List of Fallacies to Avoid in Debates

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
User avatar
Shadow Fox
Junior Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:26 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Contact:

Re: List of Fallacies to Avoid in Debates

Post by Shadow Fox » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:25 am

I see, very well then. I salute you sir. Perhaps I was mistaken in the meaning of the fallacy after all.

Thank you for not calling me an idiot again.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:15 am

Shadow Fox wrote:I see, very well then. I salute you sir. Perhaps I was mistaken in the meaning of the fallacy after all.
Far be it from me to let you save face, there is no 'perhaps' in the matter.

You weren't just mistaken in the meaning of the fallacy in question, you were mistaken in what fallacies mean in general, and you failed to understand even what the fundamental concept in logic - validity - means.

When you understand the extreme magnitude of how profoundly and fundamentally wrong you were about everything you said, and note your insistence on your rightness despite that ignorance, you will understand why I called you an idiot.

Shadow Fox wrote:Thank you for not calling me an idiot again.
I was actually addressing PrincessPeach, and explaining it to her, because she asked nicely.

I called you an idiot not merely because you were ignorant -- ignorance is no crime. An idiot expresses a special combination of ignorance AND arrogance which is intolerable, making them all but immune to correction.

Stay humble, and you won't be called an idiot again, even if you're mistaken about something.


Do you now understand why my calling you an Idiot was not an ad hominem fallacy?

If you read my original post again, you will find that I had already explained what the "fallacy fallacy" was, and why you were mistaken.
The discussion was already over before it had begun.

It was at the prompting of your insistence that I called you an idiot, which had nothing to do with my discrediting your argument (which you did a good enough job of yourself by not understanding fundamental concepts in logic).


Hopefully now that you know how you were being an idiot, you can avoid being an idiot in the future. :)

PrincessPeach
Senior Member
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:36 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by PrincessPeach » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:07 am

Thanks brimstone you made that easy for me to understand...!
Don't be a waste of molecules

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:11 am

PrincessPeach wrote:Thanks brimstone you made that easy for me to understand...!
Glad to help! :D

metalized
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:37 pm
Religion: Other
Diet: Vegan

Post by metalized » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:21 pm

One more entertaining link, although I am not sure if someone has posted this one before. Sorry if this is the case

https://bookofbadarguments.com/?view=flipbook

Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1008
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:28 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: Presumably somewhere

Post by Cirion Spellbinder » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Is there such a fallacy as association fallacy?
It would basically state that just because something has been a part of A, which is now looked down upon, B must be just as evil as A for advocating for it. For example, the Neo-Nazi party has a notable favorability towards veganism among their ranks, therefore modern vegans are racist white supremacists.

User avatar
Insert name here
Full Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:03 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Location: Insert location here.

Post by Insert name here » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:Is there such a fallacy as association fallacy?
It would basically state that just because something has been a part of A, which is now looked down upon, B must be just as evil as A for advocating for it. For example, the Neo-Nazi party has a notable favorability towards veganism among their ranks, therefore modern vegans are racist white supremacists.
Yes, it is called the "Guilt by association" fallacy. Here's a link to a site that explains it.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/guiltbya.html

One example from this site is, "Hitler was in favor of euthanasia, therefore euthanasia is wrong." I hope that I helped.
Insert signature here.

Aniket123456
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:38 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Aniket123456 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 am

Okay test reply

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Aniket123456 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 am
Okay test reply
What are you testing?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests