SJWs who don't do shit to improve the world

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

SJWs who don't do shit to improve the world

Post by Jebus » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm

While I hope you excuse the double negative thread title, I find it hard to believe it's been less than three years since I first heard of the term SJW especially since many intelligent people, such as Sam Harris, think SJWs inadvertently tilted the 2016 election in favor of Trump.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=683&hilit=social+justice+warrior

I am thinking of a cartoon, Vegan Sidekick style, that would best illustrate the hypocrisy of a person who always points out racism, sexism, etc. in others without having demonstrated any sacrifice in their own lives to further the cause of women or minorities.

My initial idea is to somehow analogize the average SJW with the person who will not stop eating meat because he likes it. I.e. the SJW will do anything to protect women and minorities unless s/he have to change his/her dietary habits.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
Canastenard
Junior Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:20 pm
Diet: Vegan
Contact:

Post by Canastenard » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm not sure to understand the purpose of this. What do you mean by sacrifices to protect women and minorities? Just not being mean to them?

Is it about presenting the hypocrisy of people who do social justice advocacy while still harassing women and minorities themselves? But if it's just about mocking people who are vocal about the importance of not perpetrating sexist and racist habits then what I'd expect it to do would just make you like a ranting bigot.

To be fair the closest thing about actual sacrifice in favor of a world that's less sexist and more inclusive to minorities, which would actually be considered equivalent to abandoning meat in favor of animals, would be choosing primarily cultural products (movies, video games, etc.) based on how much they avoid overused tropes that pander to white males and represent women and minorities more fairly. Is it the kind of "sacrifice" you were referring to?

I would also be careful about the statement about SJWs leading to Trump's election. I imagine two kinds of negative reactions to so-called SJWs: one to a minority pushing obvious exaggeration (like saying we should never question anything a woman ever says) and the other being just reactionary and basically sexist itself. The former is sensible, I don't imagine it ending up in making someone vote for Trump just because of a nutty minority; the kind of people I'd expect to vote for Trump by virtue of being annoyed by SJWs are I think reactionary and annoyed by any form of acknowledgement that we should stop perpetuating injustice against people who are not straight white males in the first place.
Appeal to nature: the strange belief that what is perceived as "natural" is necessarily safer, more effective or morally superior compared to what isn't.

User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 am

Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
What do you mean by sacrifices to protect women and minorities? Just not being mean to them?
This could be any personal inconvenience that would help women or minorities avoid bigotry. Such could include:
Making an anonymous donation to a charity in support of such a group.
Putting yourself at risk of physical harm while assisting a woman or minority in threat of a physical attack.
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
Is it about presenting the hypocrisy of people who do social justice advocacy while still harassing women and minorities themselves?
It might imply that they didn't object when they themselves profited at the expense of a disadvantaged group.
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
But if it's just about mocking people who are vocal about the importance of not perpetrating sexist and racist habits then what I'd expect it to do would just make you like a ranting bigot.
This comment makes no sense.
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
To be fair the closest thing about actual sacrifice in favor of a world that's less sexist and more inclusive to minorities, which would actually be considered equivalent to abandoning meat in favor of animals, would be choosing primarily cultural products (movies, video games, etc.) based on how much they avoid overused tropes that pander to white males and represent women and minorities more fairly. Is it the kind of "sacrifice" you were referring to?
Perhaps you can explain how a video game is not inclusive to minorities. If anything I think the current movie industry is more guilty of reversed racism than actual racism so I don't see how that would apply.
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
I would also be careful about the statement about SJWs leading to Trump's election. I imagine two kinds of negative reactions to so-called SJWs: one to a minority pushing obvious exaggeration (like saying we should never question anything a woman ever says) and the other being just reactionary and basically sexist itself. The former is sensible
Maybe I am misunderstanding you. Are you suggesting that it is sensible to never question anything a woman ever says?
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
I don't imagine it ending up in making someone vote for Trump just because of a nutty minority;
SJW culture is ingrained in the American education system. It's a lot more than just a nutty minority and it definitely tilted the election in Trump's favor. The occurrence of people yelling sexism and racism without any foundation is becoming increasingly common. A lot of Americans are fed up and the number of people concerned with reverse racism/sexism is growing quickly.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Jebus wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 am
SJW culture is ingrained in the American education system. It's a lot more than just a nutty minority and it definitely tilted the election in Trump's favor. The occurrence of people yelling sexism and racism without any foundation is becoming increasingly common. A lot of Americans are fed up and the number of people concerned with reverse racism/sexism is growing quickly.
I think it is just a nutty minority, but it's a VERY vocal one, and it's perception that drives people concerns and voting patterns.
Too many false accusations of racism (crying wolf) have led to actual racists getting into the public sphere and those criticisms being ignored.

Hopefully the mid term election will turn things around.

User avatar
Canastenard
Junior Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:20 pm
Diet: Vegan
Contact:

Post by Canastenard » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Jebus wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 am
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
What do you mean by sacrifices to protect women and minorities? Just not being mean to them?
This could be any personal inconvenience that would help women or minorities avoid bigotry. Such could include:
Making an anonymous donation to a charity in support of such a group.
Putting yourself at risk of physical harm while assisting a woman or minority in threat of a physical attack.
Oh yeah I understand a bit better now. To be fair I considered in my original post to comment about putting yourself in situations that would question the normality of sexist jokes for example and could be a bit hard socially, for example I was once walking in the street with friends and one of them told me to stop watching the buttock of the woman in front of me, just as a "joke". I wasn't doing that, and even if I did this person should not have said it at this moment, because the woman in question was like, three meters from us? I fear she may have heard it and feel ashamed as a result. My reaction to this "joke" was to facepalm, but I could have made somewhat of a personal sacrifice by explicitly telling this person it was inappropriate.
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
But if it's just about mocking people who are vocal about the importance of not perpetrating sexist and racist habits then what I'd expect it to do would just make you like a ranting bigot.
This comment makes no sense.
What I wanted to say is to be careful about this stuff because I feel like a lot of anti-SJWism is actually bigotry and if not done well this concept you're presenting may end up looking like distate for anything that remotely looks like social justice advocacy (not just the obvious exaggerated extreme kind).
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
To be fair the closest thing about actual sacrifice in favor of a world that's less sexist and more inclusive to minorities, which would actually be considered equivalent to abandoning meat in favor of animals, would be choosing primarily cultural products (movies, video games, etc.) based on how much they avoid overused tropes that pander to white males and represent women and minorities more fairly. Is it the kind of "sacrifice" you were referring to?
Perhaps you can explain how a video game is not inclusive to minorities. If anything I think the current movie industry is more guilty of reversed racism than actual racism so I don't see how that would apply.
Again there was something I considered putting in my initial post but cut to avoid overload. I'm not sure if a video game by itself can be considered sexist, the problem instead may arise when there's a trend that offers little variety in term of tropes and identity representation across a wide range of cultural products. A game with a male protagonist who must save the damsel in distress may not be sexist in a vacuum, but when the trope is overrecurring, when you see that games tend to have a disproportionate amount of males and the few females tend to be less diverse and more cliché in role and personality, and characters with an obviously sexy design are more often females, you can see there's a problem.

I was a bit confused by what you meant so I tried to imagine what it could actually imply so I made an admittedly clumsy comparison with the ethical consumerism aspect of veganism but after your comment I realize there are other aspects to veganism that could better be compared with what you meant, like asking others to not scare pigeons in the street for fun, or pointing out aspects of pet care in others that may be lacking such as giving an inappropriately small cage for their rodent.
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
I would also be careful about the statement about SJWs leading to Trump's election. I imagine two kinds of negative reactions to so-called SJWs: one to a minority pushing obvious exaggeration (like saying we should never question anything a woman ever says) and the other being just reactionary and basically sexist itself. The former is sensible
Maybe I am misunderstanding you. Are you suggesting that it is sensible to never question anything a woman ever says?
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but what I meant is that it's sensible to see things like never ever questioning what a woman says as exaggeration. Or in other words, it's sensible to ignore things that are not sensible.
Canastenard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm
I don't imagine it ending up in making someone vote for Trump just because of a nutty minority;
SJW culture is ingrained in the American education system. It's a lot more than just a nutty minority and it definitely tilted the election in Trump's favor. The occurrence of people yelling sexism and racism without any foundation is becoming increasingly common. A lot of Americans are fed up and the number of people concerned with reverse racism/sexism is growing quickly.
I could imagine exaggerated SJWism making racist or sexist people who would note have voted go to vote for Trump as a reaction. Otherwise I find it a bit hard to believe that people who don't like such SJWism but are not bigots would vote for someone so obviously on the opposite extreme.
Appeal to nature: the strange belief that what is perceived as "natural" is necessarily safer, more effective or morally superior compared to what isn't.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest