Hey there :)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Viktorius_the_Third
Diet: Vegan

Post by Viktorius_the_Third »

So my name is Adrian, I'm 20 years old and I'm from Germany.
I was raised non catholic and pretty much 95% vegetarian (grandparents had a little influence on my childhood and they hold different values).
Since I'm 15 I'm 100% vegetarian (before that i ate a wiener once every few months or went to burgerking once...) and since I'm 19 years old I'm 100% vegan.
I often struggle argueing meat eaters because I'm sick of those excuses and lame arguements, but i got most of my friends thinking and even a few of them to become veg/vegan. I try not to advocate my point of view and it's interesting to see others becoming "offended" when i order a flesh free meal.

When i first watched TheVeganAtheist I instantly fell in love with his channel. Because i think every other youtuber I've seen before had some irrational arguements (meat-eating atheists like TheAmazingAtheist or catholic vegans (cant remember her name)).
I think every opinion should be touchable, even if it seems immoral at first. By joining this community I am hoping of finding a few open minded guys to argue about stuff.

Feel free to comment or to ask me for contact data (email, steam skype whatever :D)

Adrian
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Hey there :)

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome Adrian. Thank you for joining the forum.
I've never been to Germany. Do you find it difficult being vegan there? Can you find vegan options when you are away from home? How do people respond to you when you request something vegan, or they find out you are vegan?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Viktorius_the_Third

Hey.
So beeing a vegan here is pretty much as easy as it could get, I think... I don't really like meatreplacements (soyburgers or whatever) but even if i wanted them i could get them in the local supermarket. germany is very "morally advanced" if you will. christianity is... well more a nice story for our kids and there aren't many christians anymore (i think it was about 35% that believe in god and only 15 that believe in the bible... but im not sure about that statistic...) and its pretty much the same with veganism. every major city has at least one supermarket where you can buy soystuff.
But to come back to your question:
I mostly eat beans(corn, tomatoes inclueded not raw :D)/potatoes and rice (and of cause many many fruits :D) and other nice vegtables... and i guess they are pretty much everywhere :D

I'm not really the partyperson so i don't go out that much... but if i want to order a pizza at an italian (remember: if you want a vegan pizza go to an italian restaurant! the original is only with oil and salt) i just say i don't want chees and a little bit more of the other stuff and they are okay with that, because im not the only vegan around ^^ (studies say that there are 80.000-850.000 vegans in germany, which is to its overall population of 80.000.000 a pretty big number ^_^)

how people respond... well i guess not much different than the people in your place. offended and trying to defend their point of view, often saying that they don't eat much meat... (everyone -.- literally everyone says that... its sooo annoying :D and if i ask how much... not much... what did you eat today? half of a chicken... etc ^^)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Adrian, glad you've joined.

I love to see that there's an international crowd here.

It's a good sign when meat eaters try to defend their meat eating by saying they don't eat much- because whether it's true or not, it means they they recognize that it's a bad thing to do.
In the U.S. people more often defend it by saying "God made animals to be eaten".

So, it looks like you have an advantage there in Germany :)

Great to meet you!
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome!
Viktorius_the_Third wrote:but i got most of my friends thinking and even a few of them to become veg/vegan
How do you do it? Do you let them discover and ask first?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
Viktorius_the_Third

thebestofenergy wrote:Welcome!
Viktorius_the_Third wrote:but i got most of my friends thinking and even a few of them to become veg/vegan
How do you do it? Do you let them discover and ask first?
pretty much yeah... at first i was very ambicious... i told everyone this "great" discovery of mine... but i quickly realizised that humans are stupid. and in their stupidity they act as if you attack their lifestyle. then they are in defence mode and block everything. sad but true. so i just had to let it go... if i got asked i tried to argue as rational as i could and the other times just be a "normal" human.
there is just one question i struggle to answer.
"what do you eat" i always say the recipes and fruits i eat but they often think that thats not enough to sustain a human body. even though i eat probably more calories than them!

@brimstonesalad:
yea... and im sooooo happy that i do not have to live in the U.S.! i would rather go and live in a 3rd world country than in the U.S. (no offense but its waaay to catholic/conservative for me... oh yea and MURICA!!! ^^ i know probably a few stereotypes... but from all ive seen... correct me if you think differently)
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Welcome!
Viktorius_the_Third wrote:When i first watched TheVeganAtheist I instantly fell in love with his channel. Because i think every other youtuber I've seen before had some irrational arguements (meat-eating atheists like TheAmazingAtheist or catholic vegans (cant remember her name)).
That's what I also like about TheVeganAtheist. Never seen a video of TheAmazingAtheist before, so I looked up his video's on veg*nism just now. Can't understand that an atheist—which you normally would think of as being rational—is giving such irrational justifications/arguments. :|
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

"what do you eat" question is hard, I think, because it's just so general. I could say what I ate today, but what do they want? Me to tell them every single thing I eat? :roll:
Unfortunately, it's also a very common question. I almost feel like I should carry around a pocket vegan cookbook to hand out.
Volenta wrote: That's what I also like about TheVeganAtheist. Never seen a video of TheAmazingAtheist before, so I looked up his video's on veg*nism just now. Can't understand that an atheist—which you normally would think of as being rational—is giving such irrational justifications/arguments. :|
Yeah, as TheVeganAtheist said in his recent video criticizing TJ, it is disappointing.
There is the argument that TJ makes atheists look kind of bad, because his arguments are usually more provocation than anything else, and he's very visible.

Unfortunately, atheists aren't more rational in general, they just happen to be right about that one thing. Plenty of other dogmas out there beyond god (political, and otherwise).
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Anyone here read up on The Amazing Atheist here:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/TheAmazingAtheist

I wasn't aware of half the concerns with him until I read this.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:Anyone here read up on The Amazing Atheist here:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/TheAmazingAtheist

I wasn't aware of half the concerns with him until I read this.
Nothing really surprising there.

Note how he used to be a libertarian: he was probably influenced by the likes of Ayn Rand, which may explain a lot of his very twisted and irrational views on morality. He has evolved into a liberal, though, so he may not be hopeless if somebody can get through to him.