Jesus doesn't exist, according to 126 Historical texts.

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Jesus doesn't exist, according to 126 Historical texts.

Post by Red »

Is this true? Basically what the article says is that a historian read 126 articles from the time of Jesus, and there is no mention of him anywhere. Now I wouldn't exactly a reason to stop believing, because I am a very gullible person, and this article could just be nonsense. (Even though I'm still a strong atheist) What do you think?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1504964/jesus-never-existed/
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Jesus doesn't exist, according to 126 Historical texts.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The Jesus character may or may not have existed, although lack of real evidence doesn't mean he didn't.
The character as represented in the Scripture of course didn't exist, but it may have been based crudely on one or more people who were close enough that we could say "yeah, that was Jesus".

Religion, and history itself, is rife with figures who probably didn't exist, or are so deviated from their original forms that they're virtually unrecognizable.

Moses, LaoTzu, YHWH who was EL who was probably based on an ancient king in the region (and of whom there are stories wherein he acts like a very human tribal leader, like Beowulf - who also may or may not have existed).

Then you have your strongly historical figures like Imhotep and Muhammad for whom there are mountains of biographical evidence- but those are comparatively quite few, and usually only happened because they were relatively modern or they became extremely popular within their lifetimes in a region dense with scribes and historical writers (what amount usually to journalists or the day).
descendancy0

Post by descendancy0 »

Well essentially Jesus did not exist. I mean if I said for instance, Spiderman exists, except he does not fight crime or wear a costume, his name is neither Peter Parker nor Spiderman, he has no super powers and is actually a ten year old Somalian child, would that still be Spiderman? No. So if Jesus existed, yet he wasn't the household white jew with long hair and a beared, he wasn't born in Bethlehem, and he wasn't the son of God, does that still make him Jesus? No. Correct me if I'm wrong.
gogogadgetarms
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by gogogadgetarms »

If Jesus didn't actually exist, I wouldn't lose sleep. There are some characters and facts in the new testament that are historically verifiable. Actual evidence for Jesus' existence is unclear and lacking.To chose a non-existent person would mean that no chance for controversy about the actual person to come to light. It's very possible that Jesus could just be Christians idea of a perfect person or Christ. However, I find it hard to believe that early Christians just invented the entire Jesus character and persona without having a person or people in mind to build off of. There is also a good possibility that the story of Jesus is the story of several different people lumped into one great guy. Certainly all the things attributed to Jesus cannot possibly be true for anyone. However, the basic idea that there was a man named Jesus who preached stuff about baptism and Good and was seen as holy and special by illiterate desert peasants is not unbelievable at all.
For the first few hundred years, Christians were persecuted and Jesus was supposedly executed for being a heretic and a risk to society. Evidence was probably intentionally destroyed and censored by the Jewish and Roman people who didn't want their social order being compromised and Jesus being a martyr. When Romans accepted Christianity, they downplayed their part in trying to destroy the movement for obvious political reasons. Given this, it's no wonder it's actually hard to find facts about the guy's life. Also consider several hundred years passed before being a follower of him wasn't dangerous or illegal.
I think there are stronger points for his existence, however beyond being a holy man in Roman Judea with controversial ideas, I doubt there is actually much more special about the guy, so why would a lot of people have written about him when he actually lived?
JadeSpeedster17

Post by JadeSpeedster17 »

He might have existed, or might not. Remember people often over detail the tales of one man until they becoming legend, what did happen and what is told are two different things. So if Jesus existed, I don't think he was the an many people worship today.
eloine

Post by eloine »

I don't know about jesus, but satanism really exists and are the elite of the world manipulating all Humans on earth that doesn't want to believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgrEz89EnbA&feature=share