide. It's a good option for people with a serious problem which can not be easily resolved in other ways. Like insulin for diabetes, some people need it, but most people don't.

Once we have a more vegan world, we will no longer test these things on animals, and we'll develop other models. :)
eloine wrote: yes I tried therapy in the past but this is useless..as I said, I make music now so I don't need anyone anymore[...]
Actually, some therapists today are using art and music to help people. It's great that you found music as a way to express yourself and overcome depression. It's possible that you didn't have a good therapist. There are some good ones out there, and bad ones. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to find a good one, but it sounds like you're handling your problem now through music and getting in touch with morality, which is great.
If you ever have problems, though, please don't hesitate to ask for help because you had a bad experience. There are better therapists out there.
eloine

Post by eloine »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
If you have serious depression, medication is less dangerous than suicide. It's a good option for people with a serious problem which can not be easily resolved in other ways. Like insulin for diabetes, some people need it, but most people don't.

Once we have a more vegan world, we will no longer test these things on animals, and we'll develop other models. :)

Actually, some therapists today are using art and music to help people. It's great that you found music as a way to express yourself and overcome depression. It's possible that you didn't have a good therapist. There are some good ones out there, and bad ones. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to find a good one, but it sounds like you're handling your problem now through music and getting in touch with morality, which is great.
If you ever have problems, though, please don't hesitate to ask for help because you had a bad experience. There are better therapists out there.
Actually I had serious depression and I still deal with it! It's hard to be happy all the time, especially when the world we live in is so insane with no morality and people feels that violence pain sufferings and agressivity is part of life and necessary...
I made suicidal attempts 3 times in my life and I don't say I am forever away from depression as I don't know what the future will be but I tried medication and for me it makes me worse, I tried several anti depression and it gave me even more negative thoughts + it made me like a vegetable with no energy and it had lot's of unpleasant side effects
And suicide is not something dangerous, I don't understand how giving up a current life can be dangerous, it is more dangerous to actually feed yourself with meds that make you like a sheep unable to think on your own and accomplish yourself .
I went to lot of therapists, even very goods that wrote books and have fan clubs or psycho trauma that works with police... none of them helped me because after a while I just started to understand that psychology is limited and don't own the truth ...I need to express myself in art and that's the only cure. And in my opinion this is not the role of therapist to help you to compose music or express yourself in art, it must be your own personal decision that comes from your own guts, otherwise it is purposeless too
And I think it is weird that you focus so much on my depression on this blog as I also said I suffer from spondylitis ankylosis which is worse than living with depression in my opinion because for this there is no cure, so instead of giving me useless advices for my depression you should give me usefull advices about how I can deal with the pain that disease
eloine

Post by eloine »

and I don't know but you seem very weird to seem to want to prove that for serious depression there are therapist that helps...it is the opposite in my opinion, if your depression is not really serious than yes you can feed yourself with meds or go to therapy because it means the only thing you need to get rid of your depression is to complain to someone about your problems and to stuff your brain with artificial chemicals that gonna make you forget about your soul and what makes you alive.
I think I am proud of me for one thing in my life, it is that I always listened to me instead of silly stupid advices from people and I was intelligent enough to make my own researches and find my own truth based on my own feelings of what's right and wrong...and I'm lucky I did so, because if I kept on listening doctors and therapists I would have kept on stuffing myself with harmfull medecine and wasting my time insanly complaining to a therapist instead of moving out and do something tha matters, and the worse is that I would have kept feeding my body with torture and death because of all the doctors advices when you struggle with any kind of disease like mine
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Hi, welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your input in our discussions.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Hello!

Good to see you taking a positive step to controlling your depression without meds. They can be effective for a lot of people, but it seems some people just use them a crutch instead of trying to deal with the underlying issues instead. (And that is a very nice profile pic)

Welcome to the forum!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote: Actually I had serious depression and I still deal with it! It's hard to be happy all the time, especially when the world we live in is so insane with no morality and people feels that violence pain sufferings and agressivity is part of life and necessary...
I understand, but the best way to become happy and overcome that is to invest in fighting against the evils of the world (of course, not violently, but with words and ideas).
eloine wrote: I made suicidal attempts 3 times in my life and I don't say I am forever away from depression as I don't know what the future will be but I tried medication and for me it makes me worse, I tried several anti depression and it gave me even more negative thoughts + it made me like a vegetable with no energy and it had lot's of unpleasant side effects
If you tried and and it didn't work for you, that's your experience. Medication works differently for different people, and for some people it can really help them. I just hope you won't discourage others from trying medication. Just because medication isn't right for you doesn't mean it can't help others. It also doesn't mean that new medication won't work for you in the future: remember, not all medication is the same.

You have music, and that is like your medication now. As long as that's working, that's great: it's way better than taking pills. Maybe music is the best medication for you, and maybe it will be the best for other too... but perhaps some others don't have your musical talent, so they need something else.

