Labels: Atheist/Vegan - Why are they scary to some?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Labels: Atheist/Vegan - Why are they scary to some?

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Anyone have any ideas why prominent people refuse to call themselves what they are? One example comes to mind is Neil deGrasse Tyson. He is clearly a sketpic, rational thinker, but refuses to label himself an atheist.

Ive found a similar vein in veganism as well. Certain terms like "Atheist" or "Vegan" scare people from self-identifiying themselves as such, which does no favours to the people who do. Sure there are stereotypes and misconceptions with each label, but the only way to break those down is to come out, not hide.

What are your thoughts?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Twizelby

Re: Labels: Atheist/Vegan - Why are they scary to some?

Post by Twizelby »

Neil doesn't want the label because he is a public spokesperson. Enough people already won't watch cosmos because he never says existence happened by magic..
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Twizelby wrote:Neil doesn't want the label because he is a public spokesperson. Enough people already won't watch cosmos because he never says existence happened by magic..
More people, especially public spokesperson ought to be more vocal and not bow down to pressure
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

I think people to don't want to call themselves vegans/atheists because their afraid of the criticism that they might/will get from family members or friends. As I have posted previously about me being called a hippy, there are far worst things that people call me, and some are very sensitive towards peer pressure.
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

I think people like to stay away from calling themselves atheist and call themselves agnostic instead, because people directly think you are absolutely 100% certain of a God not existing and that it would be a believe in itself. This is something that sometimes happens to me, and it is really hard to explain that being an atheist is really a matter of saying that the proof of God's existence is too bad to believe in it, and that the burden of proof is not on me.

As for the label 'vegan'; I think it's kind of a xenophobic reaction. It's really natural for people to not be open to new kind of things. And veganism is something that goes far outside the normal conventions of society, so it's a kind of 'protection mechanism'.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

dan1073 wrote:I think people to don't want to call themselves vegans/atheists because their afraid of the criticism that they might/will get from family members or friends. As I have posted previously about me being called a hippy, there are far worst things that people call me, and some are very sensitive towards peer pressure.
I retract my statements about this applying to vegans, most people I know would like to call themselves vegans because of a social status "I'm vegan which means I'm different guys!" sort of attitude. This is not applying to all vegans this is from personal experience from people who call themselves "vegan" for a week then go back to eating meat again afterwards. It's almost like people who want to be "hipsters" but that's a totally different situation at hand :)
She's beautiful...
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

I think it's human nature to stick with a group.
This was for back in the day to survive.
Now it takes free thinking to break away from that instinct.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

TheVeganAtheist wrote: More people, especially public spokesperson ought to be more vocal and not bow down to pressure
He might be inclined to wait a little while longer, until he's enough of a household name with a good enough reputation to bring some of that to atheism before dropping the A bomb.

I think he has admitted that he is technically an atheist in the past, but that he just doesn't parade around the label. I might be confusing him with somebody else though.
CryoVirus

Post by CryoVirus »

On my opinion, as an Ex-Christian. and one who lives within the southern states of the United states, and of all places. Louisiana. Where most of everything has something to do with Religion here. And with so many Christian freinds that I have (I don't discreminate, I believe they may believe what they want. I'm in no place to argue unless they say my veiws are wrong, in which a debate will begin) now back to what I was saying, after growing up in church and such and then coming to the conclusion that a God doesn't exist (VA saw my hypothesis where a few years ago I tried to find credibility on a scientifical level which is a failure and in truth, a few people, including VA helped me disprove my Hypothesis in a way) but when coming out to everyone, you become intimidating to a lot of people saying your Atheist, because the stereotypes here, I was asked on a few occasions if I was backed by the Devil (Satan), I became an outcast for a few years in school, but never told those in my church because even as Atheists we have emotions, and I didn't like hurting people's feelings. I'll tell them some day I suppose but some of those in my church are in really bad shape and when I was Christian would try and teach me things, and I didn't want them thinking they failed at something....just personal feelings. But back to school (Sorry I'm not structured as I'd like to be) Until a few of my old freinds began to accept my religious disbelief , I was pretty alone, and was in fact. the only open Atheist to come out. So I guess it's just being scared of change...but as years past, I've converted a few people with VA's help so now, if anyone usually has concerns or wants a debate, they come to us, however they're those who keep distance, whether they are scared or simply annoyed; I don't have that answer.
~With a heart of Ice and an unbreakable Will, My soul is of the untouchable~

~CryoVirus 2012
dinnermeal
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by dinnermeal »

My friend states that she doesn't believe in God, nor follow any religion, yet she denies that she is an Atheist. Is this possible?
It's always October in Conneticut.