Hello from Texas

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
wintercoates
Diet: Vegan

Hello from Texas

Post by wintercoates »

New at this, when I first started about 5 months ago I thought it was mostly a diet. It's been interesting learning new things and finding new reasons to make this a lifestyle instead of just a diet.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello from Texas

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome wintercoates! What inspired you to go vegan?
wintercoates

Post by wintercoates »

Thank you. We started for health. We stay because it's better for everything with less contradiction in our daily lives.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Wintercoates. Is veganism popular in Texas? Is it easy to find vegan restaurants or vegan items in supermarkets? If so, given the strong meat tradition in Texas does this create conflict between vegans and non vegans?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
wintercoates

Post by wintercoates »

I'm also new to Texas. But, it seems like there are spots that are more vegan friendly than others. Austin seems to be the most popular area followed by Dallas then a distant third might be Houston.

As far as restaurants there are maybe 2-3 in Houston. So it's a really creepy area if you want variety. But it seems to be getting better.

For groceries you can find a lot of things. It's about as good as Wichita, KS where we just came from and has 6 million less people. It kind of depends on the area you live in. The more well off areas seem to have better selections at the grocery stores.

I haven't experienced any crazy conflict yet. Most people just don't know what vegan is. They have expected me to cough on their food, that's the widest one. Or they think it's just a diet. I just try to be a good example and answer any questions they have.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

wintercoates wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 pm As far as restaurants there are maybe 2-3 in Houston.
Hey, welcome aboard!

There aren't many strictly Vegan restaurants in Houston, but there are many places to get a Vegan meal. (You can even get them delivered :D ) And delivery is likely the safest route, since like four or five interstates connect in Houston. ;) Many of the Mexican restaurants will substitute beans for meat, and leave out the dairy if you ask.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
wintercoates

Post by wintercoates »

There is at least 2 vegan restraunts in Houston. Loving Hut and a spot inside a hospital. There may be more that I'm not thinking of but regardless there aren't a lot.

I don't get delivery a lot as I like to cook. If I'm going to pay for good I would rather sit down to eat it. I've had mixed luck with Mexican joints. The first one I tried knew the word Vegan and told me the rice was vegan and they said they could make the beans vegan. The rice had at least 2 different kinds of meat in it and the beans were smothered in cheese. I have the best luck at Mediterranean or Middle eastern places. If they have Falafel I can usually get that with little to no work.

For my money there isn't much better than falafel. It was the food that gave me the strength to leave meat behind. Lol