Should The Senate Be Abolished?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Re: Should The Senate Be Abolished?

Post by Jebus » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 am
Is there really any need for these snide remarks at my expense? Have I done something to offend you, or has something happened and you are taking your frustrations out on me?

Is this really all about the presidency or is there something else you want to talk about, Jebus?
LOL. I just noticed you sent me a pm a few hours before you posted your reply here. I don't know what you wrote as you deleted it before I had a chance to read it. My guess is you told me to fuck off but then later decided to play the victim game instead.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: UK

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:41 am

Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 am
Is there really any need for these snide remarks at my expense? Have I done something to offend you, or has something happened and you are taking your frustrations out on me?

Is this really all about the presidency or is there something else you want to talk about, Jebus?
LOL. I just noticed you sent me a pm a few hours before you posted your reply here. I don't know what you wrote as you deleted it before I had a chance to read it. My guess is you told me to fuck off but then later decided to play the victim game instead.
Yes, I told you to fuck off and then I deleted it because I decided to play the victim game. I also went to the trouble of buying photoshop in order to fake this screenshot of a conversation between myself and Red on a discord server.

The reason I did this was because Red and I are members of the Illuminati and your criticisms of the U.S. Presidency are a threat to our conspiracy to take over the world.

It seems we are going to have to find some other way of silencing you. Mwahaha... mwahahahahaa... ahahahahahahaha!!!! :twisted:
Attachments
2018_08_31.png
2018_08_31.png (246.92 KiB) Viewed 993 times
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2557
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: White House

Post by Red » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
I never wrote that the POTUS is more powerful at "passing laws" so the fact that some dictators have more control of their laws is irrelevant. I suggested that the POTUS is one of the most powerful people on the planet.
I was referring to your point about how the President is still one of the top three most powerful people in the country, even without Congress or the Courts.
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
Obviously I think it's an inherent bad. That's the whole point of my argument. Any system where attempts to limit the powers of the presidency must be approved by the president is inherently fucked up.
It's a double edged sword. I don't think it's fair to call it an inherent good or bad if the possibilities of either are present.
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
Power comes down to two things:
1. The freedom to do as you please.
You can't do as you please, since the President is not above the law, and, for like the 15th time, can be blocked by the other branches.

Are you aware of the Checks and Balances placed?
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
If one were to compare Trump to Putin, Putin definitely wins on point 1 whereas Trump would win on point 2. Some of the dictators mentioned earlier in this thread are so weak on point 2 that they don't come close to the power of Trump or Putin.
This may or may not be true, but maybe we can estimate this.
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
Accumulated knowledge over time is not irrelevant (at least not until senility kicks in), especially when discussing history that one of the parties is old enough to remember (or old enough to remember the direct aftermath).
So are you implying that I haven't studied those eras in history or had conversations about them with others?
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
Yes.
Then why didn't you just say you also studied it at a college level, instead of saying you have age over me? Or, are you loosely defining 'college level'?
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
Could be, should be. Who gives a shit? The whole point of the discussion is if one type of system is superior to the other, and that includes both potential benefit and potential harm.
Okay, now you have to prove that having no President would be better than having one.
Don't you think it'd be more cost effective to just adjust how the Presidency functions, rather than eliminating it altogether? This is reminding me of conversations about anarchism.
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
Who do you think has the biggest potential to pass shitty legislation: one person or a group of people?
With the way politics works in this country, and how everything is framed, roughly both have the same potential.
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
An executive order can go into effect immediately. Lots of damage can be done before the Supreme Court or Congress overturns the order.
If it isn't done at the Federal Level, local courts will quickly overturn it.

The President still has to work with the Congress and Courts, and without them, are basically impossible to enforce.

Not to mention, like a lot of laws proposed by Congress, Executive Orders usually take a lot of time to be implemented; Executive Order 9981 wasn't fully implemented until a few years after it is signed.
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
Very few (if any) countries give away as much power to one person as the U.S. If one were to define a country's success according to the life quality of all its citizens relative to that country's location and amount of natural resources, the most successful countries are those with a wide power base.
This sounds like a practical concern.
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:33 am
I both started and finished my formal education in the U.S., and having lived most of my life outside the U.S. I think I am able to look at US history and government more objectively than most.
There may be biases affecting both of us; I assume you're not too fond of the US?

I'll respond to your other post later.
If the circumstances make it such that you can't fuck a man in the ass, then just peckerslap him. Better to let him know who's in charge than to let him get the keys to the car.
-Lyndon Baines Johnson

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: UK

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:20 am

The President according to Jebus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNS4t5UCBfI
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: UK

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:13 am

@Jebus We'd need an executive branch to have checks and balances on the legislative branch.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: UK

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:17 am

Well, since Jebus deleted my earlier posts due to the images being too big, I'll reiterate my points once more:
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 am
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:09 am
@Jebus Do you want the United States to become a semi-presidential republic or to have no president at all?
Semi-presidential is better than its current form but I would prefer no president at all.
You have not made a single point in favour of having no President at all. In fact, you have praised European countries, many of which are semi-presidential republics. Can you give one example of a successful country with no president at all? I'll wait. The only ones I can think of are constitutional monarchies, and I doubt that you really think that that is any better (unless you do).
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 am
We are both being dicks. The difference is that I am being a dick with some good arguments.
Yes, arguments so good that you don't want to demostrate them. Both Red and I have responded to your points, and you have clearly been online, yet we have heard no response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD_HuA9pbE

It's almost as if your arguments are actually piss poor.

Finally, an image I uploaded of Winston Churchill with the caption "Tell Hitler his Coolmath-Games subscription expires in 2 days" was removed. I shan't upload the image again lest it lead to this post being taken down, but this image was a small one, and the fact that the post was removed demonstrates to me that this was not actually about images being too big.

You could make the argument that this image did not further the discussion, and you'd be right. But then again, this doesn't further the discussion either:
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am
LOL. I just noticed you sent me a pm a few hours before you posted your reply here. I don't know what you wrote as you deleted it before I had a chance to read it. My guess is you told me to fuck off but then later decided to play the victim game instead.
I look forward to hearing your response (or lack thereof)!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: UK

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 am

@Jebus

Since you referred me to rule 5 (in a private message), I'd like to refer you to rule 1:

This is a discussion forum. Please come here willing to discuss. This isn't a place to lecture, and then refuse to address others' rational arguments or even answer others' questions. Discussion is founded upon logic, if you don't accept basic logic as valid, there's really nothing for you to do here except lecture, and this isn't the place for it. Again: This is a discussion forum.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: UK

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:28 am

Bob, take a telegram. "To @sykkelmannen, Sennet Studios, Hollywood, California. Congrats stop. Have found only person in world with poorer arguments than you stop. Name: Jebus stop. Signed, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz stop". Oh, and put a P.S.: "Please, please, please... stop."
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:47 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 am
@Jebus

Since you referred me to rule 5 (in a private message), I'd like to refer you to rule 1:

This is a discussion forum. Please come here willing to discuss. This isn't a place to lecture, and then refuse to address others' rational arguments or even answer others' questions. Discussion is founded upon logic, if you don't accept basic logic as valid, there's really nothing for you to do here except lecture, and this isn't the place for it. Again: This is a discussion forum.
Anyone is free not to respond if they so choose. Rule 1 refers to forum members who respond to posts without addressing others' arguments.

I will respond once Red responds to my last post. However, nearly all of your points either make little sense or have already been responded to. Please don't waste my time with any more bullshit.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:57 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Ostrovegan
Location: UK

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:56 am

However, nearly all of your points either make little sense or have already been responded to.
Literally all of them make a lot of sense and haven't been responded to. If you can give me one example of one point I have made which doesn't fit this criteria I will do my best to do this:
Please don't waste my time with any more bullshit.
Define "bullshit".

Because my idea of bullshit is pretty similar to this:
Jebus wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am
LOL. I just noticed you sent me a pm a few hours before you posted your reply here. I don't know what you wrote as you deleted it before I had a chance to read it. My guess is you told me to fuck off but then later decided to play the victim game instead.
And to deleting my posts without giving an explanation, and then only giving an explanation once I call you out on it, but the explanation still not making sense for reasons which I have already pointed out.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests