Unnatural Vegan: Are plants aware?

Jaywalker
Diet: Vegan

Unnatural Vegan: Are plants aware?

Post by Jaywalker »

Hi Unnatural Vegan,

Can you make a comprehensive video about plant awareness? I've only seen one video of you talking about pain in plants, but it was pretty short and seemed like it wouldn't convince carnists who resort to this argument. Even though it's a simple subject and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to explain, there are lot of people who genuinely believe plants can "feel", or that such a thing cannot be ruled out so we should assume they do anyway. I think it's mostly the fault of people who prepare dishonest web articles, but since it's such a common opinion among carnists (and even some vegans), I feel like it deserves a little more attention from popular vegan youtubers.
ThinkAboutThis
Diet: Vegan

Re: Are plants aware?

Post by ThinkAboutThis »

Mic. the Vegan made a video about this two weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRfX4X0V54A

Ask Yourself went over a few things pretty well as well in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQsDWaF1IWE
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Are plants aware?

Post by PsYcHo »

Jaywalker wrote:Hi Unnatural Vegan,

Can you make a comprehensive video about plant awareness? I've only seen one video of you talking about pain in plants, but it was pretty short and seemed like it wouldn't convince carnists who resort to this argument. Even though it's a simple subject and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to explain, there are lot of people who genuinely believe plants can "feel", or that such a thing cannot be ruled out so we should assume they do anyway. I think it's mostly the fault of people who prepare dishonest web articles, but since it's such a common opinion among carnists (and even some vegans), I feel like it deserves a little more attention from popular vegan youtubers.
That would be interesting. I remember watching a video about a plant (I believe a tree of some kind) in Africa that giraffes can eat, but once they begin eating it, the tree releases an airborne chemical that alerts nearby trees, and they then turn toxic. This could be used by some as a justification for eating meat (plants don't want to die either!), but I don't think it would hold much sway for anyone who can understand the difference between abstract awareness and physical pain felt by an animal with a nervous system.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.