This is who I am! (And a shout-out for like-minded rational vegans.)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
GardenFood
Diet: Vegan

This is who I am! (And a shout-out for like-minded rational vegans.)

Post by GardenFood »

Hi forum peeps!

I thought I would introduce myself a bit. I came to this forum in the search for some rational vegan people. I don't mean offence to anyone, but when people think vegan they think crazy hippy that throw red paint at fur, abuse meat eaters and probably don't shower or believe in vaccines. I know this is of course not true, but after attending World Vegan Day in Melbourne a few years ago and Billy Simmonds started talking about the higher energy in food growing higher up towards the sky, I pretty much decided that the vegan community was not one I wanted to be part of. That has now changed, and I'd like to be able to just be a rational vegan and for that to be okay, and to have friends to share salad recipes with ... and sensible arguments ... and the likes. I saw 'Vegan' and 'Atheist' and 'Forum' and, not that all atheists are rational people, but in my experience people who are not atheists are mostly not rational, and hence I'd take my chances and check this place out.

I have a science background, food science as a matter of fact, and so obviously I'm pro GMO (and obviously it's not as simple as being pro or con GMOs, there are obvious issues with certain GMO crops and the bees and other GMO crops and the patenting, but golden rice etc. are fantastic). I also have a Master's Degree in Dietetics and as such am a qualified dietitian. As a dietitian, I'm obviously interested in diet and health, diet related diseases and such, and from the research I have done, the best possible diet for long term health is in fact and whole food based vegan diet (but I'm not 100% strict because quality of life is more important to me than absolutism).

And you've probably already figured out that I'm based in Australia considering my Melbourne comment, but I was born and raised in Sweden, so please excuse me if my English grammar is sometimes sub-par (also I'm a terrible speller, again, I'm sorry). (I also use a lot of commas, I am aware, it's just a thing I do, so ... if you don't like that you'll probably have stopped reading by now anyway.) I'm 28 and live with my son and partner and I currently work in tertiary education (sadly not as a dietitian). I have an Instagram account (not looking for followers and not making money of it) with the same name (GardenFood), which is literally just pictures of food that I cook, if someone is after some vegspiration. I saw some posts of people struggling with the whole vegan concept, and my IG is my little contribution to promote vegan food. I'd like to spread the idea of this lifestyle, and make people realise that it is healthier, better for the environment and certainly more humane to live off plant foods than it is meat, but it is in no way difficult or gross to eat vegan food. I have been vegetarian since I was 9 years old (and saw Babe, the pig movie) so I have quite a lot of experience with both eating and cooking meatless. I have this idea of starting a youtube account to talk about the same, in a rational way with scientific evidence, however as I'm working full time this is slow in progress. In the mean time, I'll hang here and see how it goes.

This ended up being more of an essay than an introduction :shock: , but if you managed to get through, please comment and help me feel like I'm not completely alone to rationalise a vegan lifestyle with scientific arguments rather than pseudoscience and bananas. ;) I'd love to get to know some like-minded people!
ThisUsernameSucks
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: This is who I am! (And a shout-out for like-minded rational vegans.)

Post by ThisUsernameSucks »

Yay for PRO GMO!
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Hello GardenFood,
Welcome to the forum! It's always a pleasure to meet another vegan who loves cooking and preparing vegan food; and who dislikes pseudoscience-nonsense. :D I am also passionate about science and rational thinking, and love to cook delicious meals for my nonvegan friends & family. I recently made lasagna for my family using this recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZns7LYIpsw

I added baked firm tofu, ground up into little pieces, and I mixed it in with the tahini sauce to imitate the texture of ricotta cheese. I'd say that I definitely like this addition to the lasagna. I would love to post pictures of it within this discussion thread:

https://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewt ... tos#p11972

...but unfortunately my camera's photo files are too large. :(

P.S. Also I added a lot of spinach to this lasagna because spinach is a nice addition to lasagna in terms of color, flavour, and nutrition. Spinach is my favorite leafy-green-vegetable.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Välkommen Gardenfood. How long have you lived in Australia?

I am a Swede living in a country with less than .001% vegans and less than .001% atheists. Great to see a fellow Swede with a solid science background in our community. I am looking forward to reading your posts.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
GardenFood

Post by GardenFood »

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcomes :).

