Sam Seder - Does he have a chance?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Sam Seder - Does he have a chance?

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

As I'm sure you're probably aware by now, it's not too long before the 2020 U.S. Presidential election. As you're also probably aware, the big names are all throwing their hat into the ring to become the nominee of the Democratic Party. So far we've had Sanders, O'Rourke, Harris, Booker, Warren and Gabbard, all of whom were suspected to run. Many people are predicting that Biden will run as well. However, what has probably slipped your mind is the battle that is being waged by the third parties for President of the United States, and if so, I don't blame you because it slipped my mind as well until recently. The fact is that, more than ever before, the voice of the third parties is going to be drowned out in this election due to how polarised the United States has became.

Now more than ever, it is almost certain that a third party will not win the Presidency. Now more than ever, it is almost certain that a third party doesn't even have a fighting chance of getting onto the televised debates at the next election. However, something rather peculiar appears to be going on within America's largest third party, the Libertarian Party.

The progressive talk show host Sam Seder has formed an exploratory committee into becoming the Libertarian Party presidential candidate, basically as a joke due to his opposition to the policies of the Libertarian Party. However, in a poll conducted by Third Party Watch which surveyed 730 registered Libertarian voters, 43% supported Seder, more than those who supported any other candidate.

To my great surprise, Aleppo Man will not be running in this election. The main candidates for the Libertarian Party's nomination are (listed in my opinion from best to worst): Sam Seder, Vermin Supreme (Another satirical candidate with policies such as free ponies for everybody), John McAfee (basically your run-of-the-mill libertarian), Adam Kokesh (An anarcho-capitalist who is polling at 34%, the candidate with the most support besides Seder) and Arvin Vohra (An anarcho-capitalist who has defended paedophilia and has a strong hatred of public school teachers, even going so far to say that they are worse than racists).

What do you think? Does Seder have a chance at winning the Libertarian nomination? And what would the implications of a progressive leading a libertarian party be?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Sam Seder - Does he have a chance?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Very interesting! It could have a shot at reforming the libertarian party if it happened. Not sure what the results of that would be, though.