Abortion- Morality/Women's rights

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
mkm
Diet: Vegan

Re: Abortion- Morality/Women's rights

Post by mkm »

PsYcHo wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:37 pm Oh you devil. Flattery will get you nowhere.. :twisted:
Nah, I just adjusted the message ;)
PsYcHo wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:37 pm I have to challenge this, because you are leaving out an important part.

If I was knowledgeable that pulling into a particular port would likely result in an unwanted passenger, and I didn't take precautions to keep that passenger off my yacht, would it still be moral for me to kill the unwanted passenger? Sure, I knew that by pulling into that port there was a decent chance this unwanted passenger would end up on my yacht, but I did it anyway. And yep, that damn passenger wound up on my yacht. Does that make it moral to kill it?
I would say no. Even after taking some precautions, but insufficient, I guess I would still say no. And btw I tried make an anology to rape.

And yeah, it's hard topic, and I don't have a consistent "positive ethical theory" that would solve this without some unacceptable (at least for me) consequences. I may be more pro-choice tomorrow, if I get up on the other side of the bed. Usually I err on the side of demanding more mindfulness and responsibility from people.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

I'm a bit torn on this one although I agree that making abortion illegal is a bad decision.

However, if one argues that abortion is ok until the baby can feel pain I think one has to agree that a shot to the back of the head immediately following birth is ok as well.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:49 am However, if one argues that abortion is ok until the baby can feel pain I think one has to agree that a shot to the back of the head immediately following birth is ok as well.
This is a good point for people seriously wanting to discuss the morality of the issue.

I am still 100% against any laws for or against abortion, but I find it hypocritical that many who support a woman's right to choose, also tend to side with laws designed to "protect the children!"

Which leads me to another question, which may lead to another thread.

I was going to post it here, but it really isn't relevant to this topic, so I'll just start the other thread.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.