VIDEO Suggestions / Requests

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: VIDEO Suggestions / Requests

Post by brimstoneSalad »

wfatheist wrote: The guy is using his grandfather's death to prosthelytize veganism. This is an absolutely horrible thing to do,
and I would say ,to those without brains, it may reflect on vegans as a whole.
I think he doesn't know how to deal with his grief, and is in denial. And he's angry at his grandfather for dying due to his diet. I don't like that he says he's happy that his grandfather died; I think he's lying to himself, and that doesn't reflect well.

Mine died in about the same way. Constantly eating hamburgers; it was brought about by his actions, and I wish he had eaten better because he might still be around. Probably would still be around. It was heart disease, plain and simple, too much blood cholesterol. It was a pretty textbook case.

Look at it from another perspective:

What if his grandfather had died from lung cancer, and was a smoker, and he used his personal story to try to tell others that this is why smoking is bad?

What if his grandfather had been a drinker, and died from liver failure, and he used his personal story to try to tell others that this is why drinking is bad?

I see a kid in grief, angry at his grandfather (a friend and loved family member) for leaving him, and trying to warn others about the same thing.
Anon0045

Post by Anon0045 »

wfatheist wrote: The guy is using his grandfather's death to prosthelytize veganism. This is an absolutely horrible thing to do,
and I would say ,to those without brains, it may reflect on vegans as a whole.
What's so horrible about it? It goes against the wishes of the family, but other than that, there's not much happening. If people see him and get turned off by veganism, they are just people looking for excuse not to be vegans anyway. Besides, this has more to do with health than veganism.
This is a personal issue, and he shares personal information left and right. It's entertaining for people, like following the Kardashians. He was wrong to go against the wish of his family, but that's it.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Most people don't realize how awful a heart attack is. We here about them all the time but few of us have actually witnessed one. I think the idea was good although it would have been better to film someone who had given him previous permission.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
wfatheist
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by wfatheist »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inNvo6ECMCk

straw man link but non the less this is the guy you're defending. It takes a real piece of shit to want to
record someone dying and use it to promote their belief regardless of what you see in the person his
actions are disgusting at best.
Just know that from comments that I've seen from videos like this and others people are taking this as
a reflection of vegans as a whole. There was also another interesting video where someone was talking
about the fact that vegans give a pass to other vegans for anything regardless of what it is. I'm starting
to wonder if that is what I'm witnessing here. I truly think if this were a meat eater who made this video
and it was anti vegan you guys would be all over him.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^I didn't watch the videos, but- I'm pretty sure that all the active vegans on here don't like Gary Francione, a huge promoter of veganism. Also, vegans on here argue about things.

You didn't really address what was said about using the video to warn others about harmful substances. You're just saying that it would take a piece of shit to record the video, but not really explaining why, or addressing arguments against the idea. And then you basically accused people who made legitimate points of not caring about the ethics of what somebody did, and defending that person just because of veganism (like we're cult members). What? o_O

I don't think that recording the video without permission was right, but what's wrong with using a tragedy to try to help others? If the video caused people to live healthier, more ethical lives, the good could actually outweigh the bad (recording the video without permission) and make the overall situation good. You would take issue with that, just because someone used a tragedy to promote certain beliefs?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Like EquALLity said, we're not a fan of Francione. He's a pseudoscience nutbar.

But here's the thing: If I'm going to criticize somebody, I want to find objective grounds to do it on.
I am not as affected by HOW people say things as WHAT they're saying.
If somebody says something untrue, I'm all over that. If that same person say something mean... well, what am I supposed to say?

I don't really like the way vegan gains gets his message across, but that's me, and unless I have hard data to back up what I'm saying, aren't those just my unsubstantiated feels?

Like I said, I don't appreciate him saying he was happy his grandfather was dead. That made him look bad. I think he was lying to himself. He's a kid with a youtube account. Not mature enough to be careful about what he says.

It's like the "draw Muhammad" stuff. It's sort of stupid, but I don't have much to say about it.
wfatheist wrote: straw man link but non the less this is the guy you're defending.
Am I defending him? He's a kid who is angry that his grandpa died.

If you want criticism of him:
Vegan gains thinks some vaccines cause autism -- in that regard, he's a fucking idiot, and a dangerous one at that, peddling pseudoscience.
Also, he's obsessed with the "80-10-10" diet, which is unsubstantiated and really too high in empty calories.
wfatheist wrote: It takes a real piece of shit to want to record someone dying and use it to promote their belief regardless of what you see in the person his
actions are disgusting at best.
I appreciate that. I don't know, I guess I don't really want to give people attention for bad behavior? He is doing this for attention. And he's getting what he wanted. I think he's promoting himself more than veganism.
wfatheist wrote: Just know that from comments that I've seen from videos like this and others people are taking this as
a reflection of vegans as a whole.
I'm sure some people are stepping in and saying "Hey, I'm vegan and he doesn't represent me, that's shitty what he's doing".
Right?
And that's cool.

I guess TheVeganAtheist could make a video about it and note that Vegan Gains' actions don't represent all vegans.
The thing is, his main shtick is calling out factual inaccuracies and bad reasoning, so I'm not sure how well it would fit.

I'll PM him about it.
wfatheist wrote: There was also another interesting video where someone was talking about the fact that vegans give a pass to other vegans for anything regardless of what it is.
Yes, Unnatural Vegan made one about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSK2q_60c3I

She also made one about his misogyny and baby hating. This new grandfather thing is just one in a long series of stunts he's been doing.
wfatheist wrote: I'm starting to wonder if that is what I'm witnessing here. I truly think if this were a meat eater who made this video and it was anti vegan you guys would be all over him.
If a meat eater claimed that a vegan diet caused somebody to have a heart attack and showed a video of them dying?
Of course, but for factual inaccuracy.

If a carnist found a stubborn vegan unwilling to take supplements dying of a B-12 deficiency due to his or her own ignorance and filmed that, then OK.
Vegans should see that they aught to supplement on B-12 now and then, shouldn't they? Some of these raw foodists and nature obsessed types are crazy. Even bite sized vegan is promoting that bullshit (she's a nutbar too).

Yeah, you know, I'm all for people busting those myths with shocking videos. It should be done. I'll thank them. ;)

It's hard to find, though, since a B-12 deficiency is so easily treated before it becomes dangerous (after symptoms are apparent). Even stubborn raw anti-supplement vegans are driven to the hospital by symptoms, and get treated long before it's life threatening.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Vegan gains thinks some vaccines cause autism -- in that regard, he's a fucking idiot, and a dangerous one at that, peddling pseudoscience.
do you have a video or link to something he wrote? I could use some of that in the video im preparing.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:
do you have a video or link to something he wrote? I could use some of that in the video im preparing.
It was in an interview he did with some girl outside. Looked like a park, I think. I don't know of any key words; somebody linked to it. It was pretty recent, though; I believe within the past few months.

EDIT: Also, I don't think it was on his channel.
Kyron

Post by Kyron »

There you go. A quick google for "Vegan Gains Interview" and it was the first one.

7:30 is where he suggests that medical scientists are "hiding" statistics on the "links between vaccinations and autism"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shW8HVHYunQ
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Kyron wrote:There you go. A quick google for "Vegan Gains Interview" and it was the first one.

7:30 is where he suggests that medical scientists are "hiding" statistics on the "links between vaccinations and autism"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shW8HVHYunQ
Yep, that's it. Thanks for that.