I'm Gonna Miss High School (For the most part)

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Lay Vegan
Diet: Vegan

Re: I'm Gonna Miss High School (For the most part)

Post by Lay Vegan »

Red wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 pm Well, it's not just for any material benefit, it's just to push the boundry of human knowledge a tiny, tiny, TINY bit.
It sounds like you’re in it for the right reasons. :) After your undergrad years, you’ll likely devote the next 5+ years of your life conducting extensive research & specialized training in your field, and with relatively little income to support yourself. You’ll miss a sizable number of years that could’ve been spent getting a more practical/applicable job; making money that could’ve been invested toward your retirement, donated to charity, or used toward rent or buying a home.

That said, a PhD will certainly be crucial when applying for research grants and establishing your creditability as a scientist. So if that’s the life you want to pursue I say go for it.
Red wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 pm It's also on my bucket list.
Well that's certainly one of the kinder things I've seen on a bucket list. :lol:
Red wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 pm @brimstoneSalad talked with Teo about it a few months back, so I would say yes.
I mean he probably has a PhD in some field, but he also seems to value his anonymity, so I won't bother asking for confirmation (or for their publications) :mrgreen: .
Red wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 pm Well, it was more of like me just talking too much. I almost never correct a teacher in front of the whole class, unless it's something incredibly minor, like a computational error. But yeah overall just me running at the lip you know what I'm saying.
Apologies! I didn't realize you meant you "over-participate" in class. Participation is definitely a good thing. I wish I were more outgoing in high school.