Hi! I am French from Paris and new to veganism :-)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
eloine
Diet: Vegan

Hi! I am French from Paris and new to veganism :-)

Post by eloine »

Hi!
I just officialy decided to become 100% Vegan yesterday, but to be honest it 's been months (if not years) that I was making lot of researchs about nutrition to find out if really veganism was the safest way...
I don't feel very proud myself when I realise that I closed my eyes about animals torture for so many years (I remember I saw a short movie from a French writer "Bernard weber" about 10 years ago, it's the first time I became aware of animals horrible conditions) but I kept on eating meat for all these years...and it wasn't making me feel really good about it.
I kept on eating meat mostly because I thought it was necessary for my health. And since yesterday, I still wasn't sure, (because I am also some crazy extremist that is often hypocondriac, I am sometimes very scared of diseases and signs of age that to me reflect bad health and I suffer from a spondylitis ankylosis and lack of Iron that doesn't help either)

Anyway I feel so much relief now that I finally found the right thing to do, because Yeah stoping eating animals is the first step to morality in this insane world. I 've been suffering from depression all my life because I felt life was purposeless since everyone only cares for their own interest without caring for the hurt and pain it can induce on others. But by stoping encouraging animal exploitation is a way to me to aknowledge that cruelty and suffering is not necessary for the well being of some others and so that there is some truth it is worth to fight for

I don't do it only for animals, as I never really cared that much about animals, I do it for the future and the evolution of Humans
And I don't do it either to feel a good person, as I don't consider myself better than anyone, I also have my own interests, and in that case, I don't want to pollute my body and feed my cells with death coming from animals that suffered great pain all their life , I came to the conclusion that eating burned dead animals or dairies is infecting my brain, making me having negative thinkings hard to fight and I believe it is the reason why there is so much violence and destruction in the world, because people are not aware of the atrocity they put inside their body. Eating meat, fish , eggs or dairies is making people depressive, sick , aggressive and violent and prone to vices like jealousy and hate.

Because we are not like lions for instance, our place on the planet is not to eat the weakest animals for promoting natural selection, we eat animal products only for pleasure and not for necessity..this is what makes all the difference. It is then not good for our bodies either for our brain and thinkings.

Also to say a bit more about me, I am a music artist, I just released an album, but I am not here to promote my music and also I discovered myself loving creating nutritious healthy vegan food and pastries so I am working on developing a food blog and on trying to find a way to spread about the veganist food in my city and country to prove people that it is much more delicious and nutritious to eat plant base than animal based products
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Hi! I am French from Paris and new to veganism :-)

Post by EquALLity »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Congratulations for deciding to go vegan. :D
If you need any help with finding vegan substitutes and advice about your diet, this is a great place.
Are you taking a vitamin B-12 supplement?

What is it like in France?
Also, are you in treatment for depression?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi eloine, welcome. Contratulations on going vegan, that's great!
eloine wrote:I 've been suffering from depression all my life because I felt life was purposeless since everyone only cares for their own interest without caring for the hurt and pain it can induce on others. But by stoping encouraging animal exploitation is a way to me to aknowledge that cruelty and suffering is not necessary for the well being of some others and so that there is some truth it is worth to fight for
I agree. Lack of purpose and deep existential dread can be a major cause of depression. It's one of the major reasons so many people turn to religion. However, religion is based on faith which will always wane: secular morality is based on reason and evidence.

Jack Norris has some great tips on Iron here: http://veganhealth.org/articles/iron

Have you made some music about ethics and animal exploitation, or do you think you might?
eloine

Post by eloine »

EquALLity wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum!

If you need any help with finding vegan substitutes and advice about your diet, this is a great place.

Hi :-)
No I am not treated for depression anymore because meds do more bad than good, instead I compose music and since I stoped eating animal products ,I feel better, more positive, I believe this is meat fish and dairies that were increasing my depression because it was like putting something in my mouth that was gore and gloomy like living a horror movie for real so then it makes it harder to find life beautiful, if you must feed yourself with death to be healthy it is not worth to live, this is what was making me depressive
Last edited by eloine on Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eloine

Post by eloine »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi eloine, welcome. Contratulations on going vegan, that's great!
eloine wrote:I 've been suffering from depression all my life because I felt life was purposeless since everyone only cares for their own interest without caring for the hurt and pain it can induce on others. But by stoping encouraging animal exploitation is a way to me to aknowledge that cruelty and suffering is not necessary for the well being of some others and so that there is some truth it is worth to fight for
I agree. Lack of purpose and deep existential dread can be a major cause of depression. It's one of the major reasons so many people turn to religion. However, religion is based on faith which will always wane: secular morality is based on reason and evidence.

Jack Norris has some great tips on Iron here: http://veganhealth.org/articles/iron

Have you made some music about ethics and animal exploitation, or do you think you might?
thanks for the irons tips :-)
Actually about my music my first album was based on the feeling of being trapped in a life that is not fulfilling and hopeless with almost no way to escape so I gave myself positive thoughts to help me to believe in a better fate and realise my dreams. So I think my music is based on morality above all and I was looking for a universal message.

And I realise that many jobs makes you feel just like if you were an animal trapped in jail, unable to escape and with little space to move ( working in industry for instance). That's probably why so many people doesn't want to listen about animal exploitation, I used to be like this too, because I felt exploited myself so I felt vegan people were living in a bubble with an easy life, not aware of human sufferings and exploitation.. and caring more for animals than humans conditions.. (because not all animals are exploited in horrible conditions, some have better conditions than many humans)..but now I understand better that being vegan is the first step to change discriminations and also work classes
eloine

Post by eloine »

eloine wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:
I agree. Lack of purpose and deep existential dread can be a major cause of depression.
Actually it seems you didn't understood right, I didn't say I had no purpose (because I always had one), I said that I was depressed because I didn't find any morality since most people think that sufferings and pain is acceptable and necessary
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote:
eloine wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:
I agree. Lack of purpose and deep existential dread can be a major cause of depression.
Actually it seems you didn't understood right, I didn't say I had no purpose (because I always had one), I said that I was depressed because I didn't find any morality since most people think that sufferings and pain is acceptable and necessary
Imagine I gave you a remote control. I tell you the purpose of this remote control is to turn off and on the sun: but that's impossible, so the remote control doesn't work. Does the remote control still have a purpose?
Futility is the enemy of purpose, and often the root of depression.

If the world is full of terror and suffering, and it's impossible to make the world a meaningfully better place, then meaningful purpose is lost.
If it IS possible to reduce the suffering in the world, because we learn the suffering isn't necessary and the world can change, then we can realize meaningful purpose to make the world better.

Maybe we're talking about a different kind of purpose. The purpose I'm talking about isn't just ambition, but a matter of existential consideration. Hedonistic goals can be self defeating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_hedonism
As such, they are without a root purpose. Like Sisyphus, doomed to roll a boulder up a hill every day only to see it roll back down again. The existential dread of hedonism may be less transparent, but no less substantial

Does that make sense? Maybe you can tell me what you mean by purpose. :)
In my view, meaningful purpose in humans mainly comes from moral value.
eloine

Post by eloine »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
eloine wrote:
Imagine I gave you a remote control. I tell you the purpose of this remote control is to turn off and on the sun: but that's impossible, so the remote control doesn't work. Does the remote control still have a purpose?
Futility is the enemy of purpose, and often the root of depression.

If the world is full of terror and suffering, and it's impossible to make the world a meaningfully better place, then meaningful purpose is lost.
If it IS possible to reduce the suffering in the world, because we learn the suffering isn't necessary and the world can change, then we can realize meaningful purpose to make the world better.

Maybe we're talking about a different kind of purpose. The purpose I'm talking about isn't just ambition, but a matter of existential consideration. Hedonistic goals can be self defeating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_hedonism
As such, they are without a root purpose. Like Sisyphus, doomed to roll a boulder up a hill every day only to see it roll back down again. The existential dread of hedonism may be less transparent, but no less substantial

Does that make sense? Maybe you can tell me what you mean by purpose. :)
In my view, meaningful purpose in humans mainly comes from moral value.
ah yes I understand better :-)
but to make a change one must be ambitious, otherwise the purpose is meaningless since I am just a single human being and then how can I change anything without ambition?
it is not about self recognition but about finding something meaningful to fight for and then to make it big for that is doesn't remain meaningless without any recognition amoung the masses, otherwise it just means that there is no morality, because the good must win other the bad , this is the concept of morality.
If the bad (pain and sufferings for instance) is stronger than the good (peace) than it means there is no morality and if there is no morality there is not meaningful purpose either
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote: but to make a change one must be ambitious, otherwise the purpose is meaningless since I am just a single human being and then how can I change anything without ambition?
I agree we have to have ambition side by side with purpose so the purpose can succeed. Ambition without purpose is meaningless, and purpose without ambition will not change anything. Of course, even a little ambition means we can change ourselves, which will make a little difference (such as to the animals we can save by our own behavior).

Hope our purpose can inspire us to have ambition to change the world.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

eloine wrote:
EquALLity wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum!

Hi :-)
No I am not treated for depression anymore because meds do more bad than good, instead I compose music and since I stoped eating animal products ,I feel better, more positive, I believe this is meat fish and dairies that were increasing my depression because it was like putting something in my mouth that was gore and gloomy like living a horror movie for real so then it makes it harder to find life beautiful, if you must feed yourself with death to be healthy it is not worth to live, this is what was making me depressive
Ah, ok. Well, if you don't want to take the medicine, you could just try therapy.

Also, did you make your profile picture? I really like it.
I'm working on a new profile picture now. I can't believe it's been nearly a year since I changed it. o_O
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx