List of Fallacies to Avoid in Debates

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

List of Fallacies to Avoid in Debates

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

This forum is open to all theist vs atheist debates, and in an attempt to keep from spiralling down into fallacious arguments, below you will find links to a number of different sites wherein you can brush up on common logical fallacies, and learn to spot them in your own position and in others.

Thanks to forum member Free From Religion for the suggestion!

Links:

http://www.logicalfallacies.info
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
http://utminers.utep.edu/omwilliamson/E ... lacies.htm
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Neptual

Re: List of Fallacies to Avoid in Debates

Post by Neptual »

Another good fallacy to stray away from is the: Argumentum ad hominem – the evasion of the actual topic by directing the attack at your opponent. One that I see being used quite often when I am in heated debates with others.
She's beautiful...
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

In addition to my previous post here is a poster (downloadable by link provided) that displays all of the most common fallacies used
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/poster

She's beautiful...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Excellent, thanks Dan!
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:Excellent, thanks Dan!
No problem! :D
She's beautiful...
Free From Religion

Post by Free From Religion »

fallacy.jpg
The IFLS facebook page just posted this and I feel like it belongs here! Quick and easy to read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Remember that truth has nothing to fear from doubt. Truth withstands scrutiny. If anyone tries to convince you doubt is a sin while belief without evidence is a virtue... you can bet they are selling lies." -MystryBox
lanfear63
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by lanfear63 »

I see some flaws in your thinking behind this forum and it's ground-rules

For one...you have not allowed an agnostic choice in your preferences upon signup. Merely "Other"

You seem to want to choose an easy route in the debates and videos. There is some middle ground thinking and debate that is not being addressed. I see this too in the Austin atheist video's. Can you dare to be different?

There are people out their who are perfectly sensible, well balanced, intelligent, scientifically and logically minded who, don't do drugs, drink, have mental stability and clarity of mind.

These people may have no interest in believing in a God, deity etc or following a religion etc, yet somewhere in their lives have had one or more profound experiences that they wish to impart or discuss. I would count myself as one of them.

Could you open up a section for the likes of us please.

Otherwise I would have to conclude that you only want it to be black and white. An easy route!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

lanfear63 wrote: Could you open up a section for the likes of us please.

Otherwise I would have to conclude that you only want it to be black and white. An easy route!
Those kinds of discussions would be welcome in the atheist vs. theist section.

We have to group forum sections, or else there will be too many forum categories to check them all.

If you feel the topic of the section is too narrowly named, maybe you can suggest an amendment to the name?

Maybe something like Atheist vs. theist and other religious issues debates.

I'm sure the VeganAtheist is not trying to present a false dichotomy- though as a linguistic and philosophical issue, "agnostic" is generally considered a subset of "atheist"- even if you believe in some supernatural elements (if there is no conclusive belief in god). E.g. most of us are agnostic AND atheist, because we don't believe in a god, and yet most of us aren't certain about that.

I also consider people who believe in the existence of god-like beings, as long as they do not worship them or claim to have personal relationships with them, to be atheists, because Theism implies some kind of personal relationship of worship and supplication. That is, of course, a very liberal definition today.
lanfear63
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by lanfear63 »

Perhaps "The Middle Ground" Section would be a good name. Not talking about anything that relates to deities or supernatural beings that should be worshiped either.

The agnostic thing is just something I felt was missing.

Wikipedia has this to say about agnosticism: "According to the philosopher William L. Rowe, in the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively" There is a difference
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

lanfear63 wrote:I see some flaws in your thinking behind this forum and it's ground-rules

For one...you have not allowed an agnostic choice in your preferences upon signup. Merely "Other"
There is no third option. You either believe in a god (theist) or you don't believe in a god (atheist). What you claim to know (gnostic) or don't know (agnostic) is not being asked.

I am an agnostic atheist.
You seem to want to choose an easy route in the debates and videos. There is some middle ground thinking and debate that is not being addressed. I see this too in the Austin atheist video's. Can you dare to be different?
not sure what you mean. Middle ground?
There are people out their who are perfectly sensible, well balanced, intelligent, scientifically and logically minded who, don't do drugs, drink, have mental stability and clarity of mind.

These people may have no interest in believing in a God, deity etc or following a religion etc, yet somewhere in their lives have had one or more profound experiences that they wish to impart or discuss. I would count myself as one of them.

Could you open up a section for the likes of us please.
There is already a spot for that: off-topic discussion
conclude what you wish.