Showering

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Showering

Post by Red » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 pm

@brimstoneSalad I think my showerhead is already low flow. I don't turn the water all the way on anymore, and I shampoo less (I use a showercap since it's a pain in the ass to dry my hair, and it's irritating to have it even slightly wet).

@Jamie in Chile Thanks for the advice, I'll take it into account.

I just wanted to know, is it healthier to take cool/cold showers? I'm gradually preferring them more the more I do them.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Red wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 pm
I just wanted to know, is it healthier to take cool/cold showers? I'm gradually preferring them more the more I do them.
Some people argue it is, and to take them less frequently, to preserve the oils on your skin. Hotter and more frequent showers may disrupt that.
It seems like a pretty weak argument to me, but you may be able to find more info on it if you search.

Minos
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by Minos » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:34 am

Red wrote:
It is healthier, it improves blood flow into your skin through capillaries. Natural reaction of body is to restrict blood flow into skin to prevent temperature drop in your core. After shower, when you massage skin by drying it with towel, the body dilates capillaries and pumps more blood to skin. Same effect applies to muscles and is good after exercise, because it helps flush metabolic waste from muscle out, and bring nutrients in.

Your body also learns how to deal with cold shock response and how not to overreact to it and if you take cold showers for 3-5 minutes, then over time body also improves in generating chemical heat (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10825419). It is not as good as winter swimming, but it is better than hot shower.

It also can help to improve your mental health (maybe even with depression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5371197/). Also enjoying long hot shower maybe indication of poor mental health.

But back to the original topic. I live in Europe, so the climate here is mild. Last year I started with winter swimming and part of that is showering in cold water. Over colder months I shower after exercise (usually every two days) in warmish shower (because I sweat a lot) with cold water at the end and keep it under 10 minutes. Over summer, I take shower every day. Cold water helps me with timing, also I turn the water of when using soap. I'll try to measure, what is my usual water consumption over one shower.

What is your overall daily water consumption? I live alone in a flat and trying to stay under 80 liters a day. Average consumption in my area is 107 liters a day.

Minos
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by Minos » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:41 am

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 pm
Red wrote:
Some people argue it is, and to take them less frequently, to preserve the oils on your skin. Hotter and more frequent showers may disrupt that.
It seems like a pretty weak argument to me, but you may be able to find more info on it if you search.
If you are using soap (and what soap) have much bigger impact on preserving skin oils, than temperature of water itself. That is why I'm using soap / shampoo on hair, private parts, armpits and feet.