Plant genocide tho.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Ryinn the Goat
Diet: Vegan

Plant genocide tho.

Post by Ryinn the Goat »

This looks like a cool party to crash.

Hi from New England <3.

I've run around diets and diet fads most of my life like a hamster in a wheel, from vegetarian to paleo to... whatever else I thought was a good idea at the time. After some diggin', a lot self-reflection, for both ethical and health reasons, I've returned to veganism for good.

I came here for the chats and the idea exchanging, of course. Seems to be an interesting bunch here from the few threads I've read so far!
"Libertarian-left." (I dunno some quiz site told me that) Atheist. Not a fan of SJWs. Love strong debates and brutal honesty. Likes planting trees and gardens. Artsy-type. LOVE cooking. Newbie hiker. Much granola, very crunchy.

I think I covered everything?
Diet check, political check, religion check, random interests check...
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Plant genocide tho.

Post by Jebus »

Welcome! You've definitely come to the right place. I'm guessing New England is the least bad place in the U.S. for an atheist.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Ryinn! Sounds like quite a trek.

Are there any arguments or videos in particular that inspired or changed your mind on the ethics side?
Ryinn the Goat

Post by Ryinn the Goat »

Jebus wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:05 am Welcome! You've definitely come to the right place. I'm guessing New England is the least bad place in the U.S. for an atheist.
You know... overall, probably, but I don't talk about it openly. My boyfriend obviously knows, and it's come up to a friend I've made since I moved here from CA (she didn't respond to my admittance), that's about it.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 am Welcome Ryinn! Sounds like quite a trek.

Are there any arguments or videos in particular that inspired or changed your mind on the ethics side?
Initially, Earthlings opened the door for vegetarianism. I think I let the social pressure of a small town I moved to get to me when I started eating meat again. No veggie friends or community, lost sight of my reasons, etc.

I watched VeganGains and Ask Yourself shred someone in a debate not long ago, and I couldn't ignore the facts. I now have appreciation for AY's method for argument, as much as I appreciate someone like James Aspey's approach. So, here I am!

And thank you for asking questions! Definitely feels more welcoming. :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm glad the debate inspired you.

We've discussed Ask Yourself's methods here a bit:
http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3168

They don't always work, because some people have very bizarre views on ethics, like objectivists and hard relativists who think genocide and pedophilia are A-OK. Of course, for most people these arguments can be persuasive if they can understand them.
Ryinn the Goat

Post by Ryinn the Goat »

Thank you for the link! I'll take a read through. I'm not surprised to see his name crop up in any forum of discussion. He's pretty hardline and seems get himself banned from some communities for going after other vegans/ad hom attacks/hurting feelies (or at least, it was stated in one of the videos).

I don't know if I'd be concerned for people who argue that genocide and pedophilia are ethical. Maybe that's too dismissive of me.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Ryinn the Goat wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm I don't know if I'd be concerned for people who argue that genocide and pedophilia are ethical. Maybe that's too dismissive of me.
Not that they are ethical in particular (as in good to do), more neutral or "to each his or her own", that morality is just an opinion, and/or relative to your beliefs or society.

Look at TJ "the Amazing Atheist", or Jaclyn Glenn who both believe that. I saw a survey that indicated around 2/3rds of atheists are relativists; I think the survey was biased, but it's not hard to believe. I couldn't find anything more credible.

Then you have Objectivists, who are possibly worse.
We're dealing with a sizable chunk of the population.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Ryinn the Goat wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:54 pm I came here for the chats and the idea exchanging, of course. Seems to be an interesting bunch here from the few threads I've read so far!
"Libertarian-left." (I dunno some quiz site told me that) Atheist. Not a fan of SJWs. Love strong debates and brutal honesty. Likes planting trees and gardens. Artsy-type. LOVE cooking. Newbie hiker. Much granola, very crunchy.
Nice to meet you!

I think I'm Libertarian-middleish, but I vary depending on topic.

You sound like an interesting person, and I hope you'll join in discussions.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.