ArmouredAbolitionist, thanks for the recipe, I actually made a lasagna last night based on that recipe hahaha! It tasted fantastic, and I would definately use that sauce on a whole heap of things, it was really great. And also I have some left over in the fridge! :P

Jebus, nice to see another Swede! However, I'd think much more than 0.001% of Swedes are atheist? I don't think more than 2 people I've ever met in my whole life growing up were actually religious or believing in God. Here in Australia i find most people do actually believe in God, or at least religion is integrated a lot more in the culture. They teach religion (as a truth) in schools, and many private schools are religious and includes a daily prayer etc. I chose for my son not to be taught 'religion' (which was, as I mentioned, teaching the christian faith as truth, there IS a God and Jesus was real), and there was only 1 other child in the class who opted out, making my son ask me to partake on a weekly basis. I refused this because he was 5 years old and unable to tell truth from fiction, especially when an adult insisted it was true. It was actually hard enough to deal with the discussions WITHOUT him parttaking in that class due to the discussions with his classmates! Thankfully, due to funding cuts, they have stopped teaching religion at his school (which is a non-religious public school might I add).
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

GardenFood wrote:ArmouredAbolitionist, thanks for the recipe, I actually made a lasagna last night based on that recipe hahaha! It tasted fantastic, and I would definitely use that sauce on a whole heap of things, it was really great. And also I have some left over in the fridge! :P
Pleased to hear that! :D
GardenFood wrote:Jebus, nice to see another Swede! However, I'd think much more than 0.001% of Swedes are atheist?
Jebus was referring to Mauritius, not Sweden. I've not been to Sweden, but from what I've heard it's a very secular nation, as many northern European nations are. I've been to Germany and the Netherlands many times and they seem to be quite secular.
GardenFood wrote:They teach religion (as a truth) in schools, and many private schools are religious and includes a daily prayer etc.
Is religion taught as truth in public schools as well? If so wouldn't that be illegal?
GardenFood wrote:I refused this because he was 5 years old and unable to tell truth from fiction, especially when an adult insisted it was true..
I find it telling that in order for religious dogma to continue and proliferate, that it must be imposed upon highly impressionable young children. Maybe, just maybe, this allows some religious people to realize that their dogma is irrational and should not be regarded as factual truth?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
GardenFood

Post by GardenFood »

Oh Mauritius! That makes alot more sense haha!! Yeah I could imagine that would be challangeing, more so than Australia.

My son goes to a public school. They can teach religion, but it is a voluntary subject, and that way it's not illegal. They've got someone external from Christian fundamentalist organisations come in and teach it, to make things even worse!! Imagine the uproar if they allowed Muslim fundamentalist come in and teach Islam in public schools ...

Anyway, he's all good now, he doesn't believe in God but does so in Santa Claus. I think he knows but wants to believe in the magic a bit longer, so I let him. Whenever he asks me if Santa/Easter Bunny is real I just ask 'what do you think?' and he says he believes so, and we leave it at that! I can't lie to him though and say he IS real, but I have been known to leave a gift from Santa under the tree ... :P Haha, at least the mass delusion of Santa usually subsides with age!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome GardenFood! It's great to have you join us, I'm glad you found the forum and hope you like it here.

Most of the members here are of a similar mind with regard to science, and pseudoscience in the vegan movement.
GardenFood wrote: I also have a Master's Degree in Dietetics and as such am a qualified dietitian.
That's awesome, I hope we'll have a lot to learn from you.
GardenFood wrote: I have this idea of starting a youtube account to talk about the same, in a rational way with scientific evidence, however as I'm working full time this is slow in progress. In the mean time, I'll hang here and see how it goes.
That would be amazing, we'll promote you everywhere if you do. :D
GardenFood

Post by GardenFood »

Hi BrimstoneSalad! Thanks, I appreciate your support! Let me know if you have any ideas for specific topics! :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

GardenFood wrote:Hi BrimstoneSalad! Thanks, I appreciate your support! Let me know if you have any ideas for specific topics! :)
Criticism videos do really well, and taking down some of the pseudoscience/fad diets out there might be a good start.