Best Charities to Donate to?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Best Charities to Donate to?

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Hello everyone, so my birthday is coming up in 4 days, and as always my parents have asked me what they could get me.

I can't think of any physical objects for myself that I want, and so I've been thinking:
Why not just ask them to donate money to a charity of my choice?

I care about effective altruism, and so I'd like to get input on what the best charities are.

According to https://animalcharityevaluators.org/, the best animal charities are:
-Animal Equality
-The Humane League
-The Good Food Institute

They mention a lot of "Standout Charities" as well.

Do you agree or disagree with ACE's judgments? What animal charities are best? Also, what are the best charities for promotion of human well-being?

For admins:
Maybe there is already a discussion thread about effective altruism and/or best charities, and this post can be moved there. I tried to find one myself, but couldn't.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Best Charities to Donate to?

Post by Red »

Now I'm not sure if the ACE's judgements are okay, but I recommend also giving to other charities, instead of just prioritizing animal rights ones, especially if you want effective altruism.

For that, you can donate to orginizations such as the Foundation to Decrease Worldsuck, or Educate!. I like to donate based on priority, so for example, since I value environmentalism, I'd donate more to that than say homeless charities (not that they aren't an issue).

To be fair, donating to help animals is both ethical and environmentally important, so that should be high on the list. I'm just saying make sure to give to other charities.

Have you heard of tab for a cause? You can earn hearts by simply opening new tabs, and donate to a selection charity picked by the creators.

https://tab.gladly.io

For human well being, you can donate to humanrightswatch.org
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Hi Red, thank you for your response. I simply got money from my parents, so I will give to an organization once I've made up my mind. I'll let you know what I choose.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Roman0vmarisa

Post by Roman0vmarisa »

I would donate to a small and/or local charity who is in more need of the money.

What is close to your heart? Do you want to help wildlife? Cat rescues? Farmed animal rescues? Fur campaigns? You can choose a different one every time you donate, of course!
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I gave to these four charities in equal amounts this year based on discussion in a book I read, the charity evaluator website, other things I heard, and my own opinion after reading their own websites. With all that I somehow decided that these were the best four, with none really standing out. I haven't kept any notes on my research though.

Animal Equality International
The Good Food Institute
The Humane League
Vegan Outreach

Perhaps you're aware of Givewell. They reccomend top charities that are not animal rated such as Against Malaria Foundation.