locally grown

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

locally grown

Post by Twizelby »

Do you believe that locally grown food is beneficial? I have read both sides and it seems like it doesn't matter much that it was locally grown. Also if in your answer you could include both locally grown organic and locally grown GMO that would be most helpful.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: locally grown

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I don't know what you're talking about.

Locally grown food just reduces transportation costs/CO2 output from trucking the food to distant places.

There's no magical health benefit to locally grown food. You will find that it's often cheaper, however, due to the local source.

Also, "Organic" food is dangerous -- too many dangerous pesticides. There's nothing wrong with GMO in itself, beyond the patent crazy companies and their business practices.
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

If you eat locally, you have to eat foods that actually grow well locally, and not so much exotic food.

As mentioned in the article, it's not a huge issue anyway, transportation of food isn't all that expensive when it's done on such a scale.

He does ignore specialized infrastructure, though, and practices like window farming, which can more or less take care of your green veggie needs.
There are a lot of things that can be grown locally, but we obviously need to consider the whole picture (some of which he paints).
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

The only thing I can think of is that it might help with hay fever or other allergies, but I've never seen a scientific study on this.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum