Hello everyone!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
klonoa
Diet: Vegan

Hello everyone!

Post by klonoa »

Very glad to finally register here. I follow the VA on youtube and i think he's an awesome guy in that he also wants theist and meat-eaters on this forum.
that way you eliminate the preaching to the quire problem.

I was raised christian but very very loose. My parents always said that i need to make my own observations and decisions etc.
So i became an atheist with NO objections from my folks.
Now we never go to church, we still take out the statues at christmass but that's it.
My mom was vegetarian since i was born and i became one since i was 8. (free to do so or not to do so).
About 3 years ago i watched gary yourofsky's speech and i became vegan overnight.
When i told my mom and brother and showed the speech they also became vegan, i think my dad never will become vegan but hey, can't win em all. :roll:

I live in the Netherlands and study application development. I love games,movies,anime, and *drums* motorcycle riding!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Klonoa!

Glad you've joined :)

We don't have many theists here yet, but hopefully a few start popping in to have discussions more. The forum is still pretty young.

Sounds like you had a great family for coming out as an atheist, and that's awesome that your mother and brother joined you in going vegan!

What kind of application development are you studying?
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome Klonoa, thank you for joining our forum!
I've never been to the Netherlands... is it a vegan and atheist friendly country? How do locals respond to your veganism when they find out? Are there any active animal rights organizations operating out of your area?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Welcome!

Great to see someone else from the Netherlands here. :D
It's very funny, because I also did application development till a year ago. Now I'm studying computer science.

Awesome that your brother and mother also went vegan. Looks like it didn't take much to win them over to your side. :D
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:Welcome Klonoa, thank you for joining our forum!
I've never been to the Netherlands... is it a vegan and atheist friendly country? How do locals respond to your veganism when they find out? Are there any active animal rights organizations operating out of your area?
I'd say the Nehterlands is very atheist friendly. Up until the 1960's the Netherlands was very strict christian (and very divided between protestants and Catholics) but then the 60's happened and people from trukey,moroco,suriname,china and indonesia came here and over time the mentality here became more of: "to each his own".
There is still a very religious region the the country but nothing to bad. There also was a small group named: ''Sharia 4 holland'' but they were rounded up.

My personal experience when i tell people i'm vegan is... mixed. Some people say : "Respect! I could never do that.".
Others react with the standard flawed arguments we all know to well, and some ask just simply why i'm vegan.

There are a few organisations that i know of the first one is de dieren bescherming (the animal protection) witch to be honest i don't really take seriously they have managers that have ridicules salarys and only help animals that look cute.

The one i think is the best is de partij voor de dieren (the party of the animals) Witch is a political party that wants to better animals welfare in factory farms, ban transport of animals over (i think) 150km, tax meat since that does most harm to the environment and increase inspections on farms.
I don't agree witch all their stances but i agree enough that they get my vote :)
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi Klonoa!

We don't have many theists here yet, but hopefully a few start popping in to have discussions more. The forum is still pretty young.

Sounds like you had a great family for coming out as an atheist, and that's awesome that your mother and brother joined you in going vegan!

At school i get C#,PHP,SQL and PLSQL so i'd say a bit of everything.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

klonoa wrote:There are a few organisations that i know of the first one is de dieren bescherming (the animal protection) witch to be honest i don't really take seriously they have managers that have ridicules salarys and only help animals that look cute.

The one i think is the best is de partij voor de dieren (the party of the animals) Witch is a political party that wants to better animals welfare in factory farms, ban transport of animals over (i think) 150km, tax meat since that does most harm to the environment and increase inspections on farms.
I don't agree witch all their stances but i agree enough that they get my vote :)
We also have Wakker Dier which has done some useful things. And the Dutch Society for Veganism of course.

I find it kind of sad that the leader of the animal party, Marianne Thieme, isn't even a vegan. I'm probably going to vote for the party in the next elections, but on a secular vegan candidate.
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

Volenta wrote:
klonoa wrote:There are a few organisations that i know of the first one is de dieren bescherming (the animal protection) witch to be honest i don't really take seriously they have managers that have ridicules salarys and only help animals that look cute.

We also have Wakker Dier which has done some useful things. And the Dutch Society for Veganism of course.

I find it kind of sad that the leader of the animal party, Marianne Thieme, isn't even a vegan. I'm probably going to vote for the party in the next elections, but on a secular vegan candidate.
OMG how could i forget wakker dier and the Dutch Society for Veganism! I even liked them on facebook! :shock:
Yeah I also don't like her not being vegan yet being the representative of such a party.
Still, i agree with 90% of what they say and want.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

klonoa wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi Klonoa!

At school i get C#,PHP,SQL and PLSQL so i'd say a bit of everything.
I see we have another programmer (in-development at least) here on the forums! If you have any questions regarding most popular programming languages please feel free to PM or make a thread about it!
She's beautiful...