Control of companies/governments over people

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Control of companies/governments over people

Post by miniboes »

I recently started using DuckDuckGo. I am only really willing to do something like this if it doesn't limit my experience. For example, I'll use DuckDuckGo because it completely replaces Google Search, but I'll still use YouTube and Google Maps, as there are no good alternatives as far as I know.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Volenta
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Re: Control of companies/governments over people

Post by Volenta »

miniboes wrote:I recently started using DuckDuckGo. I am only really willing to do something like this if it doesn't limit my experience. For example, I'll use DuckDuckGo because it completely replaces Google Search
Great! I tried some other search engines in the past, but DuckDuckGo is the only one I came across that gives very useful results (similar to Google).
miniboes wrote:but I'll still use YouTube and Google Maps, as there are no good alternatives as far as I know.
YouTube sadly has a monopoly on videos. The problem with alternatives is that it will never come even close regarding content.

With regards to maps; there are some great initiatives. One of them is OpenStreetMap:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
Maybe it's not fully mature yet (you decide), but it getting better. The data itself is open, so developers can wrap their own GUI (graphical user interface) around it if they like to do so (like GNOME Maps has done). Mapbox seems to have build an API for it (which DuckDuckGo uses).