Showering

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Showering

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 pm Just overruling *requirements* to have lawns either through legislation or the courts would be a big start, then beyond that you could institute steep taxes on sod and grass seed as well as various weed killer products meant for lawns. Use the taxes to subsidize climate appropriate local plants and trees, and encourage family gardens.

A program where urban farmers could rent sections of lawns would be pretty cool, yes.
I think the problem is during winter when it snows, it might screw up the gardens (maybe if they're genetically modified to resist harsh weather, but the average person is a numbnuts). I would suggest everyone builds a greenhouse, but those might be expensive and just plain won't look good for most people.
Maybe sharing a garden in each community? That might have problems too though.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 pm An anonymous letter or online petition might work; the latter could count signatures, limiting it to one per IP so he could see that multiple students and peers feel that way.
The petition thing might seem kinda like a public humiliation thing though, I don't think my high school would appreciate that even if it is anonymous. A letter might work. Not that it matters though, I already graduated from there. I will visit the school in the future when I have time off.

I forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure people who don't shower don't know how bad they smell, but that's just a guess.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 pm It's such a lazy episode, they made it out like PETA was for and against euthanizing stray animals and contradicting themselves.
My biggest problem with the episode is that they pretty much made PETA as representative of the animal rights movement as a whole. Sure they said in particular they would focus on PETA, but they didn't really separate that in the way I hoped.

If they had a rational member of the animal rights movement on there (instead of the crazies) and lended him or her credibility, that would've been better, but they had less than reputable people on there (like that marketing asshole in the beginning. The lady was the closest they had), and Ted Nugent for whatever fucking reason, he literally didn't add anything of value. He just reinforced redneck stereotypes of being dumb, loud and obnoxious and spouted the usual BS of how vegetarians and vegans are just liberal pussies.

I mean, the episode did give us this gem of a quote:
Penn wrote:Teller and I would personally kill every chimp in the world with our bare hands to save one street junkie with AIDS.
I also find it amusing how Penn critiqued the vegetarians as being skeletons, and the meat eaters were bigger and more apparent, now look how he lost weight. Guess being big and fat ain't so fun after all, huh Penn?
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 pm You might want to direct him to some criticism of that episode and explain that you don't think it's appropriate to share clearly biased anti-animal-rights propaganda in class.
If I see him again, I will try.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 pm 67 in the summer? Yikes.
Sometimes it's 68.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Tokiolor
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Tokiolor »

Jamie in Chile wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:18 pm We have a lawn and there is no way I am going to let the grass die because neither wife nor landlord would agree to it. There is a sprinkler system and the grass is something like 1000-2000 sq metres and uses up more than the whole household use probably to water it.

There is some lake some miles from here that dried up and I saw a post on facebook where someone had an arial photo and posted all the gardens with lawns around the dried up lake to try and shame them into letting the grass die in summer. It can be grown back of course in the winter.

In some places, such as Europe north of the alps, you can maintain a lawn without watering it. In the UK 3 weeks in a row without a single drop of rain would be very unusual, even in summer.
I had an ordinary sprinkler like this lately, but now I'm planning to buy a new one with limits and sensors to save water.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

Funny to see this old thread rebooted.

Grass
Especially funny to read my comment from last year. “We have a lawn and there is no way I am going to let the grass die because neither wife nor landlord would agree to it”. Funny because the grass is now dead.

The sprinkler system stopped working around October. I was never too sure to what extent it was an electrical or mechanical fault and to what extent it was because the well is running dry. The landlord's family sent some men to deepen the well, and it got going again for a while, but then stopped again. I haven't been too motivated to get them to fix it because we are in a years long drought and it won't be a good look to be sitting on green grass in summer if the drought gets serious enough to affect water supply to households or agriculture. So we just had dead grass all summer and same all spring since the grought continues. It looks like the water in the well is coming up again and a bit of rain is starting, so at some point I'll look at this again.

Solar
Re the conversation about green infrastructure and solar panels from last year, I have changed my mind on solar panels. I originally decided against adding solar panels to a rented house on the grounds that after allowing for later having to pay for the system to be reinstalled in another house (or sold cheaply if that isn't possible) I would never get back all of the initial investment and it would be an expensive way to do some good, and it would make more sense to just give a few hundreds dollars (the estimated lifetime losses on the solar project) to environmental orgnizations and charities that could in theory cut carbon footprint more than the solar installation will. So I gave the donations, and forgot about the solar for a while.

But, I changed my mind since then after rethinking it.

1. For one thing, there just isn't enough offsets out there. According to science and analysis and policy experts, we have to get to negative emissions eventually. That is kind of like saying I have to build solar panels (so as not to use the carbon) while also paying for carbon offsets (to offset the carbon I didn't even burn, or maybe I did but years ago, or someone else did or will).
2. I have become even more environmental since my last post, started going to protests. In one of the environmental protests I went to, I held up a sign saying to shut the coal fired power plants (39% of Chile's electricity in both 2018 and 2019). I think it makes more sense to protest against the fossil fuel industry if you are not constantly buying its products, and I think it will make me a stronger advocate. The fossil fuel companies are our enemy, so we should stop using their products as much as is possible and practical (to borrow a vegan line).
3. My giving of money to carbon offsets has never inspired anyway to do the same. In fact, I have rarely even told anyone I do it. The solar panels on my house will be a natural conversation starter, and will probably lead to maybe one other person installing solar panels, and probably ten conversations about climate change happening naturally that would never have happened.

Showers
I have managed to get the cold showers to a new late record of so far today June 4th. We are having a mild start to the winter (remember I am southern hemisphere), still I am one cold snap away from switching to hot showers.