Right to Die/Assisted Suicide

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Lay Vegan
Diet: Vegan

Right to Die/Assisted Suicide

Post by Lay Vegan »

*disclaimer- my mental health is just fine, I want to discuss the ethics of assisted suicide to gain more insight on the matter*

(Most) of us hold the principle that people have the right to live, and not to be physically harmed (or killed) by other people. Many people consider this to be an /intrinsic/ right, except in select grey areas (capital punishment, abortion, war).
However, even within these grey areas, the right is revoked when his existence is deemed an imminent threat to the existence of others. (His right to life directly infringes on the other’s right to life) For example, a police officer is not violating one’s right to life if he is using the means necessary to stop a violent crime.

Thing get even more complicated when the person’s greatest “threat” to his existence is himself. Can he “override” his own right to live? More specifically, should people be given the right to die? I would just as easily assume that the right to die is intrinsic, except in grey areas (ie mental illness) in which suicide can lead to the significant harm of others.

Some people argue that only those suffering from terminal illness should have the right to die, and if so why?

I don’t have a hard stance on this, but I see no problem with a person who suffers from a terminal illness to decide the time and process of his own death, and under the aid of a physician. If his suicide most likely leads to less suffering and produces a better outcome, I would deem it ethical.

There have been scenarios where people struck with terminal illnesses have miraculously recovered, but if it highly unlikely the person will ever experience well-being, it may be less ethical to deny him the right to die, because the outcome would result in prolonged suffering.

I’d also like to clarify that I’m NOT talking about whether or not it is legal to commit assisted suicide (laws vary across states and countries). Rather, I’m asking whether or not assisted suicide can be considered moral, and if people should be given the right to die.

So my question is twofold. You’re welcome.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Re: Right to Die/Assisted Suicide

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

I agree with your points that people should have the right to die due to the fact that recovery from their illness is highly unlikely and that denying them the right to die would mean they would suffer more. It is because of this that I believe assisted suicide is moral and I hope it become legal in the UK.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Everyone here is going to die. Why should there be laws against helping someone die painlessly?

In regards specifically to assisted suicide, I think the "assister" should prepare it so the person wishing to die has to make an action themselves that will lead to their demise. Press this button here yourself, full disclosure that it will kill you.

Regardless of whether they are terminally ill, or just suffering from years of depression, each person should be able to choose their own path in life. It's heartbreaking that many otherwise healthy people take their lives, and I would hope anyone assisting them to die would try every other possible path before doing so. But laws against assisted suicide do much more harm that good, especially for people painfully dying from diseases that cause them unbearable pain for years.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Lay Vegan
Diet: Vegan

Post by Lay Vegan »

PsYcHo wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 am Everyone here is going to die. Why should there be laws against helping someone die painlessly?
Agreed, especially if intense agony and suffering are brought along with the threat of death.
PsYcHo wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 am In regards specifically to assisted suicide, I think the "assister" should prepare it so the person wishing to die has to make an action themselves that will lead to their demise. Press this button here yourself, full disclosure that it will kill you.
I believe physician assisted suicide is legal in 6 U.S. states, and it works exactly like this. The physician provides the drugs for the patient, and the patient self-admnisters the drug.
PsYcHo wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 am Regardless of whether they are terminally ill, or just suffering from years of depression, each person should be able to choose their own path in life. It's heartbreaking that many otherwise healthy people take their lives, and I would hope anyone assisting them to die would try every other possible path before doing so. But laws against assisted suicide do much more harm that good, especially for people painfully dying from diseases that cause them unbearable pain for years.
I'm curious, do children have the right to die? We impose all sorts of restrictions on our children, under the premise that they don't know what's "good" for them. Similar to the restrictions we impose on the mentally unstable. If a young child doesn't, or shouldn't have the "right" to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, why should they have the right to end their own lives?
PsYcHo wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 am But laws against assisted suicide do much more harm that good, especially for people painfully dying from diseases that cause them unbearable pain for years.
Agreed. People will attempt suicide regardless of the law (obviously a successful suicide means the person can't stick around to experience the consequences. I'm also wondering what percentage of suicide attempts put others at risk. If we provide a safe and effective route to death, we also be doing food for others.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Lay Vegan wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:12 pm I'm curious, do children have the right to die? We impose all sorts of restrictions on our children, under the premise that they don't know what's "good" for them. Similar to the restrictions we impose on the mentally unstable. If a young child doesn't, or shouldn't have the "right" to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, why should they have the right to end their own lives?
Nice question.

I think in the case of terminal illness, yes, the child should be able to decide if they want to stop hurting. What the parent thinks is best is often selfish. Another year of agony for a child just to "have more time with them.. " In situations where medical and other knowledge is relevant, a child isn't equipped to decide the best course of treatment. But if the only outcome is "you will keep hurting until you die, and it will get worse, and you are definitely going to die soon" , then absolutely the child should be able to decide.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.