If there ever comes a time where your depression is hard to manage, please be open minded to trying new medication. Or maybe you can try to add something like painting (another artistic treatment like music).
I just encourage you to stay open minded, is all.

eloine wrote: And suicide is not something dangerous, I don't understand how giving up a current life can be dangerous, it is more dangerous to actually feed yourself with meds that make you like a sheep unable to think on your own and accomplish yourself .
If that's how you feel. But you have a lot to offer the world, so I hope you'll stick around. :)
eloine wrote: And in my opinion this is not the role of therapist to help you to compose music or express yourself in art, it must be your own personal decision that comes from your own guts, otherwise it is purposeless too
It is personal. The therapist just introduces them to music and art, and teaches them a little. Once they get it, they continue on their own, and it comes from within.

For example, could you imagine what you would do if you were a therapist? You could help somebody choose an instrument which is right for that person, and help teach that person some of the basics, and show him or her how to express his or herself. It doesn't mean controlling.
eloine wrote: And I think it is weird that you focus so much on my depression on this blog as I also said I suffer from spondylitis ankylosis which is worse than living with depression in my opinion because for this there is no cure, so instead of giving me useless advices for my depression you should give me usefull advices about how I can deal with the pain that disease
If it's incurable, there's not really much advice I can offer. You're probably already doing the best thing you can do by going vegan. There is some evidence that a vegan diet may help with autoimmune diseases/inflammation issues.

Because it's closely related to other inflammatory conditions, you may find studies on that relevant:

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/anti-inflammatory/vegan-and-vegetarian-diets.php

This is a summary of a few of the studies. The advantages to people suffering with these conditions could be substantial with a good vegan diet. Of course, vegans need to supplement on B-12, and either get a little sun each day, or take Vitamin D. It's also important to pay attention to nutrition (an unhealthy junk food diet is bad, whether we're vegan or not), and eat lot of beans and healthy nuts like walnuts, flax, hemp, or chia for Omega 3.

As the article states:
If you take the step to go full or part vegetarian or vegan, you may need to take some supplements, says Larson. These include omega-3 fatty acids for your heart and to protect against inflammation, iron to protect against anemia, zinc for the immune system, vitamin D and calcium for strong bones, vitamin B-12 for energy and selenium for a healthy thyroid. But talk to your doctor first before adding supplements to your diet.
This is actually a little overly cautious. Selenium is easy to get from whole wheat; only if you don't eat much whole wheat, you may want to eat a brazil nut a day.
If you choose to try a gluten free vegan diet as mentioned in that article to see if it will help more than a gluten containing vegan diet, you would probably need to eat a brazil nut each day to get your selenium. I don't recommend a gluten free diet, though, I think that needs more research, and whole wheat can be healthy -- but it's up to you to decide.

Omega 3 is easy to get from nuts and seeds that are high in Omega 3 like walnuts, chia, hemp, or flax. These are a better source than supplements. You may choose to take a DHA supplement, though, which might help with inflammation.

Beans are rich in zinc and iron, and by avoiding coffee and tea at meals and eating lots of beans, you can get plenty of iron (eating vitamin C with your beans helps too).

Here are the daily recommendations from Jack Norris, Vegan RD. If you follow them, you should do fine:

http://veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs

If you have any questions about your diet, or want to try some speculative tweaks that may help more with your condition, we'd be glad to help give you recommendations to get all of the nutrients you need.

eloine wrote: I think I am proud of me for one thing in my life, it is that I always listened to me instead of silly stupid advices from people and I was intelligent enough to make my own researches and find my own truth based on my own feelings of what's right and wrong...and I'm lucky I did so, because if I kept on listening doctors and therapists I would have kept on stuffing myself with harmfull medecine and wasting my time insanly complaining to a therapist instead of moving out and do something tha matters, and the worse is that I would have kept feeding my body with torture and death because of all the doctors advices when you struggle with any kind of disease like mine
That's good that you did, and there are bad doctors out there. Anybody who said you should eat meat was wrong; that's one of the worst things you could do. Doctors are not experts on nutrition, and when they give nutrition advice they are usually talking out of their asses because they don't know anything about it. They know how to mend bones, deliver babies, and perform surgeries and prescribe medication: not how to nourish a body healthfully with food.

There may even be some therapists who don't want to cure you because they rely on your repeat business; you could have gotten a bad one. I don't believe the norm is malice, however, so much as ignorance, and I believe most therapists really want to help. And for some people, they can help.

Since you've found music and changed to a vegan diet, I hope that will be all you need to be happy and healthy and help resolve your problems.
eloine

Post by eloine »

PsYcHo wrote:Hello!

Good to see you taking a positive step to controlling your depression without meds. They can be effective for a lot of people, but it seems some people just use them a crutch instead of trying to deal with the underlying issues instead. (And that is a very nice profile pic)

Welcome to the forum!
something is weird and unclear to me: how can you all advise me to take meds since it is a vegan forum and everybody knows those drugs are tested on animals???